Page 1 of 1
Posted: 27 Jan 2013, 11:08
Mandolin
Hello...

I have a little problem. I want to make .bmq files (or .bmo files, or .bmns, etc.), but the ones I make do not work. This is the procedure I use:

Create a 128x128 .bmp file in Paint Shop Pro
Open .bmp file in Notepad
Save the .bmp file as a .bmq file

But when I play the level in Re-Volt, it says something like, "Cannot read .bmq file 'filename.bmq'!" Am I doing something wrong? :unsure:

Posted: 27 Jan 2013, 15:31
urnemanden
Hey Mandolin,

BMQ Files are mipmap files. That means they are smaller versions of your BMP files (your textures). So you should try:
- Open your BMP Files in Paint Shop Pro.
- Re-size the Images down to 128x128 each.
- Go to Save As.. and Save the files as bitmaps but with *.bmq extension instead of *.bmp.

If your files end up with the name "texturea.bmq.bmp" you simply rename the file to "texturea.bmq" in the file browser. If windows does not show you the extension of your BMP files, you will have to do this:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... extensions

Posted: 27 Jan 2013, 19:15
jigebren
Mandolin @ Jan 27 2013, 06:38 AM wrote: Open .bmp file in Notepad
Save the .bmp file as a .bmq file
For info, simply opening and saving a file in notepad is NOT a non-destructive operation. AFAIK Notepad may automatically modify the end of line marker. I mean, if your image contains the 0x0A or 0x0D byte value, this value can be modified or even replaced by two bytes, which is very likely to make the image file invalid.

BTW unless you do want to use Paint Shop Pro, in which case you just have to do what Urne explains above, you could just switch to GIMP and use my plugin to automatically export the .bmq file from the .bmp image (no need to resize or rename the image anymore).

Posted: 27 Jan 2013, 23:20
Skarma
You really do not need .bmq files, don't bother.

Posted: 27 Jan 2013, 23:23
urnemanden
You definitely need BMQ files, please bother. :)

Posted: 28 Jan 2013, 00:15
jigebren
Mipmaps allow a better frame rate and efficiently lower some visual artefacts, so yep, you'd actually better use them...

Posted: 28 Jan 2013, 11:08
Mandolin
Thanks for the help!

So no notepad... ok. :)

I was actually going to try renaming in the file browser, but I couldn't remember how. Thanks for the link, Urne!

I downloaded GIMP but just haven't had much time to mess with it much... :(

Posted: 28 Jan 2013, 22:00
Skarma
You just resize the image to 128 x 128 (I think?), save as a .bmp then rename the extension to .bmq. Still, for tracks it might be needed but it certainly is not for cars, in my opinion.

Posted: 28 Jan 2013, 22:55
jigebren
Skarma @ Jan 28 2013, 05:30 PM wrote: Still, for tracks it might be needed but it certainly is not for cars, in my opinion.
Yes, for car as well. There's no need to display a 256x256 texture when working with a 128x128 is enough (eg. when the car is drawn in the distance). Moreover, in case of a detailed skin the use of mipmap is still likely to reduce visual artefacts, so I would definitely not recommend against the use of mipmap.

Posted: 05 Feb 2013, 23:19
Manmountain
urnemanden @ Jan 27 2013, 11:01 AM wrote:Hey Mandolin,

BMQ Files are mipmap files. That means they are smaller versions of your BMP files (your textures). So you should try:
- Open your BMP Files in Paint Shop Pro.
- Re-size the Images down to 128x128 each.
- Go to Save As.. and Save the files as bitmaps but with *.bmq extension instead of *.bmp.

If your files end up with the name "texturea.bmq.bmp" you simply rename the file to "texturea.bmq" in the file browser.
Yes! exactly how I do it. ;)
jigebren @ Jan 28 2013, 06:25 PM wrote:
Skarma @ Jan 28 2013, 05:30 PM wrote: Still, for tracks it might be needed but it certainly is not for cars, in my opinion.
Yes, for car as well. There's no need to display a 256x256 texture when working with a 128x128 is enough (eg. when the car is drawn in the distance). Moreover, in case of a detailed skin the use of mipmap is still likely to reduce visual artefacts, so I would definitely not recommend against the use of mipmap.
Not needed to ensure usage, but deffinatley required to improve performence and visual effect.

Did you know you could add more detail by increasing your BMP's to 512x512, but this slows performance. :P