Page 1 of 1
Posted: 31 Dec 2013, 09:09
Ultrastar
Still my favorite car since 1999. Ok Toyeca is simple to drive but actually it's not the best...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pl5xQTmu0A
As you can see in this video Humma is hard to drive, but hard doesn't mean impossible.
At the end he says a "Cougar Tutorial" is in preparation (3 years later I think it's abandoned).

So I decided to train a lot with Cougar in order to see what its engine is capable... driving the fastest car of the game to perfection is a good challenge in my opinion.

Has someone tried to do that ?

I notice the best way for turning is the click-click method, with more tiny "click" than Humma (in the video). For shortcuts, same method than Humma. I'm training a lot in Toys in the Hood 1... it seems to have good results. 43" on average for a lap, for the moment it's not as good as Toyeca but I always sh*t the tunnel and dirt part. I'll probably make a video of my strats on this track with Cougar and after I'll discover all its secrets :)

Hey Toyeca please, http://puu.sh/64jAW.jpg :lol:

Posted: 31 Dec 2013, 09:31
Ultrastar
42"8xx get ! But I'm still a noob on the dirt part.

I wonder if going under the red car at the end is faster or not...

Posted: 31 Dec 2013, 10:10
Ultrastar
42"014 finally with Cougar on Toys in the Hood 1.
In time trial so no boost were used... and I don't know if it's a good time or not.
Red car shortcut : useless with this car. I took it almost perfectly but it's useless if the curve is taken perfectly.

Posted: 31 Dec 2013, 16:28
Balint12
Yeah, Cougar may be better on some really fast tracks, but I would say that if you race all the (stock) tracks Toyeca works out the best.

Here are some time trial records (some of Riki's times are missing, but I think these times are a good feedback on what is possible on each tracks)
As you can see on Toys in the Hood 1 Cougar is leading with 40.2. My best time is 40.5 with Cougar and with Toyeca too, though the Cougar time is somewhat better.
But for example on Museum 1 it's really hard to keep up with the Toyeca guys using Cougar.

Anyway, I encourage you to use Cougar! 42.0 is already a pretty good time, keep it up! :)

EDIT: Oh I forgot... the red car shortcut.. If you take that perfectly too, it's not useless, believe me!

Posted: 31 Dec 2013, 17:07
Phantom
Try to keep the wheels in contact with a surface almost all the time. When you reach the tunnel part prepare your position to enter the tunnel with the wheels touching the right wall. This way you avoid being on air at the moment of entering the tunnel, which makes Cougar win precious boost.

Also, the shortcut under the red car is essential. If you don't notice difference maybe you're not taking it correctly. Toys in the Hood 1 has 5 shortcuts, and this one is the most precious one. Practise different ways to enter on it and you will learn an excellent trick to save some metres. You can save up 1-2 more seconds if you apply everything correctly.

This is an example of how Zipper and Toyeca get the shortcut under the red car:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

I won't show you with Cougar. I want you to find your own way. :)

Good luck and keep working. I like people that work hard like you for their goals. Maybe you will be the cougar master someday, who knows. :)

Posted: 31 Dec 2013, 23:11
Ultrastar
Hey thank you for replies :lol:

Indeed I can take the shortcut better. In my PR with Cougar (42"0) I often drive on the road and I only take the first shortcut... so I can improve this record ! :)

Moreover the red car shortcut is probably less useful with Cougar than Toyeca... indeed Toyeca can take the tight (just before red car SC) without loosing lot of speed, but not Cougar who has to make large curve in order to keep the 39~40 mph... it's right, isn't it ?

Of course I believe you this SC is very important and I will train more often. Oh and I really have to practice the tunnel and dirt part too ! :P Moreover slowing down at the end of the tunnel and climbing the dirt wall seems to be the fastest way ?

Posted: 01 Jan 2014, 18:49
Balint12
It's exactly as important with Cougar as with Toyeca, I think.

About the dirt part.. the best way to take it is if you don't slow down, and take the dirt wall. It is easier if you go a little bit up to the right side of the tunnel, just before it ends, and then suddenly to the left, against the dirt wall.

[youtube][/youtube]

You can see it here with Toyeca, this part is pretty much the same with Cougar.
(Sorry for the lag on this track...)

Aaaaaaand...
Happy New Year to everyone! :)

Posted: 02 Jan 2014, 05:38
Phantom
Ultrastar @ Dec 31 2013, 02:41 PM wrote: Moreover slowing down at the end of the tunnel and climbing the dirt wall seems to be the fastest way ?
It may not be the fastest but it's the easiest and most effective in multiplayer. I strongly recommend you to start by learning this method. And you should start slowing down when you pass the middle of the tunnel, not at the end because it would be too late. Then at the end re-accelerate and turn left at the same time.

When you become more effective on this, you can start slowing down a little less every day, and one day you'll realise you don't need to slow down anymore. That is when you master the technique.
Ultrastar wrote:Moreover the red car shortcut is probably less useful with Cougar than Toyeca... indeed Toyeca can take the tight (just before red car SC) without loosing lot of speed, but not Cougar who has to make large curve in order to keep the 39~40 mph... it's right, isn't it ?
You have to create straight lines even in the curves. It's the only way to avoid losing speed in curves, specially in double curves like the one before the red car shortcut. Cougar needs straight lines to gain speed, and the straight lines won't be there by themselves. You have to make the curves become in straight lines by connecting points and calculate your steer angle in the track. There is a moment when you feel that you're not turning anymore, you feel the double curves like if they were straight lines and the car almost follows the flow by itself.