Page 1 of 1
Posted: 25 Mar 2006, 23:34
bspmail
Guys,

I'm attempting to get some friends interested in Re-Volt by organizing a multiplayer session but I had a few questions..

1) What's the best way to play multiplay these days? Gamespy, Kali, etc.. I see there is a multiplayer app being developed by someone here but honestly to get my friends interested I'm probably gonna have to use something that is tried and true first.

2) How's the stability online using say Gamespy? Do the games play pretty well? How many people can you typically get into a race. If I have 6 guys in a game that all have broadband is it gonna crap out on me or should it run ok?

3) Is there a way I can unlock all the cars/tracks in the game? I know there are cheats to unlock one or the other but I'd like to have all the cars/tracks unlocked. At some point I want to mess around with custom cars/tracks but I'd like to start with the in-game stuff.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

bspmail

Posted: 26 Mar 2006, 14:57
arto
1) What's the best way to play multiplay these days?  Gamespy, Kali, etc..  I see there is a multiplayer app being developed by someone here but honestly to get my friends interested I'm probably gonna have to use something that is tried and true first.
GameSpy is the best choice currently in that case.
2) How's the stability online using say Gamespy?  Do the games play pretty well?  How many people can you typically get into a race.  If I have 6 guys in a game that all have broadband is it gonna crap out on me or should it run ok?
It should run well even with 8 players. Some people have FPS probs with RV in GameSpy, but if your computers are fast there should be no problems.
3) Is there a way I can unlock all the cars/tracks in the game?
Yes. Download the registry cheat that unlocks everything from here:

http://www.revoltxtg.co.uk/var_files/rv_cheat.zip

Just run it to unlock everything. Another way is to do it with name cheats. When it asks for a name, enter CARNIVAL to unlock all cars and TRACKER for all tracks. You can press ESC to enter a new cheat and it remembers the old, and even change back to your old name.

Have fun and remember to open all the necessary ports for Re-Volt and GameSpy. That's one of the most common pitfalls playing online. Hope to see you and your friends regularly racing :).

Posted: 26 Mar 2006, 19:16
Manmountain
bspmail @ Mar 25 2006, 07:04 PM wrote:1) What's the best way to play multiplay these days?  Gamespy, Kali, etc..  I see there is a multiplayer app being developed by someone here but honestly to get my friends interested I'm probably gonna have to use something that is tried and true first.

2) How's the stability online using say Gamespy?  Do the games play pretty well?  How many people can you typically get into a race.  If I have 6 guys in a game that all have broadband is it gonna crap out on me or should it run ok?

3) Is there a way I can unlock all the cars/tracks in the game?  I know there are cheats to unlock one or the other but I'd like to have all the cars/tracks unlocked.  At some point I want to mess around with custom cars/tracks but I'd like to start with the in-game stuff.
1) Gamespy is a good place to start, you can meet and chat with other players around the world while your waiting for your friends to get online. The new dedicated app is RV House, and is quite usable as it stands, but even the author 'Arto' has recomended Gamespy, so it's up to you.

2) You can play upto a max of twelve players, and if you all have broadband there should be no game lag, just ensure firewalls and router ports are all open to allow Gamespy and Revolt to see each of you.

3) You could use the utility Revolt Extender which will allow you to select how much of the game you want to access then reset it to your individual needs.

Posted: 26 Mar 2006, 19:56
bspmail
Thanks guys! That is some great info.

Edit: Ok, I found the port info easy enough for Gamespy but I can't seem to find any port info anywhere for Re-Volt itself? Since I know almost all the guys I play with will be using routers is there any port info for Re-volt specifically?

I guess if all else fails we can just play in DMZ mode..