Page 1 of 1
Posted: 11 Jul 2013, 22:19
Manmountain
Hi all :hi-bye:

Although I have been out of circulation for the last 4 years and came back to a lot to catch up with, I feel that the FUN factor of this game is harder to find or see.

When I first encounted this game it was fun in a simple to understand action of play.
Then finding RVD 'Re-Volt Downloads' run by Wayne Lemonds, my enthusiasum and interest for developing basic cars and tracks for the game began to grow.

Slowly but steadily more cars and tracks were produced, some with 3D Max and ZModler. Things were looking great.

Then came a whisper of 'resouce code', and like Meercats, heads started poping up with fantastict ideas and possibilties.
The code was a reality and fingers started being put in the pie.

At this point I became a bit of no-show, was also lost our dear friend GWC 'Geoff', but things were still happening, ideas were still churning. Citywalker seemed to have solved and revealed the AI section of the parameters file(many thanks for that).

We now have Huki and jigebren to thank for their input and personal time in developing V1.2 and Blender plugin, and also thanks to Zagames for ensuring the database of everything Re-Volt stays current and easy to find.

My point is that my own input is mere personal and objective observations, sometimes not helpful in the slightest. I know nothing of any 3D utilities or compiling program data. The upgrades and applications of V1.2 seem just too much for me to fully understand. A lot of the time I feel myself asking Why?
The majority of new post are full of code and descriptions of interactive game flaws, which just go straight over my head.

All in all the game seems to be losing it's fun factor in favour of new (not necessarily needed) technology, and I'm feeling a little lost. :unsure:

I am going to try and stay out of future debates and leave the ideas to the Genius amoung you guys. :ph43r:

Posted: 12 Jul 2013, 00:40
jigebren
Man, I think I quite know what you feel... :mellow:
You've not been around for years, things (and people) have changed quite noticeably and now you probably have the feeling that the v1.2 evolution has made your RV knowledges obsolete - which is somehow true - but not totally though. For example the AI has not changed much, and what you knew before is still for the most part valid. BTW, I take this opportunity to mention that I'm currently thinking about checking our AI modifs to keep only the necessary and ensure the AI racing line is as close as possible as with the 1.1 (stuff like improved AI car recovery should be kept though). So you're very likely still a AI guru, even with 1.2. :)

The fact is you can't get any fun if you don't have any project (hmm, unless of course you're just a racer).

If you just read the boring and endless discussions about how and what v1.2 is or is not allowed to become, then it's not surprising you just feel lost and get the feeling you're not aware anymore of what's going on.

On the opposite, if you had something in mind, like a new theme for a track, and you start to dig into v1.2 added features and see the overall benefit of working it, you may very well get more excited about RV again. I agree there's currently not much documentation about v1.2 but just by reading the changelog you should get everything you need.

And last, don't feel inferior because you can't code, etc., much people here can't either, and well, it doesn't seem to prevent anybody from being positively convinced that they know very well what we have to do. :D

Posted: 12 Jul 2013, 03:54
Cat
MM, would you be interested in making collabs with me? I've seen you did so with other car makers.

Posted: 12 Jul 2013, 04:12
Manmountain
I would hope that everyone knows that I am always willing to help anyone test new car developements.

I hope your offer is not an emotion crutch to help maintain my level of interest and community involvement, as you don't have to, although greatly appretiated. -_-

Posted: 12 Jul 2013, 04:34
Cat
Manmountain @ Jul 11 2013, 07:42 PM wrote: I hope your offer is not an emotion crutch to help maintain my level of interest and community involvement...
Hey, sounds like a good... uh, no, wait, I just want to work with somebody.

Posted: 12 Jul 2013, 04:41
Manmountain
OK, I think I'm somebody ?:mellow:

Send me what ever you want me to look at.

Posted: 12 Jul 2013, 10:31
Cat
Manmountain @ Jul 11 2013, 08:11 PM wrote: OK, I think I'm somebody ?:mellow:
Sorry, did i use an improper term?

Posted: 12 Jul 2013, 22:06
Huki
Honestly, I don't think ORP has turned into a boring old developer forum..

Hmm wait...

Oops.. I take that back :blink: :unsure: :huh: :o :ph43r:

Posted: 12 Jul 2013, 23:38
jigebren
Do we really look like old developers? :huh:

Oh no... only the forum is. :D

Posted: 13 Jul 2013, 03:32
Manmountain
Cat @ Jul 12 2013, 06:01 AM wrote:
Manmountain @ Jul 11 2013, 08:11 PM wrote: OK, I think I'm somebody ?:mellow:
Sorry, did i use an improper term?
No.
Just me, and my jovial banta. :D

Posted: 17 Jul 2013, 02:46
zagames
Haha! I do NOT remember writing Old in front of Developer Forum! Let me take care of that... lol. MM, the whole purpose of my RVZ/T Remodel was to make things more simple and fun. I spent a lot of not-fun hours working to make it that way, lol. I also think the community is evolving faster than I can keep up with it so I'm not entirely sure what I accomplished with the new RVZ... I'm sure you also noticed that other forums may or may not be more fun than our old pub. It seems we are a little behind the curve, but I feel more comfortable like that. lol