Page 1 of 1
Posted: 02 Sep 2014, 00:42
Pavlovic
Controls in Re-Volt become weird when i turn off V-Sync. I always get fps over 200 (in some seconds can be 750 :blink: ) and i think that controls reacting faster... I practised offline and i was maked one amazing time in just one shot (i still don't know how) but when i turned V-Sync on, everything become slower for me, control in curves and all that....and i got normaly 60fps again. Can anyone explane me what of that 2 options i should use anyway...?

Btw, i use 2a13.0820 Alpha Build patch and i hear some story around that is some versions better for scoring times, gameplay and all that stuffs but, honestly, i don't understand. Why is hard to score on 0820, but on other way, almost everyone recommend this version for online playing? :o Why there is no some ''stable'' version wich everyone use it (but only that version)? Today, someone use beta, someone alpha....maybe in future someone make gamma or eta version, who knows....

Probably i talking sh*ts over here, but maybe someone understand why i am confused of this...

Posted: 02 Sep 2014, 02:16
nevermind
V-sync fixes the frame rate to match your screen's refresh rate, if possible. Rendering 200 FPS is a waste if your screen is able to show only 60 of them. You may experience some tearing in the image, too. The only real drawback of enabling V-sync is the fact that the FPS may get too low. But 60 FPS is not a low frame rate, you should not notice any difference at all.

You may decide what is better for you. If you see a noticeable difference in your screen when enabling V-sync, you may want to disable it. If you did not get any difference, you should enable it.

Posted: 02 Sep 2014, 13:31
Ash Forest
I noticed the thing with the framerate and the egect of it too. When is disabled the image is vey bad. I use it off because my computer can support 60fps. And it is not this weird. You practicaly put more fetail and detail needs ram and ram tells you the frame rate. Hope you got the idea.

Posted: 02 Sep 2014, 14:43
Pavlovic
Guys, no fense but i think you don't understand what i want to tell you. I don't have problem with graphics details or something like that. I talk about the trick of controling cars. Some racers turn v-sync off cuz it's better and easier to control car in curves but other guys (example who started to play or don't know about this) killing themself on map to score some nice result. This can be realy usefull, ofc for someone who see diference between v-sync off and on in gameplay, for others, i realy don't know how to explane ...

Posted: 02 Sep 2014, 14:44
Phantom
You should use what suits you best.

The V-Sync feature depends on the graphic card and its capabilities. In my craptop with the damn Intel HD3000 Graphics I get 60 fps with VSync ON and 80 with VSync OFF. So I don't see any difference and I get the feeling that VSync ON works better. Maybe if I had nVidia or ATI I would feel the difference like you do.

I also heard comments from many fast players that started to make their best times when they discovered that turning VSync OFF makes the game work faster and this makes easier to turn in curves. They now see the game in slow motion so they can react faster.

About versions, it is just a myth invented by some people to discredit alpha. There is no difference between beta and alpha and the physics are exactly the same. Also the collission with the surfaces, the grip and the steering feel exactly the same. :rolleyes:

Posted: 02 Sep 2014, 14:54
Pavlovic
Ok then, i'll keep it off for now, it's realy better.

Btw, my comp specification:

Motherboard ECS RC410-M Asterope
Intel Pentium IV 640 3.2Ghz HT
ATI Radeon HD 4650 DDR2 512MB
1GB DDR2-557 RAM
Baracuda 160GB HDD
Monitor AGM 17 inchs

Posted: 03 Sep 2014, 08:20
mmudshark
I have always raced with V-Sync turned off as it improves my fps immensely. Higher fps means there is a much better flow to the game so your controller will seem to react better.
I'm not sure what the difference would be on a high end pc with lots of RAM and a great video card. Hopefully someone with a better system will have some input on this.

The 13.0815/20 versions are recommended because most people don't seem to have many issues with them. I use the 13.0820 and 14.0306 versions and there is no difference in the lap times I get. I prefer using the 14.0306 version because of the way you can change from one custom track to the next by typing in the track name rather than scrolling through hundreds of tracks. Other players like which ever version seems the best for them so it's all a matter of personal preference. I use what works the best for me at the moment.

Posted: 03 Sep 2014, 23:54
nevermind
ATI Radeon HD 4650 DDR2 512MB
That is way strange, my GPU is an ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series (this one is theoretically 'worse' than yours) and V-sync makes no difference in my FPS as long as FPS are under 60 (I get about 40~55 FPS at a 1920x1080 screen; when I choose something like 848x480, FPS are always 60 when V-sync is on, and about 110~120 when it is off). Anyway, the only difference I can spot is the fact that the GPU gets cooler when resolution is low and V-sync is on.

Posted: 04 Sep 2014, 02:05
Balint12
nevermind @ Sep 3 2014, 07:24 PM wrote: That is way strange, my GPU is an ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series (this one is theoretically 'worse' than yours) and V-sync makes no difference in my FPS as long as FPS are under 60 (I get about 40~55 FPS at a 1920x1080 screen; when I choose something like 848x480, FPS are always 60 when V-sync is on, and about 110~120 when it is off). Anyway, the only difference I can spot is the fact that the GPU gets cooler when resolution is low and V-sync is on.
Nevermind, don't you have Windows 8? With win8 the fps is much lower, than with previous versions. In windowed mode it is somewhat better though. You can add the -emulatefullscreen command to your revolt.exe, to keep the benefits of windowed mode regarding the FPS, and still play in full screen.

Posted: 04 Sep 2014, 02:20
nevermind
Nope, I have Windows 7. Anyway, the worst possible situation, 40 FPS, is a good rate for a 1920x1080 screen.

In fact, I get worse FPS when running RV in a window. I had tried once to add -emulatefullscreen command, and it has the same drawback of running RV in a window.

Posted: 04 Sep 2014, 03:11
Pavlovic
I have windows XP, revolt running at 1024x768 resolution...

Posted: 04 Sep 2014, 10:15
VaiDuX461
mmudshark @ Sep 3 2014, 04:50 AM wrote:I'm not sure what the difference would be on a high end pc with lots of RAM and a great video card.
Re-Volt depends a lot on CPU. GPU is for DirectX stuff (resolution, texture filtering, etc.).
RAM isn't really helpful with game's performance, everyone here should have more than 128mb of RAM. It only counts for stock game, without any modifications or addons.

Posted: 04 Sep 2014, 11:27
Phantom
Then how do you explain that I get barely 70-80 fps with VSync off in my Intel Corei3 and Pavlov gets up to 200-750fps with VSync off on his Pentium 4? GPU must have some kind of influence.

Posted: 04 Sep 2014, 18:01
nevermind
VaiDuX461 @ Sep 4 2014, 06:45 AM wrote:
mmudshark @ Sep 3 2014, 04:50 AM wrote:I'm not sure what the difference would be on a high end pc with lots of RAM and a great video card.
Re-Volt depends on your CPU. GPU and RAM will barely make any difference in performance, because the game graphics drawing engine uses CPU power instead of GPU. It's the way how it was coded.
lol.
  • Changing any GPU 3D setting (antialiasing, adaptive antialiasing...) may make a huge difference in RV appearance and performance.
  • When I run RV while my computer is doing some CPU work at a low priority, that work takes about 2%~5% more time (RV is completely unaffected). I guess you have to run a really old CPU to notice any change in RV performance.
  • If you read the RV Readme, you can find this line within Minimum System Requirements: 4 MB 3D Accelerator Card; so a graphics card is necessary. In fact, they recommend a better one: Second Generation 3D Accelerator Card.
  • Measure your GPU temperature when your PC is idle, and then measure it while running RV.

Posted: 04 Sep 2014, 22:11
VaiDuX461
It looks like I haven't explained this correctly and my statement was incorrect.
Yes, GPU is being used for resolution, texture filtering, textures and most other directx functions. I wanted to say that all DirectDraw4 (which is used for rendering, don't confuse it with D3DRender) functions and lights are being used by CPU.
I was only stating technical fact for the game. There obviously could be different reasons to affect fps for each GPU's, like card drivers.
Though, I can't be sure if I'm correct with everything I've said, I just want you to avoid my first post for now. Still, I've upgraded my card and got no performance differences whatsoever, same was for old PC.

Now that I answered this (I shouldn't have posted that first post in first place). I can talk about these questions without stating this thing above on this post, because I've already got some attention:
Phantom @ Sep 4 2014, 07:57 AM wrote:Then how do you explain that I get barely 70-80 fps with VSync off in my Intel Corei3 and Pavlov gets up to 200-750fps with VSync off on his Pentium 4? GPU must have some kind of influence.
First of all, if your cpu is newer, doesn't mean it's better.
Second, you didn't stated exact Intel Core i3 or your any other PC component specifications.
Third, depends on operating system (Windows 8 hurr durr)
nevermind @ Sep 4 2014, 02:31 PM wrote:Changing any GPU 3D setting (antialiasing, adaptive antialiasing...) may make a huge difference in RV appearance and performance.
Remember, that you use video card driver settings to enchant the game graphics, so of course it's going to use more GPU power.
nevermind @ Sep 4 2014, 02:31 PM wrote:If you read the RV Readme, you can find this line within Minimum System Requirements: 4 MB 3D Accelerator Card; so a graphics card is necessary. In fact, they recommend a better one: Second Generation 3D Accelerator Card
Obviously, you want to see something on screen instead of black :lol:. Nowadays we have CPU's with integrated graphic chips so this won't happen.

Anyway, I don't feel like talking about this anymore. Sorry about my earlier post.

Posted: 05 Sep 2014, 21:59
Huki
@pavlov: I wonder if it has something to do with your processor-OS combination (Pentium IV Hyper-Threaded + WinXP) which has some very peculiar timer issues with re-volt. My old PC has the same processor (Pentium IV 640 3.2Ghz HT) but isn't running XP right now (only Linux Mint) so I probably can't test.
In fact this bug was discussed earlier during WolfR4 development and a fix was finally added in v1.2 Alpha 13.0815 (see the mention in the readme: Rare timer bug with physics running faster than the race clock). See here for the announcement and here for the original report of this bug by human.

Can you confirm whether you are using the 13.0815 or newer alpha when you experience this bug?
Phantom @ Sep 4 2014, 11:27 AM wrote:Then how do you explain that I get barely 70-80 fps with VSync off in my Intel Corei3 and Pavlov gets up to 200-750fps with VSync off on his Pentium 4? GPU must have some kind of influence.
Perhaps you are using Win8 with -emulatefullscreen?. Rendering in windowed mode (real or emulated) is much harder for the graphics card to perform when compared to real fullscreen. In fullscreen the card can simply swap the previous frame image with the new one, but windowed requires copying each pixel of the new frame one by one to old one. So windowed and emulatefullscreen modes are quite slow, and in my old PC with an ATI Radeon Xpress 200 it's quite unplayable in windowed.

Posted: 05 Sep 2014, 23:22
Pavlovic
Huki @ Sep 5 2014, 05:29 PM wrote: @pavlov: I wonder if it has something to do with your processor-OS combination (Pentium IV Hyper-Threaded + WinXP) which has some very peculiar timer issues with re-volt. My old PC has the same processor (Pentium IV 640 3.2Ghz HT) but isn't running XP right now (only Linux Mint) so I probably can't test.
In fact this bug was discussed earlier during WolfR4 development and a fix was finally added in v1.2 Alpha 13.0815 (see the mention in the readme: Rare timer bug with physics running faster than the race clock). See here for the announcement and here for the original report of this bug by human.

Can you confirm whether you are using the 13.0815 or newer alpha when you experience this bug?
I realy don't understand what you talking about... :unsure: "Rare timer bug with physics running faster than the race clock", i don't have any problem with something like that. I just noticed bigger fps and litle bit better controling, everything else is same - normal...

Posted: 06 Sep 2014, 00:00
Balint12
I just noticed bigger fps and litle bit better controling, everything else is same - normal...
You mean by turning off V-sync? That's normal, we *almost* all have it. The game is smoother with better fps, cars turn better. I'd recommend turning it off everytime.

Posted: 06 Sep 2014, 00:53
Pavlovic
Balint12 @ Sep 5 2014, 07:30 PM wrote: You mean by turning off V-sync? That's normal, we *almost* all have it. The game is smoother with better fps, cars turn better. I'd recommend turning it off everytime.
That is the thing, that was in my mind all the time....