Page 1 of 1
Posted: 28 Apr 2013, 17:43
RCBandit
Hi guys!

I was busy building a revolt track. I hope it eventually would be a great one!

I want to ask for some help testing it..
Now, I have some problems, because the fps are low and the car is not reacting nicely.
Are there people willing to help get this track better?

The track

Thank you!

RCBandit

Posted: 28 Apr 2013, 19:25
Kenny
It's a good track though in its current state it's too empty for me.
and the car is not reacting nicely
What do you mean with that? Are you speaking of the AI or about car handling in general on this particular track?

If you want to improve FPS you can at least add some mipmap textures so the game doesn't need display the 512x512 all the time no matter how far away you are.
Simply resize a current texture to half of its size, save it as ".bmp" and change the file extension to ".bmq" (though the filename has to remain the same).

You probably know this yourself but you'll still need to set Pos and AI nodes. Also you should move the starting position a little bit to the right, the way it is currently set makes my car flip evertime the race starts.

Posted: 28 Apr 2013, 19:35
RCBandit
Yeah, i know, the track is boring empty at this time. I will add features to it, promise!
But now, I'm having trouble with the FPS and speed so I want to solve this first.
What do you mean with that? Are you speaking of the AI or about car handling in general on this particular track?
No not the AI, it's shocking because of low FPS.

But in the meanwhile i noticed overlapping faces.. So I will update soon.
If you want to improve FPS you can at least add some mipmap textures so the game doesn't need display the 512x512 all the time no matter how far away you are.
Simply resize a current texture to half of its size, save it as ".bmp" and change the file extension to ".bmq" (though the filename has to remain the same).
How does that work really? If the face is not 'on the screen' then revolt automaticly 'renders' the mipmap?

Posted: 28 Apr 2013, 20:39
r6turboextreme
I've checked it, I love the graphics. But you've doublesided the faces, and man! how many polies is this track? I was like holy pooh, that track must have like 10k-15k polies. That is a little bit too much, especially when it's crammed up. You can use visiboxes to reduce the effect. Put the farclip lower too, in the inf file. Copy it from another track, nhood is a good choice.
R6

Posted: 28 Apr 2013, 21:20
RCBandit
Hi, thx for testing!

Yeah, I'm busy with version 1.1!
Learning... ;)

Posted: 28 Apr 2013, 22:18
Kenny
RCBandit @ Apr 28 2013, 03:05 PM wrote: How does that work really? If the face is not 'on the screen' then revolt automaticly 'renders' the mipmap?
No, if it is beyond a certain range, the lower resolutions are used (I'm just assuming this so I can't really say it for sure myself).
That could mean of course that the track looks uglier (depending on how big the range is, I don't know it myself) but if you want to go with performance then this should be a necessary step.

Oh yeah and the high poly-count is probably another reason (if not the biggest) why you get such a big fps drop :P

Posted: 29 Apr 2013, 16:04
Manmountain
I would suggest you cut down the polies drawn by using the Vizibox editing mode.
Well placed vizi boxes reduce the total amount of information needed in the visual plane and makes for quicker fps. It only draws what you can see and not the whole track.

Posted: 30 Apr 2013, 22:25
jigebren
Kenny @ Apr 28 2013, 05:48 PM wrote:
RCBandit @ Apr 28 2013, 03:05 PM wrote: How does that work really? If the face is not 'on the screen' then revolt automaticly 'renders' the mipmap?
[...] That could mean of course that the track looks uglier (depending on how big the range is, I don't know it myself) but if you want to go with performance then this should be a necessary step.
In fact in most cases using mipmap rather makes the tracks look better. Because the texture in the distance is more smoothed, it reduces the moiré pattern you can see when the texture has more pixels than what's is actually needed when rendering it on the screen.
It also helps improving the FPS, so there's no reason not to use mipmaps.

But in your case poly-count is probably the first point to improve (not checked myself though).

Oh, and I suggest you post at least a screenshot. It's hard to feel motivated to test something when you don't have a single clue about how it looks like... :rolleyes: