Page 1 of 1
Posted: 09 Aug 2013, 09:44
Rexreynolds
silly question, I've got the official beta patch (11.208?) and have been toying with trying the 1225 alpha...so the question is, if need/whatever be, is reverting to an earlier patch as simple as re-applying the earlier patch? or am I missing something? thanks,
rex

Posted: 09 Aug 2013, 11:10
Phantom
Actually no, it's not so simple as re-applying a patch.

Until last year it used to be very simple because every new release had similarities, but new patches have changed way too much in comparison to the beta 0208 or 1.10. So if you install alpha 1225 and then re-install beta 0208 on the same installation, you will get a lot of errors about unrecognised words. If you want to go back to 0208 you will have to reinstall one by one a few folders in your re-volt directory, or reinstall the game completely and then apply the patch you want.

As an option, I can suggest you something. Keep your current installation with the patch you wish, and download this if you want to play with a different patch:

Download

This file is a Re-Volt with the 1.2 Beta 0208 integrated. It is portable (this means it doesn't require installation so you just extract it and play it). This way you can have both beta and alpha in your system at the same time. Update one of them and keep the other one as it is.

Posted: 09 Aug 2013, 12:01
Rexreynolds
glad I asked...not sure I'm quite up to the 'new and improved' a.i. and since I haven't beaten the game yet...methinks I'll hold off trying the 1225 patch. thank you for the info.
rex

Posted: 14 Aug 2013, 22:52
Huki
@Rex:
Simply re-applying an earlier patch will indeed work, even with the old Beta and v1.1 patches. The problem is that custom cars made for the newer Alphas (using custom shadows, etc), will give you useless error messages with old v1.2 builds before 11.1215 (that's the build in which we disabled the annoying messages).
So whether you plan to switch to the 11.0208 Beta later, or keep using the Beta now, you just have to be careful about the custom cars you install, that is all.
not sure I'm quite up to the 'new and improved' a.i. and since I haven't beaten the game yet
Hmm, while we haven't made the AI any harder, we did fix glitches and improved the recovery. The problem is that the AI in re-volt is inherently quite hard, but if you notice with v1.1 (or the official 1.2 beta), you can see in many cases, cars are just "stuck" and don't move for quite a long time. So yes, there has been some crazy glitches that we fixed.. so I guess the real difficulty of the game is starting to show up. I'd still think the default levels' AI nodes are not that hard (with the exception of nhood1).
The game does try to use a "rubberband" AI (slowing down winning cars and speeding up losing cars), but I'm starting to think it just makes matters worse (the reduction in speed is very little, so the winning AIs just get more stable). In the latest Alpha, I have disabled the rubberbanding.. let me know if that helps.

Posted: 14 Aug 2013, 23:29
Rexreynolds
I did notice the unrecognized word messages w/ the new cars & the current beta build...:) not a big problem since I have decided to not install custom cars for the moment (especially mine) till I see if I can get through the game. thanks for the info. I did sample the 1225 alpha patch...that was interesting. now that I have the 'portable' version mayhap I'll try out some of the newer creations.
rex