Page 1 of 1
Posted: 14 Dec 2014, 22:46
nevermind
Hi everyone.

I have installed Re-Volt on a dual graphics laptop which features both Intel HD graphics (from CPU) and AMD Radeon R7 graphics (from GPU). I have noticed that RV chooses CPU graphics, but I would like to run RV from GPU graphics as CPU does not feature antialiasing and that is a bit annoying (aside from that, RV runs pretty well). OS is Win8.1 (I have to run RV using -emulatefullscreen).

It is impossible to change the video adapter to the GPU one ingame. Setting RV as "High performance" in AMD Dual Graphics menu and "Maximize performance" in AMD PowerPlay menu did nothing: in fact, running RV makes no change in dual graphics monitor (which is supposed to detect every single application which runs GPU or CPU graphics). Disabling CPU graphics from the Device Manager made the laptop to show a beautiful black screen (fortunately I could manage to re-enable them using the keyboard).

After using Google for hours, I figured out that this has something to do with Direct3D. In fact, I have another 3d game which runs GPU graphics only if OpenGL is chosen from ingame options (the other options are Software and Direct3D). All solutions found via Google are only applicable in nVidia graphics and/or depend on setting the executable to "High performance" or disabling CPU graphics from BIOS. Unfortunately, my BIOS does not feature an option to disable CPU graphics...

Has anyone ever met/solved this problem?

Posted: 20 Dec 2014, 03:02
Kenny
Have you checked this site yet?
It sounds like its dependent on the hardware manufacturer (of the graphics card or the mainboard?) whether you can switch between the two graphics options.

Since I never had a PC/Notebook with 2 (different) graphic chips to choose from I'm not sure how its supposed to work but in case you can run both parallel and let the game decide which one to choose then I think you should be able to select it with the ingame option "Video Settings->Video Device" (though that could also just be for multiple monitors, never had the chance to try that either) :P

Posted: 20 Dec 2014, 05:28
Cat
Have you tried disabling (not uninstalling) the Intel GPU from the Device Manager?

Posted: 20 Dec 2014, 05:53
Abc
Install windows 7

Since windows 8 DirectDraw is dropped and obselete and not encourage for use: thats why you get low fps in games such as revolt, and about that: Doesnt the context menu have a graphics selector or anything? do you have anything about selection in any settings ?

Posted: 20 Dec 2014, 07:10
nevermind
Maybe I forgot to explicitly mention that I know how to choose GPU or CPU (in AMD Dual Graphics menu) and in fact it works for other applications.
Kenny @ Dec 19 2014, 11:32 PM wrote:Have you checked this site yet?
That did not help at all.
RV does only find one video device, no matter the graphics I have chosen from AMD Dual Graphics menu.
Cat @ Dec 20 2014, 01:58 AM wrote:Have you tried disabling (not uninstalling) the Intel GPU from the Device Manager?
I guess you mean trying to disable Intel CPU (as I want to choose AMD GPU):
Me wrote:Disabling CPU graphics from the Device Manager made the laptop to show a beautiful black screen
Abc @ Dec 20 2014, 02:23 AM wrote:Doesnt the context menu have a graphics selector or anything? do you have anything about selection in any settings ?
AMD Dual Graphics menu lets you choose between CPU and GPU for any application, but RV just bypasses it, and actually, that menu does not seem to notice that RV is using neither GPU nor CPU graphics, as it does for other applications.

Posted: 20 Dec 2014, 19:21
Kenny
nevermind @ Dec 20 2014, 02:40 AM wrote: That did not help at all.
RV does only find one video device, no matter the graphics I have chosen from AMD Dual Graphics menu.
Oops sorry, for some reason I misread the question as "how can I enable CPU graphics for the game", not sure how/why that happened :P

However you are generally able to use the AMD Control Center to set the desired video device in other games (with the exception of the one game where you have to switch to OpenGL), right?

That the Control Center setting for the game has no effect at all sounds weird but perhaps their forums would be better suited for this question?

Posted: 01 Feb 2015, 19:47
nevermind
I have not been able to find a solution yet, but fortunately Huki's future OpenGL support for RV will probably solve this :)

Posted: 01 Feb 2015, 22:43
Abc
Have you guys tried disabling the card in BIOS or Device manager?

maybe SLI/Multiple is not supported?

After all this is not a RV issue but a graphics card driver issue.

Posted: 01 Feb 2015, 23:03
nevermind
Unfortunately, my BIOS does not feature an option to disable CPU graphics...
Disabling CPU graphics from the Device Manager made the laptop to show a beautiful black screen (fortunately I could manage to re-enable them using the keyboard).
(and disabling GPU graphics makes no sense as it is the device I want to run for RV)

Yes, it is a graphics issue, but I thought that maybe someone had ever sorted it out.

Posted: 01 Feb 2015, 23:43
Abc
nevermind @ Feb 1 2015, 02:33 PM wrote:
Unfortunately, my BIOS does not feature an option to disable CPU graphics...
Disabling CPU graphics from the Device Manager made the laptop to show a beautiful black screen (fortunately I could manage to re-enable them using the keyboard).
(and disabling GPU graphics makes no sense as it is the device I want to run for RV)

Yes, it is a graphics issue, but I thought that maybe someone had ever sorted it out.
i meant disable the OTHER GPU (the one you dont want)

Posted: 01 Feb 2015, 23:45
nevermind
The graphics device I do not want is the CPU, which is the one mentioned in the quotes.

Posted: 02 Feb 2015, 00:50
Huki
nevermind @ Feb 1 2015, 07:47 PM wrote: I have not been able to find a solution yet, but fortunately Huki's future OpenGL support for RV will probably solve this :)
If the AMD menu lets you select your graphics card and it does work for other OpenGL applications, then it's likely that it will work with RVGL too. Anyway, we'll know when our first build is released.

Posted: 02 Feb 2015, 01:03
Abc
nevermind @ Feb 1 2015, 03:15 PM wrote: The graphics device I do not want is the CPU, which is the one mentioned in the quotes.
Exactly.

Posted: 02 Feb 2015, 01:07
nevermind
Abc @ Feb 1 2015, 09:33 PM wrote:
nevermind @ Feb 1 2015, 03:15 PM wrote: The graphics device I do not want is the CPU, which is the one mentioned in the quotes.
Exactly.
In the quotes I'm saying that I can't disable the graphics device I do not want -.-
Huki @ Feb 1 2015, 09:20 PM wrote:If the AMD menu lets you select your graphics card and it does work for other OpenGL applications, then it's likely that it will work with RVGL too. Anyway, we'll know when our first build is released.
Great then!

Posted: 04 May 2015, 02:34
nevermind
Huki @ 1 Feb 2015, 09:20 PM wrote:
nevermind @ Feb 1 2015, 07:47 PM wrote: I have not been able to find a solution yet, but fortunately Huki's future OpenGL support for RV will probably solve this :)
If the AMD menu lets you select your graphics card and it does work for other OpenGL applications, then it's likely that it will work with RVGL too. Anyway, we'll know when our first build is released.
We were true :) my GPU just ran RVGL. I got over 180 fps while enjoying 4x antialiasing.

Hope you keep that good work on RVGL :thumbs-up:

(Needless to say, I have not been able to find a solution for this issue in original RV or D3D applications yet)

Posted: 05 May 2015, 00:31
sebr
I don't know about AMD but with my nVidia driver i have an option to tell win 8 wich graphic card I prefer

- Autoselect (by default, win choose)
- Integrated cpu (the one you don't whant tu use ;) ) (win use gpu only when nothing else can be done)
- NVIDIA gpu (the one you wish) (that way gpu is always in use and no black screen :P )

I hope you can find this on your AMD driver ...

note : try remove your latop battery, may be energy saver disable gpu use if the battery is in use...

Posted: 05 May 2015, 03:58
Abc
instead of removing laptop battery you just change power options to ensure high performance lol ;)

only nvidia mobile drivers allow you to pick between on board and gpu (so far) you just disable processor graphics on desktop bios and its gone from windows, make sure to switch display port :P