Page 1 of 1
Posted: 05 Apr 2013, 18:17
Crash
Hi guys, a week ago I have returned to playing this wonderful game and also talked my brother into playing it as well. The only problem is when we play online together with Gameranger we can't play with bots or maybe we can I don't know how to add them. So, could anyone please advise me how to them or is there even possibility to play with bots in multiplayer?

Posted: 05 Apr 2013, 18:29
VaiDuX461
Bots never existed in this game on multiplayer mode.
Your only chance is to wait for this feature on "late late v1.2 patch".

If you want to play online with other people, use RVHouse.
(Most people play at 5:00PM/17:00 GMT)

Or you can try Split-screen if on same PC (can also set CPU players there), you must need latest v1.2 patch for this.

Posted: 15 Feb 2015, 20:47
Manmountain
VaiDuX461 @ Apr 5 2013, 01:59 PM wrote:Bots never existed in this game on multiplayer mode.
Your only chance is to wait for this feature on "late late v1.2 patch".
Is this an actual possibility ?
The selection of the bot's would have to come from the stock cars as these are pretty much a constant with everyone.

Posted: 15 Feb 2015, 21:09
VaiDuX461
Manmountain @ Feb 15 2015, 05:17 PM wrote:Is this an actual possibility ?
With source code everything is possible. It depends whether developer wants to work on it or not.

Re-Volt has quite complicated network code (not sure how much complicated), so it's difficult to add something to it. Huki said it was a pain to add spectating support.

I can bet with RVGL project it will be easier, due to new network library and code rewrite/tweaking. But as I said, everything will depend on developers if they want to bother with this.

Posted: 20 Feb 2015, 05:33
revolting
how hard was adding bots to the split screen multiplayer?

I think it would be almost the same difficulty to develop it for online multiplayer

Posted: 20 Feb 2015, 11:01
VaiDuX461
revolting @ 20 Feb 2015, 02:03 AM wrote:how hard was adding bots to the split screen multiplayer?

I think it would be almost the same difficulty to develop it for online multiplayer
Split screen and Online are two different things.
Online obviously needs internet connection and uses network code (which has a lot of new stuff).
Split screen is basically just a modified offline mode, it doesn't need to use any code related to network, which means you don't have to mess with it. And as I said, messing with network part is more difficult.

Posted: 20 Feb 2015, 20:26
Abc
revolting @ 19 Feb 2015, 09:03 PM wrote: how hard was adding bots to the split screen multiplayer?

it's hard as vaid said, actually it's harder than splitscreen (that's just offline so it was easy), Current multiplayer doesn't support AI and coding one is a nightmare and will give more problems than features, it will bring an insane lag and a huge mess...

Posted: 20 Feb 2015, 20:28
Phantom
Abc @ 20 Feb 2015, 11:56 AM wrote: it will bring an insane lag
I wonder how other games deal with that. :unsure:

Posted: 20 Feb 2015, 21:28
VaiDuX461
Phantom @ 20 Feb 2015, 04:58 PM wrote:
Abc @ 20 Feb 2015, 11:56 AM wrote: it will bring an insane lag
I wonder how other games deal with that. :unsure:
Because we live in 2015, not in 1999 anymore.
Sure, something old like Counter-Strike 1.6 or any other GoldSrc game works online well with bots. The engine has better optimized network code.

Re-Volt network code is quite horrible for current standards. I mean, we get lags even with great network connections and it's very noticeable with 12 players. Of course, I can't blame whoever has weak internet connection.
I've played Trackmania online (another racing game, but without car to car collision), which one server had over 100 players, and only seen few players horribly lagging. This proves how outdated/not optimized RV network code is.

I'm guessing it would be much easier to rewrite network code with bot support than trying to add them to existing network code.

Posted: 20 Feb 2015, 22:42
Phantom
I mean, we get lags even with great network connections and it's very noticeable with 12 players.
Yes, I was about to say the same. Some friends of mine who have tried other racing games have told me that in a 30 or 50 players race there was no lag and I cannot believe it.