Page 1 of 1
Posted: 12 Jan 2013, 09:30
Mandolin
Game version: Re-Volt 1.2 Alpha 12.1225
Game mode: Simulation
Date: January 11, 2013

I don't remember this ever happening in Re-Volt 1.1. There are some parts of tracks that water balloons seem to "bounce" off of. When this happens, the water balloon does not explode, but instead just sits on the track bouncing up and down until a car runs into it or it has been sitting for a minute or two. I have this glitch on several tracks, but the two I remember seeing it on were PetrolVolt and Quake. Screenshots are available if needed, but if you want to test this for yourself, download the PetrolVolt track (if it is not already installed) and go to the inside of the gas station with a water balloon. You should see what I am talking about. You can also go to Quake at the big foyer-ish room (with the square tiles and the big pillars) and see the same effect. I noticed that both of these bugs were on the reflective surfaces of the tracks. The non-reflective surfaces of the tracks did not have this. And if the water balloon started on a reflective surface and make its way to a nonreflective surface, it immediately exploded. It is also interesting to note that this effect did not happen on stock tracks, or on the other custom track I tested it on, which was the Sports Shop track.

It is more of a funny glitch than a flow breaker, but it still should be fixed. :)

Posted: 12 Jan 2013, 09:32
Mandolin
Also forgot to mention that I used to play both Quake and PetrolVolt in the original Re-volt and never had this glitch occur.

Posted: 12 Jan 2013, 12:14
Phantom
I tried to reproduce it myself and I confirm that it happens on 1.2 0825 too, which means it probably happens in v1.1 too, because the weird physics changes were introduced after 0825.

This can be also seen in the track Graphite 2 played in v1.1 as you can see in this vid:
http://youtu.be/XD-hwJXj6yo?t=58s

It also happens in Arcade, so it seems to me that it's a Surface bug (or particular charasteristic of that kind of floor) more than a Patch bug.

Posted: 12 Jan 2013, 15:09
aryo_adhi
Maybe collisions bug... reproduced and sometimes happen in Toytanic levels

Posted: 12 Jan 2013, 19:48
Citywalker
I can confirm that I have seen this several times in RV 1.1, but I don't remember the tracks anymore.

Posted: 12 Jan 2013, 20:24
Phantom
I noticed that on the same kind of floor, also the oil skid marks are not visible. So this seems to be a problem with the mirrored floors that affects water balloons and oils.

Btw I've found this on the RV1.2 ToDo List. It seems that Huki is aware of this already:
ToDo List wrote:-Visible oil on mirrored floors.

Posted: 12 Jan 2013, 22:12
Skarma
This has been present since 1.1, I don't believe it's a glitch and plus they look funnier like that so I say leave it.

Posted: 13 Jan 2013, 12:04
Mandolin
@ Skarma: The problem with leaving "funny" glitches in is that while some people enjoy exploiting them, they drive other people nuts. :rolleyes:

If the bug cannot be done unintentionally, than it might actually be good to leave in as an "easter egg" for players to find. But in this case, the glitch can directly interfere with normal gameplay, so it would be best to remove it. It is definitely a glitch because it is not consistent with anything else in the game and isn't a realistic property of the floor type. :)

@ Phantom: So you think that if Huki/Jig figure out a way to make the oil visible that it would fix the water balloon bug as well?

I wonder why this only occurs on some mirrored floors... is it the way the track was designed? Maybe it's not a source code glitch but a glitch in the actual track files that should be fixed...

@ Citywalker: Interesting... I'll have to drag out my old 1.1 copy and test it out again then... :D

@aryo adhi: Where at on Toytanic and which level? Because I don't remember there being any reflective surfaces on that board, so if it happens there then this might be more than a specific surface glitch and maybe a collision bug or something like you said.

Posted: 13 Jan 2013, 12:27
Skarma
This "bug" is impossible to exploit without either an exceptional amount of luck or without phenominally stupid players (and no-one is deliberately gonna run into a balloon anyway).

Posted: 13 Jan 2013, 18:16
Kenny
Skarma @ Jan 13 2013, 07:57 AM wrote: This "bug" is impossible to exploit without either an exceptional amount of luck or without phenominally stupid players.
Except for Graphite 2, it basically happens to me all the time there (as well as the not appearing oil slicks) and you don't even have to try hard there, just do a normal race and you should experience it at least once.
Though one could think that this "feature" was intentionally put in the track so I guess its not that obvious that its a glitch.

Also as the video states (and Citywalker/Skarma said), this was also present in 1.1 so its questionable whether we want a fix for that or not if we want an "original Re-Volt experience" :P
Personally it's not bothering me much and moreless a fun side effect than an annoying glitch.

Anyway, can someone investigate the surface material of Graphite 2? Maybe it has something to do with that.

Posted: 14 Jan 2013, 00:09
Phantom
I guess it is MATERIAL_GLASS which causes this.

Posted: 14 Jan 2013, 21:16
nero
I found a bug as well. I was testing the latest 1.2 patch when I saw this:

Posted: 14 Jan 2013, 22:51
RacerBG
nero @ Jan 14 2013, 06:46 PM wrote: I found a bug as well. I was testing the latest 1.2 patch when I saw this:

:D :D :D

I kill them all! B)

Posted: 15 Jan 2013, 00:44
Cat
nero @ Jan 14 2013, 12:46 PM wrote: I found a bug as well. I was testing the latest 1.2 patch when I saw this:

PEST CONTROL TIME.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013, 02:16
Balint12
I wanted to do exactly the same, when I saw the topic title as Nero, but I thought *people up there* won't appreciate it :)

Posted: 15 Jan 2013, 06:19
Mandolin
Haha I cracked up when I saw it.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013, 09:31
Platform
I Found Bug In Re-Volt 1.2 (a12.1102 Version)
Where Hud Disappearing After Loading Tracks
Something Happens When Game Freeze (When Using Hi-Ban's Re-Volt Armory)

Removed This Post Not Needed

Posted: 15 Jan 2013, 10:43
Mandolin
Platform, you should make a new thread for your bug instead of posting it here so others can help you with it better. Not relevant at all to the water balloon bug. :)

Posted: 15 Jan 2013, 16:37
Balint12
Mandolin @ Jan 15 2013, 06:13 AM wrote: Platform, you should make a new thread for your bug instead of posting it here so others can help you with it better. Not relevant at all to the water balloon bug. :)
I don't think he should make any topics about anything.