Page 1 of 1
Posted: 03 Nov 2012, 02:23
deloreanaka8
Hello everyone. :D
I'm Bruno, 27 y/o Re-Volt fan from Portugal.
And I'm also a radio control car racer/builder/enthusiast since I was 4 years old.
My main idea with this post is to have a good research in order to go forward with a different project.
To give a little idea of what I plan doing, I'm gathering all my current vintage RC cars to find the best "actors".
It's a low bugdet thing, but some details I don't want to miss, even got contact with the owner of a red E36 BMW to use as part of a shooting set.

This post was adapted from another forum:
http://z4.invisionfree.com/Re_Volt_Foru ... 340347&st=

For some years I've been trying hard to discover what would have been the real cars Acclaim had used as models for the cars inside the game. Some of them are obvious, some are less.
If someone here knows I'm wrong about any car, feel free to warn me.
The list isn't complete, I have tons of old radio control car magazines from 1990 to 1998 to look for information but takes a lot of time.

Car name: RC Bandit
Car based on: Yokomo YZ10
Body based on: original YZ10 body from 1993
Similarity: Heavy

Car name: Dust Mite
Car based on: Yokomo Hot Dog
Body based on: original Hot Dog body from 1994

Car name: Volken Turbo
Car based on: Tamiya TA03F
Body based on: Audi A4 BTCC from 1996
Similarity: Some, but the shape in game doesn't help

Car name: Sprinter XL
Car based on: Tamiya M02M
Body based on: Mazda Eunos Roadster (MX-5/Miata)

Car name: Panga Touring
Car based on: Kyosho Pure Ten GP Mantis FF
Body based on: HPI BMW M Coupe
Similarity: Heavy, but with some changes done (Based on new information - 2012)

Posted: 03 Nov 2012, 02:27
deloreanaka8
5 more...

Car name: R6 Turbo
Car based on: HPI Nitro Mini RS4? (not sure, since rear reminds me a Mardave Mini chassis)
Body based on: Renault 5 GT Turbo bodykit by PHC Tuning (Tamiya has the Turbo 2 body but it's not the same car, I guess it never existed in real RC)

Car name: NY54
Car based on: Tamiya TG10
Body based on: Tamiya Porsche 911 GT2 (993 without wing)
Similarity: Heavy, but some changes done

Car name: Rotor
Car based on: Tyco RC Rebound
Body based on: Rebound's original double body
Similarity: Some, but Rebound has 2 different bodies.. this one has both the same model

Car name: Cougar
Car based on: HPI Nitro RS4
Body based on: Porsche 911 GT1

Car name: AMW
Car based on: Serpent Impact M2
Body based on: Serpent BMW 320i (E36 - Based on new information - 2012)
Similarity: Slightly based, but many changes done

Posted: 03 Nov 2012, 02:30
deloreanaka8
And the last 5 atm...

Car name: Zipper
Car based on: HPI Nitro RS4
Body based on: Generic touring car body of that period (I can see some similarities with the 1st gen. HPI Dodge Stratus body)
Similarity: Somewhat similar, but difficult to tell

Car name: Toyeca
Car based on: Kyosho Inferno DX
Body based on: Kyosho Porsche 959 Lim. Ed.

Car name: Humma
Car based on: Tamiya TG10
Body based on: Tamiya PIAA Accord VTEC

Car name: Adeon
Car based on: Kyosho Pure-Ten GP
Body based on: Kyosho Texaco Sierra RS500 (without rear wing)
Similarity: Heavy, but with some changes done

Car name: Dr Grudge
Car based on: Tamiya Blitzer Beetle
Body based on: original Blitzer Beetle body from 1993
Similarity: Heavy, but with some changes done

More to come as I find more info.

Posted: 03 Nov 2012, 02:43
Phantom
I saw this on RVR Forum, nice job.

Posted: 03 Nov 2012, 05:02
Cat
Don't look only on RC and scale model cars but also on full-size cars.

Here's a more in-depth post: http://z3.invisionfree.com/Revolt_Live/ ... topic=1358

Posted: 03 Nov 2012, 08:55
deloreanaka8
Hi there.
Thanks Phantom, it's fun to look for these things and know that actually there's some bit of reality in the game than we could initially think. :D

Greetings, Cat.
Trust me, I know what you mean and I've seen your post here and there.
My main goal is to find only RC models because I've seen almost all the cars from the game in a real form.

Unfortunatly it was many years ago and I can't remember the names or brands that made them, for example, most people think Phat Slug was only made for the game but I've seen a real toy that is close to the shape of that car.
But my memory is very tricky and I can't remember where I saw it, the only fact I vaguely remember is that it was either a Nikko or a Tyco.

Re-Volt cars were created with base in RC cars from 1987-1998, it's also a fact there are newer RC models that resemble more the basic shape of some Re-Volt cars, maybe were inspired by the game. (who knows...)

One problem in detecting similarities in shape is the poly number, this game was done in a time when most games weren't as advanced in detail like nowadays, and it was easier to just modify another basic shape to make a whole new car - like Adeon and Humma. But that doesn't mean you can't tell they're two different models, like you said, Adeon is almost a clear Sierra Saphire (and Humma is very close to a Honda Accord from the BTCC).

The car that I'm really wanting to fully uncover is Zipper, because the shape of that model is very identical to many generic touring car bodies I've seen in the period from 1995 till now (when brands like ProtoForm and Shumacher were starting the "1/10 - 200mm" nitro touring body manufacture).

Oh well, it's a fun way to waste some time. My main goal is to make a small piece of footage (~30min) fully based on Re-Volt, kind of like a "live-action" adaptation from the game since I do have some vintage RC cars that are close to a few of the Re-Volt models. It's not a movie because that would mean a really big budget and copyrights I can't afford, unfortunatly.
I would be really glad if we could find out all the cars, but if we can't, the ones that were already "found" were good enough for my goal.
I'm sure I'll make something you guys will like, and if I'm lucky enough for any of the original members of the team that made the game can see my result and enjoy it, than my purpose will be justified.

To finish, I'd like to show one little curiosity I found out today.
The original wheels that both Adeon and Humma have are based on the original wheels from Tenth Tecnology's Predator DTM chassis, it's easier to spot that in Adeon:

This pic isn't very clear, was the only one I found online, but I have one of these chassis and I'll take a pic later for you all to see. ;)

Woah, what a long post... got carried away, lol. :P

Posted: 05 Nov 2012, 08:49
Cat

That model looks like Aquasonic. Could be because of the edge between the bonnet and the windshield.

Posted: 05 Nov 2012, 15:51
deloreanaka8
Here are the wheels I was talking about, Adeon and Humma have this design on 6 spokes:

You know Cat, that body doesn't resemble much of Aquasonic or Zipper, but it was the only I could find from the same period when the game was lauched.
However, I do believe I found 2 possible candidates for Aquasonic's inspiration:

HPI Nissan Silvia GT

I think this was launched in 1998 because I remember this body was one of the 1st new bodies I saw on the website, and according to their timeline, the website was lauched in 1997 so this might be a match.

Aquasonic

HPI Denso Supra GT

These 2 are from the period before Re-Volt was lauched, there are some resemblances but not pure 100% matches, what you think?

Posted: 06 Nov 2012, 03:50
Cat
The Nissan Silvia S15 was introduced in 1999, was sold only in the japanese market, and that RC model should be from 2002 and later since Silvia drift cars appeared in 2001 (eg Taniguchi, Kazama and Miki's S15s from D1GP), so you might want to reconsider it.

Found this while googling for a RC Mustang '94-98 (one of my candidates for Aquasonic): http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.p ... t-id=58169

Any info on the manufacturer of those 8-spoke rims? Maybe we can find a 6-spoke version.

Posted: 06 Nov 2012, 11:23
deloreanaka8
So I guess the Silvia is an invalid entry...
That Tamiya Mustang does have a big resemblance to Aquasonic, even if in the game that car is as flat as a pancake.

The wheels I showed are the original wheels that Tenth Tecnology put in their Predator DTM chassis, so unfortunatly no, there never were any 6 spoke variants for these.