Page 1 of 1
Posted: 27 Aug 2014, 05:06
Abc
*LEGACY*: Please visit Check out re-volt.io for more stuff!

Hello everybody, i provide this from my own knowledge and experiences with the game.

• If you are getting

you can continue to use rvhouse but you may (not) be able to launch games, probably it may get annoying if you login frequently, you don't need to reinstall rvhouse, in fact reinstalling won't help.
you may not be able to run the game within RVH if you get the warning below (regardless of the warning above, if it happens without the above warning then re-register the game:

solution: check that you have the game and the game registry values exist

you may need to install and run 1207 or 1.2 beta to get these registry paths automatically generated, then you can upgrade to 1.2 alpha, but apply in the same folder where you ran the "register" copy

game settings: (this is the minimal of what rvhouse expects otherwise it displays the login warning)

Code: Select all

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Acclaim]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Acclaim\Re-Volt]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Acclaim\Re-Volt\1.0]
"Version"="v1.10"
DirectPlay: (rvhouse expects this to be able to launch the game successfully otherwise the "couldn't find re-volt..." message pops)

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectPlay\Applications\Re-Volt (without Wow6432Node for 32-bits OS)
"Guid"="{6bb78285-71df-11d2-b46c-0c780cc10840}"
"File"="revolt.exe"
"CommandLine"=""
"Path"="C:\\your\\folder"
"CurrentDirectory"="C:\\your\\folder"
"dwFlags"=dword:00000000
Note: the above"fix" applies for other programs used to play online (Voobly, GameRanger, Evolve, etc): they use these paths to detect the game location as well.

• only dev version and 1.10 and up is able to run in windows vista and up, you need to use -sli (only official Acclaim versions except demos and dev). in all versions Win98 compat is preferred but purely optional. Running the game elevated is a must too. same applies for RVHouse. (in vista and 7 UAC can be disabled, but on windows 8 and up you cant, only make it prompt-less otherwise running elevated explorer/shell causes big screen/immerse/metro/store apps to refuse to launch)

• installing 1.00/1.10 on a path that contains no spaces (valid path without quotes) is recommended especially when launching from RVHouse, it displays a CRC error if the path contains spaces. (the message may pop even in windows 98 compat)

• Network related info: you must have either firewall disabled or configured for allowing the following: (archive of defunct official doc: "DirectX: Ports required to play on a network" section "Using DirectX 7 or an earlier version" in "more information")
Connection Ports for Client and Host Configuration
TCP Outbound & Inbound 47624
UDP & TCP, Outbound & Inbound 2300-2400

• if you happen to see errors about missing folders in startup it means that you're trying to run the game alone or extracted in the wrong location if its a patch. either uninstall and reinstall the patch or simply re-run the version you had before and copy the patch files to the proper location and fix shortcuts, uninstall entry will become invalid if you choose to copy the files manually

Re-Volt requires: cars, levels, strings, edit, models, gfx and wavs folders besides dlls to minimally run. to change settings it requires frontend track and all its respective assets including wincar, wincar2 and wincar3 to be useable (and font.bmp to display characters)

------------------------------------
Thanks for your patience, Good luck and Happy racing!

PS: Right now this is the furthest i can remember for now, will update it soon
(Anyone can tell me how i strike text? mod/admin: feel free to fix it and note it, thanks)

EDIT: Actually, anyone is free to add stuff, any troubleshooting information helps, i just started it :P, we could make a compilation for everyone out there.

(feel free to copy this and make a better one for understanding and credit me, thanks)

Posted: 27 Aug 2014, 12:42
VaiDuX461
Made 2 registry files to register Directplay some days ago. You won't need to do anything, just run desired file. It should fix "revolt not found" error in RVHouse.
CD Dir: "C:\Program Files\Acclaim Entertainment\Re-Volt"
RVR Installer: "C:\Program Files\Acclaim\Re-Volt"
"Program Files (x86)" will work too.
If you have different path, just edit registry file with notepad.

Posted: 17 Sep 2014, 16:21
Kipy
It was nice of you that you wrote it down.
We should write a summary of connection problems and versions as well.
I think what we can find in RVR help section is not enough, but sadly I can't edit that section, only Irck can does it. And if I could do it, my English is not so understandable, so it can be a problem as well.
Btw whatever where we write it (ORVP, RVL, RVR (we should talk with Irck again)), but we can spare a lot of time what we spend for newbies. It makes the situation easier for newbies and for us as well.

Posted: 18 Sep 2014, 03:49
Abc
Kipy @ Sep 17 2014, 07:51 AM wrote: It was nice of you that you wrote it down.
We should write a summary of connection problems and versions as well.
I think what we can find in RVR help section is not enough, but sadly I can't edit that section, only Irck can does it. And if I could do it, my English is not so understandable, so it can be a problem as well.
Btw whatever where we write it (ORVP, RVL, RVR (we should talk with Irck again)), but we can spare a lot of time what we spend for newbies. It makes the situation easier for newbies and for us as well.
Good idea, Wikia haves some of this information too... (not the thing i described, but for info its ok just not troubleshooting.)

Would be great if everyone else contributes in this and maybe make it sticky and containing only the useful information merged or something like that.

RRR used to have tutorials about MAKEITGOOD stuff. i have no idea what happened to rst, he's a really nice guy but, as you can see with what he produced, he's very restrictive and strict with his stuff. as currently it contains info about the versions very well (i contributed to it with a very rare version (eur xp i think)) along with some other stuff worth digging, FYI, also we could make a better installer (look up revolt installer in here (orp) ) that builds up from retail 1.0 with acclaim patches (just 1207 probably will work good) + various 1.2 versions (1.2 beta probably would be useful to include (along with 1207 although i dont see it as a viable option anymore as limits can be reached easily (track and cars) ) if the user ever needs to re-register the game for some reason) and with registry keys required for online gameplay.

About the English, i could help you.. :)

Posted: 03 Dec 2014, 02:24
Abc
Bump, Updated the first post and bringing conscience ;)

maybe pin this?

Posted: 10 Dec 2014, 22:46
Kipy
You should add the issues what most newbies have:
- Router
- RV for Win7/8/Vista
- Versions (most used)

and if it's ready, we can send them this page and they can solve their problem by themselves.

Posted: 10 Dec 2014, 23:17
Abc
Kipy @ Dec 10 2014, 02:16 PM wrote: You should add the issues what most newbies have:
- Router
- RV for Win7/8/Vista
- Versions (most used)

and if it's ready, we can send them this page and they can solve their problem by themselves.
Ok, will update first post, gotta add these points. (first of all it contains RVH warning reasons)
Thanks

EDIT: the second point and ports are already covered, router specific is not, and I don't have a comprehensive table for easier version comparison

Posted: 20 Feb 2015, 07:32
revolting
very good post ABC :), never did I imagine all of the above would fix it so I just reinstalled the whole system :)

Posted: 20 Feb 2015, 18:57
jigebren
Abc @ 2 Dec 2014, 09:54 PM wrote: maybe pin this?
Done.

Posted: 20 Feb 2015, 20:16
Abc
jigebren @ 20 Feb 2015, 10:27 AM wrote:
Abc @ 2 Dec 2014, 09:54 PM wrote: maybe pin this?
Done.
:cheers: :thumbs-up: :yeah: :X: Thanks