Page 1 of 1
Posted: 05 Sep 2013, 20:29
Kipy
Yo guys!

I am interested in the track making particularly in extreme tracks. I already did cheap lego tracks.. but these aren't s interesting.. that's why I write this topic.
Can you help out me that how to make an extreme track?

I already read a lot of topic here about using RVGlue and 3ds Max and saw some videos.. but I never can did it right, because I not really understand how it works.. :rolleyes:

Can somebody help me or can do with me a tutorial and show the steps how to do it..? :D

Thanks in advance! :)

Posted: 10 Sep 2013, 16:02
tashamuri
[youtube][/youtube]
or
[youtube][/youtube]
and this:[youtube][/youtube]
then:
[youtube][/youtube]
and finally!!,this:
[youtube][/youtube]

Posted: 12 Sep 2013, 01:04
Kipy
tashamuri @ Sep 10 2013, 11:32 AM wrote: [youtube][/youtube]
or
[youtube][/youtube]
and this:[youtube][/youtube]
then:
[youtube][/youtube]
and finally!!,this:
[youtube][/youtube]
I know these videos, I saw them.. but how get these road and the cleared field..? :huh:

Posted: 04 Oct 2013, 23:59
HansSchmucker
Hallo, may I just chime in here?

I'm a complete newbie, never even playing the ReVolt PC version until yesterday (I own the PSX version), when it was released on GoG.

So here I am... finding all these nuggets of information, but they somehow don't form a picture yet.

I'm quite willing to write some comprehensive documentation about how to get everything to work with readily available tools (meaning, no pirated 3DS version and no request-only blender plugin), but so far, I don't even know what's needed.

Let's start with the basics:
1. When people talk about levels, they seem to talk about three very different things:
a) In-game editor "LEGO" levels
b) built from individual map-piece-models
c) a single model, exported from the 3D modelling application of your choice.
Is that correct? What I'm looking for is definitely c), but the answers I've found so far seem oddly evasive.

2. When building a single-model level, does ReVolt require the level to be in a leak-free hull, or should the polygons simply float around in empty space? Are there any other demands? Must objects have no holes? Anything else one should think of?

3. What data is needed by ReVolt at the very minimum to make the map "testable" (meaning that you can drive around on it, nothing more).
So far it sounds like you need the world model, the collision data and the paramters to set the start position. Is that correct? Apparently you can also include vis-data, AI-nodes, textures, animation, vertex colors and so on, but what's really needed?

4. What tools are available? So far I've heard of a proprietary blender plugin, an outdated 3DS-plugin and the RVTools, which seems to be the only one that's freely available, correct?

Posted: 05 Oct 2013, 03:28
Skarma
HansSchmucker @ Oct 4 2013, 06:29 PM wrote: no request-only blender plugin...
Hah, good luck with that. That's the -only- way to get it...

Posted: 05 Oct 2013, 04:04
urnemanden
HensSchmuker wrote:Let's start with the basics:
1. When people talk about levels, they seem to talk about three very different things:
a) In-game editor "LEGO" levels
b] built from individual map-piece-models
c) a single model, exported from the 3D modelling application of your choice.
Is that correct?
Correct.
HansSchmuker wrote:2. When building a single-model level, does ReVolt require the level to be in a leak-free hull, or should the polygons simply float around in empty space? Are there any other demands? Must objects have no holes? Anything else one should think of?
Re-Volt have no requirements for the track as such. You make polygon in empty space, and tell Re-Volt that this polygon is "collidable". There are no other demands except:

- Maximum 65536 (1.2 Alpha) / 16384 (1.2 Beta - GOG) polygons can have "collision data" in a level.
- There is a 10 texture maximum but the texture resolution can go as high as ~8000x8000 in 1.2 Alpha. 1.2 Beta / GOG limit is 256x256 for each texture.
- Personal advice: Keep your track at around 100000 polygons max if you want to ensure a decent FPS on most computers.
HansSchmuker wrote:3. What data is needed by ReVolt at the very minimum to make the map "testable" (meaning that you can drive around on it, nothing more).
- Depends on the mode. If you enter Developers mode (append -dev to when starting revolt.exe) and go into Instances mode, you just need a world file, a collision file and a parameter file with the start position AFAIK.
HansSchmuker wrote:4. What tools are available? So far I've heard of a proprietary blender plugin, an outdated 3DS-plugin and the RVTools, which seems to be the only one that's freely available, correct?
Of those I can only recommend RVTools for 3ds max -> Re-Volt and the unreleased Blender plug-in (which should be released soon AFAIK). The blender plug-in is FREE, not proprietary btw. Anyone can send an e-mail to jigebren and get it without a hassle. :)