Page 1 of 1
Posted: 01 Jun 2013, 13:06
RacerBG
There was a time when Re-Volt was running very well on my laptop with Linux. I had used Wine and Vineyard but after some time looks like their configuration broked and that's all. I had tried even only Wine (1.5.31) to run Re-Volt but the result wasn't good.

Any suggestions?

Posted: 02 Jun 2013, 02:59
MarvTheM
I'm using Wine 1.2.3 on my Mac. It runs the latest 1.2 alpha perfectly.

Posted: 02 Jun 2013, 13:06
urnemanden
I am always running the latest Re-Volt alpha under the latest version of WINE (currently 1.5.31) and haven't really experienced any issues as such. I am using Arch Linux 64-bit.

The only thing I can recommend you is to install native directplay libraries for online playing. You can do so via 'winetricks directplay' (provided you have winetricks installed). Re-Volt should not require anything other than that and lib32-alsa-lib I think. The best thing you can do if you experience trouble is to try start Re-Volt via a terminal through 'wine path/to/revolt.exe'. Then watch if the output in the terminal gives you anything - maybe it is unable to find a library or something else.

What gfx card do your laptop use? I have heard that AMD/ATI implementations have some graphical glitches etc. now and then. Personally I use Intel HD4000/NVIDIA GTX 660m via Bumblebee.

Posted: 02 Jun 2013, 13:11
RacerBG
Re-Volt is working fine after installation, don't worry. :) Im using Wine and my laptop is Intel based.

Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 07:34
sebr
if i use file browser and duble-clic on revolt.exe : revolt work perfectly

but if i try 'wine path/to/revolt.exe' on a terminal i get revolt error "can't find language file: 'strings&#092;English.txt'!" ... <_<

if i use file browser and duble-clic on rv_house.exe : nothing :unsure:

but if i try 'wine path/to/rv_house.exe' on a terminal i get :
err:module:import_dll Library pthreadGC.dll (which is needed by L"Z:&#092;&#092;media&#092;&#092;sebr&#092;&#092;OS&#092;&#092;Program Files (x86)&#092;&#092;RV House&#092;&#092;rv_house.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:&#092;&#092;media&#092;&#092;sebr&#092;&#092;OS&#092;&#092;Program Files (x86)&#092;&#092;RV House&#092;&#092;rv_house.exe" failed, status c0000135
sebr@N76VJ:~&#036; :angry:

what should i do ? :blink:

Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 16:23
urnemanden
SebR wrote:but if i try 'wine path/to/revolt.exe' on a terminal i get revolt error "can't find language file: 'strings&#092;English.txt'!" ...&nbsp; dry.gif
Hey Seb, I believe you need to do "Cd /path/to/Re-Volt/folder/" first, before you can do "wine revolt.exe". Otherwise, wine will start revolt.exe from the folder you have currently navigated to.

As for RV House, I don't know, but you could try the above and try running rvhouse.exe from terminal again and see what error you get since it doesn't start. :)

Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 19:10
sebr
thx for the tip, i can launch revolt from terminal
(i just meed to know how to mount revolt folder from terminal, because linux don't mount this DD at start AND how to includ this 3 command on the same Launcher...) :P

But with rv-house ... :
err:module:import_dll Library pthreadGC.dll (which is needed by L"Z:&#092;&#092;media&#092;&#092;sebr&#092;&#092;Data1&#092;&#092;Acclaim Entertainment&#092;&#092;RV House&#092;&#092;rv_house.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:&#092;&#092;media&#092;&#092;sebr&#092;&#092;Data1&#092;&#092;Acclaim Entertainment&#092;&#092;RV House&#092;&#092;rv_house.exe" failed, status c0000135

Edit 1 :
I try to do your qhull.exe tip (for blender plug-in) with pthreadGC.dll but i get the same error :(

Edit 2 :
I add a copy of pthreadGC.dll in rv-house folder and now it start, allow me to connect, join and launch a game BUT can't find revolt directory on registery :angry:
should i launche revolt v1.1 (12.07) in the same folder once before ?

Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 20:29
urnemanden
Sebr wrote: thx for the tip, i can launch revolt from terminal
(i just meed to know how to mount revolt folder from terminal, because linux don't mount this DD at start AND how to includ this 3 command on the same Launcher...)
What I did was that I created a file, named it "revolt", made the file executable and placed it in /usr/bin. Then I edited the file and added:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
cd /home/bastian/.wine/drive_c/Program&#092; Files&#092; &#092;&#40;x86&#092;&#41;/Acclaim&#092; Entertainment/Re-Volt/
wine revolt.exe
And now I can just write "revolt" in my terminal, and the game will start.

Similiarly you could also have scripts called "rvdev" for DEV mode, "rvwindow" for windowed mode etc. :)

As for RV House: Since I don't have it installed at the moment I can't really say what's going wrong but once revoltzone.net is up and running I'll give it a try myself.

Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 22:34
sebr
thx now i can run revolt and rvhouse from terminal

and i add scortcut to those scripts on my desktop and they work just fine as in windows :P

now two pending steps :
- mount automaticaly revolt and rvhouse folder (or full sata hard-drive sda and sdb) at linux start ... (linux is on sdc)
- allow rvhouse to find revolt folder

(if i try to join by ip i get : "Can't enum session" revolt error message) <_<

hope revoltzone.net will be up and running soonly B)

Edit : rv-house can be found here

Edit 2 : I'm not so far from the truth
i open wine's regedit.exe and creat all needed keys (windows XP keys because wine is configured for it)

the only bad thing is to find the good Path, if i use the path of the image above i get "Can't connect to lobby session" even if it's me the host :unsure:
if i use "/usr/bin/revolt" : rvhouse start revolt as single race :blink:

I'll soonly become complettely crazy :o

Posted: 25 Jul 2013, 00:21
sebr
urnemanden @ Jun 30 2013, 03:59 PM wrote: As for RV House: Since I don't have it installed at the moment I can't really say what's going wrong but once revoltzone.net is up and running I'll give it a try myself.
up :)

Posted: 18 Aug 2013, 02:32
urnemanden
SebR wrote:the only bad thing is to find the good Path, if i use the path of the image above i get "Can't connect to lobby session"
I tested RV House on linux recently and it seemed to work fine for me. anyway, the path you need to define here, is the "windows" path since what WINE does is to pretend that its a windows environment.

in my installation, I have all WINE stuff inside /home/bastian/.wine/drive_c/ - I think this is the default. That means the "drive_c" folder equals to C:&#092;. If you can't see your ".wine" folder, press Ctrl+H to unhide the folder (it is hidden by default).

If you want to keep your configuration though, then I will suggest you look inside winecfg and check what "drive" /media/sebr/Acclaim Entertainment/Re-Volt is mounted as under the "Drives" tab. If it isn't mounted, then press "add" and add the folder as a drive. Then use that path inside the registry.

Posted: 18 Aug 2013, 08:09
sebr
unfortunately nothing better <_<
rvhouse launch revolt, black screen (the one with connecting message) but right before an error message : DPERR_UNINITIALIZED Can't connect to lobby session!

even if i'm alone on rvhouse ... If i do the same under windows revolt start normaly :( :unsure:

Posted: 18 Aug 2013, 21:27
urnemanden
What distribution do you use? They may have included firewall software which you need to configure before being able to play Re-Volt online.

Posted: 18 Aug 2013, 21:46
Huki
sebr @ Aug 18 2013, 08:09 AM wrote: unfortunately nothing better <_<
rvhouse launch revolt, black screen (the one with connecting message) but right before an error message : DPERR_UNINITIALIZED Can't connect to lobby session!
Just a quick reply: DPERR_UNINITIALIZED means the directplay library was not loaded properly (dplayx.dll in Windows), or maybe there is a version mismatch (re-volt uses DirectPlay 6).
If you run the latest 13.0815 installer, do you get any error message at the end related to Lobby Registration?

Posted: 18 Aug 2013, 22:01
sebr
@Urne : Ubuntu 13.04 and xfce

@Huki : i didn't use the installer, only unzip it ... and only take files from main directory and gfx

just tryed with revolt beta 208 and it's the same ...
i'm trying to add dplayx.dll ...

Posted: 18 Aug 2013, 22:08
Kenny
sebr @ Aug 18 2013, 05:31 PM wrote: @Huki : i didn't use the installer, only unzip it ... and only take files from main directory and gfx
If you didn't run any installer before (except maybe the original one) you should do it at least once, it adds necessary keys to the Registry for DirectPlay to work.

Or you can just do as huki described in the update topic:
huki wrote:- Use a .reg file like this: (update the path, remember to use double backslash)

&#91;HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;SOFTWARE&#092;Microsoft&#092;DirectPlay&#092;Applications&#092;Re-Volt&#93;
"Guid"="{6bb78285-71df-11d2-b46c-0c780cc10840}"
"File"="revolt.exe"
"CommandLine"=""
"Path"="C&#58;&#092;&#092;Program Files&#092;&#092;Acclaim Entertainment&#092;&#092;Re-Volt"
"CurrentDirectory"="C&#58;&#092;&#092;Program Files&#092;&#092;Acclaim Entertainment&#092;&#092;Re-Volt"
"dwFlags"=dword&#58;00000000
"Launcher"=""
Just copy the whole text in the code section into an empty file (change the "Path" directory to the one where the revolt.exe is), save it, rename the extension to ".reg" and execute it.
It will only add those keys to your registry, they shouldn't do any harm.

edit @below: Oh sorry, I didn't see that, the browser automatically jumped to the last post :P

Posted: 18 Aug 2013, 22:13
sebr
if you look my previous post : Posted: Jun 30 2013, 06:04 PM

you'll see that i already check the registery

using dplayx.dll from my win8 on wine don't let me start rv-house without crash ...
or I may do something wrong :huh:
wine configuration is not easy for me :unsure:

Posted: 20 Aug 2013, 00:44
Huki
Are you using winetricks as mentioned here?

It could also be that the path in your DirectPlay registry is not right. I think you should try running the latest 1.2 installer just in case.

Posted: 21 Aug 2013, 05:32
sebr
finaly winetricks was THE solution
big test this week-end ...

here is my actual wine config

Posted: 21 Aug 2013, 12:55
urnemanden
Awesome, that is great to hear SebR!

One question: Did you manage to get in-game music from Re-Volt CD working too?

Posted: 21 Aug 2013, 21:35
sebr
no revolt cd music <_<
tryed with original revolt cd, linux mount 2 cd
a 'REVOLT' data cd (with all windows files)
AND a no name AUDIO CD (track 1 to 14)

So revolt can't find music because audio cd don't have 'REVOLT' label and data cd don't have audio track 2 to 15 :angry:

If you want music you MUST found a way to force linux to mount only 1 'REVOLT' labeled device with track 1 (data) and track 2 to 15 (audio)

Posted: 25 Aug 2013, 22:52
sebr
**UPDATES**
sebr @ Jun 30 2013, 06:04 PM wrote: now pending steps :
- mount automaticaly revolt and rvhouse folder (or full sata hard-drive sda and sdb) at linux start ... (linux is on sdc)
by editing /etc/fstab and adding this

# montage de win8 OS
/dev/sda4 /media/sebr/OS/                                 ntfs    default
# montage de win8 Data1
/dev/sdb1 /media/sebr/Data1/                             ntfs    default
Linux automaticaly mount my "OS" ntfs drive (with rvhouse) and my "Data1" ntfs drive (with revolt) :P

AND now i have revolt cd music in game !!
My revolt cd image 1:1 was made with CloneCD (alow me to start revolt 1.0 without securom emulation)
I have 4 files : Re-Volt.img, Re-Volt.sub, Re-Volt.CCD, Re-Volt.cue
The main difficulty is to mount it corectly
From ppa:cdemu/ppa installing gcdemu

sudo add-apt-repository ppa&#58;cdemu/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gcdemu
then start CDemu and from task bar, ask him to mount Re-Volt.cue (music not working with Re-Volt.img) and enjoy :)

don't forget to configure fierwall (i disabled it)

last pending thing : make a script to do it from linux start and found a fraps like ...

Posted: 06 Sep 2013, 00:51
arto
Nice to see more people using Re-Volt (and RV House) in Linux :).

Posted: 07 Sep 2013, 18:18
urnemanden
Thank you so much for providing the images SebR! Using your image and cdemu I was also successfully able to get the Re-Volt music running.
sebr @ Aug 25 2013, 06:22 PM wrote: last pending thing : make a script to do it from linux start [..]
I did not use a GUI for cdemu though, since the GUIs available are old and incompatible if you use the latest GTK libraries like me (didn't test qt tho). Anyway, mounting the image from terminal is easy as cake and I even made a script which I have setup to be run everytime I start Re-Volt.

This is the final script.

#!/bin/bash
cdemu load 0 /home/bastian/.wine/drive_c/Program&#092; Files&#092; &#092;&#40;x86&#092;&#41;/Acclaim&#092; Entertainment/Re-Volt/CD/Re-Volt.CCD
cd /home/bastian/.wine/drive_c/Program&#092; Files&#092; &#092;&#40;x86&#092;&#41;/Acclaim&#092; Entertainment/Re-Volt/
wine revolt.exe
cdemu unload 0
As you can see, when the script is started, the Re-Volt CD is mounted with cdemu, then the working directory is changed to the Re-Volt folder and Re-Volt is started using wine. Once Re-Volt exits, the script will make sure that cdemu unloads the Re-Volt CD again.

IF the image *DOES NOT* mount, try to disable the cdemu-daemon systemd service first and terminate any cdemu-daemon processes which may be running.

sudo systemctl disable cdemu-daemon.service
At the moment I have this script in a file which is located at: /bin/rvfullscreen. Make sure that it has executable permission:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 241 Sep  7 14&#58;26 /bin/rvfullscreen
If you have a Re-Volt App shortcut, you can set it up so that the shortcut starts the "rvfullscreen" script. The desktop shortcut should be located at:

~/.local/share/applications/wine/Programs/Acclaim&#092; Entertainment/Re-Volt/
Open it with a text editor and change the "Exec=" line to:

Exec=rvfullscreen
The final *.desktop file should look something like this:

&#91;Desktop Entry&#93;
Name=Re-Volt
Comment=Re-Volt
Exec=rvfullscreen
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Path=/home/bastian/.wine/dosdevices/c&#58;/Program Files &#40;x86&#41;/Acclaim Entertainment/Re-Volt
Icon=F55B_revolt.0

Posted: 07 Sep 2013, 21:05
sebr
i'll try your script later Urne, many thanks for your help B)

Just to let all of you know that i also can do all MAKEITGOOD stuff and SAVE IT :P
from XFCE menu: Settings -> Window Manager -> keyboard tab
disabling (or changing) Workspace 1 shortcut (ctrl + F1) to Workspace 12 (Ctrl + F12) :D
Look here if you don't understand what i'm saying

The bad thing is that on revolt my keyboard become qwerty, but with all others software under wine my keyboard is azerty (as it should do) What can I do ?

Linux Bug (?) in multy-player i can't have chat with TAB key
But TAB start game when i'm host and F12 work fine too...

Posted: 07 Sep 2013, 22:13
urnemanden
Sebr wrote:Just to let all of you know that i also can do all MAKEITGOOD stuff and SAVE IT&nbsp; tongue.gif
from XFCE menu: Settings -> Window Manager -> keyboard tab
disabling (or changing) Workspace 1 shortcut (ctrl + F1) to Workspace 12 (Ctrl + F12)&nbsp; biggrin.gif
Look here if you don't understand what i'm saying
I use GNOME 3 and not XFCE myself but it is good to know there is a workaround for the keyboard shortcuts. Saving and other Ctrl+F* buttons work fine here. :)
Sebr wrote:The bad thing is that on revolt my keyboard become qwerty, but with all others software under wine my keyboard is azerty (as it should do) What can I do ?
If you run re-volt from a terminal, does wine state anything about it? It may be something which wine doesn't yet support. I cannot tell since I am on a QWERTY keyboard myself.
Sebr wrote:Linux Bug (?) in multy-player i can't have chat with TAB key
Since when is chat activated with the TAB key? I thought it always was F12. I never tried pressing Tab for chat tho so maybe it does exist.. :P

Posted: 07 Sep 2013, 23:05
sebr
if i start revolt from terminal :
wine revolt.exe

sebr@N76VJ&#58;~&#036; cd '/media/sebr/Data1/Acclaim Entertainment/Re-Volt'
sebr@N76VJ&#58;/media/sebr/Data1/Acclaim Entertainment/Re-Volt&#036; wine revolt.exe
fixme&#58;win&#58;EnumDisplayDevicesW &#40;&#40;null&#41;,0,0xcbf4b8,0x00000000&#41;, stub!
fixme&#58;win&#58;EnumDisplayDevicesW &#40;&#40;null&#41;,0,0xcbf408,0x00000000&#41;, stub!
err&#58;xvidmode&#58;ComputeGammaFromRamp low-biased gamma ramp &#40;1008&#41;, rejected
fixme&#58;ddraw&#58;ddraw7_FlipToGDISurface iface 0x147d00 stub!
err&#58;ole&#58;CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
err&#58;ole&#58;CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
fixme&#58;d3d_surface&#58;wined3d_surface_flip Ignoring flags 0x1.
fixme&#58;d3d_draw&#58;drawPrimitive Using software emulation because manual fog coordinates are provided
sebr@N76VJ&#58;/media/sebr/Data1/Acclaim Entertainment/Re-Volt&#036; 
/usr/bin/revolt

sebr@N76VJ&#58;~&#036; revolt
fixme&#58;win&#58;EnumDisplayDevicesW &#40;&#40;null&#41;,0,0xcbf4b8,0x00000000&#41;, stub!
fixme&#58;win&#58;EnumDisplayDevicesW &#40;&#40;null&#41;,0,0xcbf408,0x00000000&#41;, stub!
err&#58;xvidmode&#58;ComputeGammaFromRamp low-biased gamma ramp &#40;1008&#41;, rejected
fixme&#58;ddraw&#58;ddraw7_FlipToGDISurface iface 0x148a88 stub!
fixme&#58;d3d_surface&#58;wined3d_surface_flip Ignoring flags 0x1.
fixme&#58;d3d_draw&#58;drawPrimitive Using software emulation because manual fog coordinates are provided
sebr@N76VJ&#58;~&#036; 
I can't see anything about keyboard settings here

About revolt cd script, i did it a bit differently
I disable GUI for cdemu from linux autostart
made a file called 'revoltcd' in /usr/bin and give it executable permission

#!/bin/bash 
cdemu load 0 /media/sebr/Data1/CDS/Re-Volt/Re-Volt.cue
and i had it in linux autostart, this way when my computer start, revolt cd mount automaticaly (like i did in windows) and become ready to use all the time

Work exactly like i wish (and like from windows) B)

Posted: 08 Sep 2013, 00:15
sebr
urnemanden @ Sep 7 2013, 05:43 PM wrote:
Sebr wrote:Linux Bug (?) in multy-player i can't have chat with TAB key
Since when is chat activated with the TAB key? I thought it always was F12. I never tried pressing Tab for chat tho so maybe it does exist.. :P
strainge now tab key work just fine ???

Edit : sometime chat become complettely crazy, i can enable it but can't writing anything ...
it generaly append when i switch between workspaces (1 with revolt and another on revolt race to check my times)