Page 1 of 1
Posted: 25 Oct 2013, 00:56
Alphacraft
Hi all,

I was wondering if there's any way to specify two different MP3's that RV can play for music on any given track. I know the REDBOOK line in the .inf file allows for two different songs to be played off the CD, but I don't want to have to create a CD and waste space if I can just point the game to two MP3's.

Thanks in advance!

Posted: 25 Oct 2013, 09:31
Phantom
As far as I remember, you can't. The MP3 method only allows 1 file.

But you can use any sound editor to mix multiple songs into 1 long mp3 file. It works better I think because there will not be annoying pauses when it changes from one song to another.

Posted: 26 Oct 2013, 00:29
Alphacraft
Phantom @ Oct 25 2013, 05:01 AM wrote:As far as I remember, you can't. The MP3 method only allows 1 file.

But you can use any sound editor to mix multiple songs into 1 long mp3 file. It works better I think because there will not be annoying pauses when it changes from one song to another.
So if the REDBOOK line specifies 2 and 5 for music tracks, will Re-Volt always play #2 (which I believe corresponds to track 4 if we consider track 1 as a data track) from the CD at the beginning of a race, or does it choose one of the listed tracks at random to start with?

Posted: 26 Oct 2013, 02:04
VaiDuX461
pawer126 @ Oct 25 2013, 09:59 PM wrote: So if the REDBOOK line specifies 2 and 5 for music tracks, will Re-Volt always play #2 (which I believe corresponds to track 4 if we consider track 1 as a data track) from the CD at the beginning of a race, or does it choose one of the listed tracks at random to start with?
It will choose one from: 2, 3, 4 or 5 (in your case). When the music track ends, it always go to next track (if the last track ends in playlist, it starts from start, let's say 5th, last music has ended and then it will play from 2nd track again). So at first, it chooses randomly from REDBOOK line and then play them in numerical order.

Most tracks uses REDBOOK lines 1 3 and 4 9 (except frontend - 0 0 and wild west - 10 10), I don't know why is that exactly (volume *fade out* only have 3rd music track from 1-3 group and 9th from 4-9 group, which probably explains why they done like this), but as I noticed these two groups are different in style kind of, maybe not that much. You can hear on 1-3 tracks some woman vocals, while on 4-9 are mostly plain music.

Most music tracks of PC and PS1 versions are mixed together at start/end so they have to play in correct order or else it won't make sense. DC version had extended, *fade in/out* versions, which I prefer if you use mp3 instead of REDBOOK.

Posted: 26 Oct 2013, 09:29
Alphacraft
What I ended up doing was taking a mixed-mode BIN/CUE image of RV and creating a new mixed-mode Nero image with the original data track replaced with a much smaller data track (which contains a single text file), but all of the audio tracks untouched. It's not my ideal solution, but it works, and the music is lossless. That's always a plus.

Thanks to Phantom and VaiDuX for the input!