Page 1 of 1
Posted: 27 Jan 2014, 12:34
Phantom
Hello again dear Pub members,

A polemic question this time:
Would you like Re-Volt Zone to implement support for animated GIFs in cars and tracks previews like Re-Volt Archive & Re-Volt Tip Top had?

If you don't know what these are, here the examples:

Average file size of these previews: 20-100kb.

Don't forget to check the other Poll here.

Posted: 28 Jan 2014, 00:08
zagames
First off, I will need to do some more research to make sure this is even possible. I haven't been able to find any way to resize animated images so far. Even if we wanted to, I dont think it can be done.

Posted: 28 Jan 2014, 03:56
urnemanden
While IronBob's animated previews are nice, I don't think it is worth the effort honestly. At least it would not be a very high priority in my eyes. :)

Posted: 28 Jan 2014, 06:15
Phantom
I don't see what is the big deal with it or why it has to be so complicated. I don't understand why you are wondering about resizing when there is nothing to resize. Just use them in their original size and in the simpliest way possible. They are just preview pictures for the site, so there's nothing to resize.

RVA and RVTT allowed them in their original resolutions.

Too bad that Killer_Wheels is not here. He would have better things to say than me in favor of this feature. He always defended it and said many times that one of the biggest missing features in RVZT was the lack of better preview pictures and screenshots to catch people's attention and to show the best of the track, car or the author. I believe the GIFs can contribute to change this for new content and respect the old author's previews forever.

Posted: 28 Jan 2014, 06:40
jigebren
Phantom @ Jan 28 2014, 01:45 AM wrote: Just use them in their original size and in the simpliest way possible.
+1.
Or simply use HTML attribute to let the browser do the resizing on the fly. By using "width: auto; height: 256px;" in the css you'll even preserve the aspect ratio.

It's really not worth sizing up the GIF image since you'll not add quality but they'll likely increase in size.