Page 1 of 1
Posted: 03 Sep 2012, 15:11
Phantom
I'm having a little issue with Music not playing on custom tracks, and not with all which is more weird.
I have only a few customs installed on my notebook and in the first ones (ordered alphabetically: Brazil, Car Lot, Cliffside, Double Oval Drome) I can't hear the in-game music nor SFX sound at all.
But when I go to later tracks (starting from letter G and next ones) like GPX, Holiday Camp, Isola Verde, Misty Ridge, Palm Marsh, Pipeline, Playa+ etc, Music & SFX Sound play perfectly.

It also works perfectly on Stocks. I don't have the music option turned off, or in-game volume low.
And the notebook is not old (Corei3, 4GB RAM & Win7 64-bit) and the Sound drivers (IDT High Definition) are updated, so I doubt it's a hardware problem.

EDIT: I checked all now one by one, and on Lakeside Sprint, Pipelyne and UNIT 51 I can't hear any music or sound at all. So it seems not to be an aplhabetical problem.

Any tips to fix this plz? I can upload any specific file if you need.

Posted: 05 Sep 2012, 22:30
ElvenAvenger
Phantom @ Sep 3 2012, 10:41 AM wrote: I'm having a little issue with Music not playing on custom tracks, and not with all which is more weird.
I have only a few customs installed on my notebook and in the first ones (ordered alphabetically: Brazil, Car Lot, Cliffside, Double Oval Drome) I can't hear the in-game music nor SFX sound at all.
But when I go to later tracks (starting from letter G and next ones) like GPX, Holiday Camp, Isola Verde, Misty Ridge, Palm Marsh, Pipeline, Playa+ etc, Music & SFX Sound play perfectly.

It also works perfectly on Stocks. I don't have the music option turned off, or in-game volume low.
And the notebook is not old (Corei3, 4GB RAM & Win7 64-bit) and the Sound drivers (IDT High Definition) are updated, so I doubt it's a hardware problem.

EDIT: I checked all now one by one, and on Lakeside Sprint, Pipelyne and UNIT 51 I can't hear any music or sound at all. So it seems not to be an aplhabetical problem.

Any tips to fix this plz? I can upload any specific file if you need.
You may want to check if the tracks' files have a MP3 file specified in their .inf file.

(check "Levels/trackfolder" for that file)

IF that's the case, the missing line is usually something like MP3 'filename.mp3'

EDIT: SFX sounds as well? Weird... I have no idea what could cause THAT. :blink:

Posted: 06 Sep 2012, 04:47
Phantom
ElvenAvenger @ Sep 5 2012, 02:00 PM wrote: You may want to check if the tracks' files have a MP3 file specified in their .inf file.
I don't use the MP3 method, I have the CD.

Posted: 06 Sep 2012, 17:04
VaiDuX461
Phantom @ Sep 3 2012, 12:41 PM wrote:I'm having a little issue with Music not playing on custom tracks, and not with all which is more weird.
...I can't hear the in-game music nor SFX sound at all.
Some (maybe lots) custom tracks doesn't have "REDBOOK" line inside level .inf file, without it CD (redbook) music will not work. I checked brazil and cliffside - both doesn't have "REDBOOK" line, so that makes sense.
No sfx in some tracks too? I never heard of that problem, it shouldn't happen.

[Edit]: Are you not hearing ANY sfx sounds at all in some tracks, like: car engine, skid, picking pickup...)?
Also, you can try to set higher "SFX Channels" in Audio Settings, so that makes to play more sounds at same time.

Posted: 07 Sep 2012, 00:58
Dave-o-rama
*post edited for maximum stupidity and derptitude*

Posted: 07 Sep 2012, 04:19
Phantom
VaiDuX461 @ Sep 6 2012, 08:34 AM wrote:Are you not hearing ANY sfx sounds at all in some tracks, like: car engine, skid, picking pickup...)?
Exactly, no sfx sounds at all in the tracks I mentioned. For example Fiddlers on the Roofs doesn't have sound at all, when Isola Verde does have.
Davey wrote:A lot of custom tracks don't even have sfx, so if you hear no track sfx in a custom track, it's probably not be something to worry about.
Really? Because I'm quite sure I heard sfx sounds when playing Brazil in the past.

Posted: 07 Sep 2012, 05:17
Dave-o-rama
Phantom @ Sep 6 2012, 06:49 PM wrote:
Davey wrote:A lot of custom tracks don't even have sfx, so if you hear no track sfx in a custom track, it's probably not be something to worry about.
Really? Because I'm quite sure I heard sfx sounds when playing Brazil in the past.
Nevermind, I forgot I haven't had sound in Re-Volt ever since I got this laptop... :lol:

Posted: 07 Sep 2012, 18:45
sebr
Dave-o-rama @ Sep 7 2012, 12:47 AM wrote:
Phantom @ Sep 6 2012, 06:49 PM wrote:
Nevermind, I forgot I haven't had sound in Re-Volt ever since I got this laptop... :lol:
look at your MSS32.DLL version (mine is 6.0i and work fine)

or download the last who work with revolt on Jig's web page

Posted: 08 Sep 2012, 06:55
Phantom
Man, I'd have loved to come here and say "It worked!", but unfortunately it didn't. :(

The Mss32.dll was indeed outdated, but after updating it, the situation's still the same... no sound in tracks like Brazil, and everything normal in stocks, Frontend and other customs like Isola Verde.

I'm quite sure that Brazil had sound in previous versions...
Dunno what's wrong here but I'll keep searching. Thanks for the hint anyways Seb.

@Dave: any change for you after updating Mss32.dll?

Posted: 08 Sep 2012, 13:31
urnemanden
Phantom wrote:I'm quite sure that Brazil had sound in previous versions...
I suggest you try to confirm that by trying 1207 via WolfR4. If the issue is still there, at least we know that the issue isn't 1.2 related then.

Hmm, perhaps trying to import the world file and NCP file of Brazil into Blender and export them again without modifications could fix the issue too (in mysterious ways ;) ). Just a thought.

You may also want to ensure that the sound in Re-Volt isn't completely turned off down in the process bar - left-click the volume icon and check in the Mixer if sound in Re-Volt is muted when playing Brazil.

Hmm, that's all I can think of for now. Hope it helps. :)

Posted: 08 Sep 2012, 16:58
sebr
urnemanden @ Sep 8 2012, 09:01 AM wrote:
I suggest you try to confirm that by trying 1207 via WolfR4. If the issue is still there, at least we know that the issue isn't 1.2 related then.

Hmm, perhaps trying to import the world file and NCP file of Brazil into Blender and export them again without modifications could fix the issue too (in mysterious ways ;) ). Just a thought.

You may also want to ensure that the sound in Re-Volt isn't completely turned off down in the process bar - left-click the volume icon and check in the Mixer if sound in Re-Volt is muted when playing Brazil.

Hmm, that's all I can think of for now. Hope it helps. :)
don't forget to do the same with fob file too (custom 3D sounds are objects) :P

Posted: 08 Sep 2012, 20:06
Dave-o-rama
urnemanden @ Sep 8 2012, 04:01 AM wrote:
It does work for me in 1207/WolfR4. So it might be 1.2 related.
Phan wrote:@Dave: any change for you after updating Mss32.dll?
I updated to the one on jig's website, aaaaaaaaaaaaaand... nothing. Still.

Posted: 08 Sep 2012, 20:12
sebr
we just found that adding the missing redbook line fix the bug for Phantom

Posted: 08 Sep 2012, 20:18
Dave-o-rama
And I just found out that there were never any sound effects in Brazil to begin with. I took a look through it in MAKEITGOOD and got nothing.

Posted: 09 Sep 2012, 06:59
Phantom
sebr @ Sep 8 2012, 11:42 AM wrote: we just found that adding the missing redbook line fix the bug for Phantom
Yeah, full explanation on how we got to the solution here:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Our_ReVolt_P ... ry22001170

This means something guys, why would the revolt.exe require me to manually add the Redbook line on every custom track that doesn't have sound?

I mean, I doubt that this is the expected behaviour you guys would like to implement. So this seems to be a sort of bug afterall, which I was doubting.

Anyways, I'm happy I have sound on my custom tracks now. :)

Posted: 15 Sep 2012, 00:42
Huki
@Phantom: Strange, you don't even hear the car engine sounds? The REDBOOK line is required for CD music, but sfx should play fine without it (and it does for everyone). What happens if you remove the REDBOOK line in a stock track?

Posted: 24 Sep 2012, 12:57
Phantom
Just tried what you said on Botanical Garden, and guess what, removing only the REDBOOK line on garden1.ini turns off the music and the SFX sounds too.

Just in case I wasn't very clear about this, No SFX sound for me means No Car Engine, No Horn, No sound when picking a pickup, no 3, 2, 1, GO! sound, etc. All gets absolutely muted.

I know that the SFX should work fine without the REDBOOK line, but for some reason that I still can't figure out, it doesn't. There seems to be a strange relationship between them afterall.

On a side note, the only thing that comes to my mind is that Redbook line is quite more important to me than the mayority of the players because I'm one of the few (together with Urne & you) that use the original CD to install the game.

Posted: 25 Sep 2012, 23:28
sebr
i use cd too ... but no bug here

(because i'm still with win XP ? )

Posted: 26 Sep 2012, 01:47
Phantom
sebr @ Sep 25 2012, 02:58 PM wrote: i use cd too ... but no bug here

(because i'm still with win XP ? )
Maybe, but not sure... Mine is Win7 64-bit.

Posted: 06 Nov 2012, 03:02
Cat
Reposting this from the 1.2 thread.
Huki @ Nov 3 2012, 10:23 PM wrote:
Cat @ Nov 4 2012, 05:58 AM wrote: Inserted my RV cd and the sounds began to work only on levels with the REDBOOK line in their respective .inf files If it's absent in the choosen level, there's no sounds or music during the race, and mp3 files are not supported. Anyone with this problem?
Phantom happens to have the same problem. Can you give your system specs? Does it happen with old 1207 version too or only with v1.2?
And here is Phantom's original report.. maybe we can continue the discussion over there to avoid cluttering up this topic.
1.2 only. 1207+WolfR4 works fine with "Enable MP3 music playback" and "Enable CD music from drive" (still without CD) activated.
Another thing to mention is that the sounds don't work if i disable "Enable CD music from drive" (may be related to the 1.2 problem).

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 11/3/2012, 22:41:07
Machine name: JUAN-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
Language: Spanish (Regional Setting: Spanish)
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
System Model: Satellite L505D
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 1.10
Processor: AMD Turion™ II Dual-Core Mobile M520 (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3836MB RAM
Page File: 2132MB used, 5538MB available
Windows Dir: C:\windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
My suggestion would be disabling CD detection or adapting WolfR4's way of configuring the music into 1.2.

Posted: 29 Dec 2012, 21:14
Phantom
I took the time to make some intense tests on this Bug, and I can now confirm that this problem is strictly related to the CD detection system in Re-Volt 1.2 only. The problem only appears in custom tracks that don't include the REDBOOK line in their .ini file, for example most of hilaire9's tracks.
I also confirm that it is not related to my computer's crazyness since I took some notebooks from my friends where I installed Re-Volt to make the same tests. Results were the same. (note: all Windows 7 computers).

I will now quote something so you can remember better:
Phantom @ Sep 24 2012 @ 04:27 AM wrote:
Huki @ Sep 14 2012 @ 04:12 PM wrote:@Phantom: Strange, you don't even hear the car engine sounds? The REDBOOK line is required for CD music, but sfx should play fine without it (and it does for everyone). What happens if you remove the REDBOOK line in a stock track?
Just tried what you said on Botanical Garden, and guess what, removing only the REDBOOK line on garden1.ini turns off the music and the SFX sounds too.

Just in case I wasn't very clear about this, No SFX sound for me means No Car Engine, No Horn, No sound when picking a pickup, no 3, 2, 1, GO! sound, etc. All gets absolutely muted.

I know that the SFX should work fine without the REDBOOK line, but for some reason that I still can't figure out, it doesn't. There seems to be a strange relationship between them afterall.

On a side note, the only thing that comes to my mind is that Redbook line is quite more important to me than the mayority of the players because I'm one of the only players that use the original CD to install the game.
Now the tests! My lab rat was Brazil as you can see in the videos. Download all please, only 58 MB total.

Test 1 - v1.10 1207 without CD inserted, Brazil works
Test 2 - v1.20 0208 without CD inserted, Brazil works
Test 3 - v1.20 0825 without CD inserted, Brazil works
Test 4 - v1.10 0916 with CD inserted, Brazil works
Test 5 - v1.20 0208 with CD inserted, Brazil DOES NOT WORK
Test 6 - v1.20 1102 with CD inserted, Brazil DOES NOT WORK

Conclusions:
The BUG does NOT happen in v1.10.
The way that Re-Volt 1.10 0916 handles the CD detection seems to be special.
Right after updating to any v1.20 release, the sound in Brazil stops working.

Greetings.

Posted: 29 Dec 2012, 23:28
sebr
On win8 and last revolt alpha 1225

Brazil with no REDBOOK and revolt cd => sfx sounds as it shoold be

Brazil with REDBOOK and revolt cd => sfx sounds and music as it shoold be

win7 bug or old "buggy" revolt cd ???

I use deamon tools to load my revolt cd (without any SecuRom emulation protection) it's a 1:1 copy :P

I try to use revolt 0916 (who need cd) : without cd revolt ask for it :rolleyes:
but unfortunately with the cd revolt crash (was working perfectly like 1207 on XP :( )

EDIT : I do the same with original revolt cd on my BD-ROM and everything work as with deamon tools

Posted: 30 Dec 2012, 02:36
Phantom
I'll wait for jig's analysis before making more conlusions, but I also have the feeling that this problem can be more related to Win7 as you say, maybe...
I also use Daemon Tools to load my Re-Volt CD, results were always the same as you say with the difference that daemon tools is more confortable.
Mine is also 1:1 copy. In case you're using RVTT's copy, you're probably using mine becuase i sent it to them a while ago.
sebr @ Dec 29 2012, 02:58 PM wrote: I try to use revolt 0916 (who need cd) : without cd revolt ask for it :rolleyes:
but unfortunately with the cd revolt crash (was working perfectly like 1207 on XP   :(  )
It is strange that re-volt 1.1 crashes with the cd. works fine here.

Posted: 30 Dec 2012, 03:31
Huki
Audio works fine in my Win7 system too (with Realtek drivers just like Cat). Phantom, I noticed from your list of tests that you haven't tried v1.10 1207 with CD inserted (I mean using WolfR4 to re-enable CD detection in this version). From what I heard from Cat, he was able to reproduce this issue in 1207 too by tweaking certain options in WolfR4:
Cat wrote:1207+WolfR4 works fine with "Enable MP3 music playback" and "Enable CD music from drive" (still without CD) activated. Another thing to mention is that the sounds don't work if i disable "Enable CD music from drive".
Phantom wrote:The problem only appears in custom tracks that don't include the REDBOOK line in their .ini file.
For Cat it also happens in tracks with the REDBOOK line if the CD is not inserted. Is it the same for you?

I even tried switching to a new version of Miles for Cat to test (it's also included in the latest v1.2 release), but that didn't fix it for him either. Here is some more info I gathered from Cat:
Cat wrote:
Huki wrote:What happens if you insert the CD, but turn off in-game music from Audio Settings?
Music stops and sounds work. Re-enabling music during a race makes the mp3 music work, but if i restart the race from the main menu the music and sounds no longer work.
Huki wrote:When you turn off in-game music, does the sounds work even when the CD is not inserted?
No sounds.
Well, the issue could be a bug with Miles code or your specific audio hardware and drivers (if all your friends' notebook you tested on were similar models, this could be more likely). My suggestion for now would be to tweak around with the audio options in WolfR4 and try reproducing this issue in 1207.

Posted: 30 Dec 2012, 04:10
Cat
Found the problem, it's in the volume mixer:

Just raise ReVolt's volume and the sounds will work again.

Posted: 30 Dec 2012, 09:36
Phantom
Cat @ Dec 29 2012, 07:40 PM wrote: Found the problem, it's in the volume mixer.
Yuuup, it's that. I can't believe it was something so simple as this.
Anyways, not related to driver specifically, because mine is IDT High Definition and yours is Realtek.

Probably it's related to the Miles sound system introduced since 1.2 that cannot keep the volume always up for these tracks, because after raising up the volume in the mixer that Cat shows to play for example Brazil, Uptown Ranking, etc, the volume goes down again after exiting that race.
So the volume in frontend, stock tracks, etc will always be the same, but in these kind of tracks like Snowy River, Uptown Ranking, Brazil, etc., I always have to put up the volume manually in the mixer to listen any sound.

But now you know where problem is coming from! Thank you Cat!
Huki wrote:Phantom, I noticed from your list of tests that you haven't tried v1.10 1207 with CD inserted (I mean using WolfR4 to re-enable CD detection in this version).
I'll answer to Huki later when I have time to test it. Since I won't be using WolfR4 I haven't made that test. But I'll install it to check this, I don't want to give a non-tested answer now.

Cheers.

Posted: 20 Jan 2013, 01:22
Huki
@Cat, Phantom, Mandolin: Can you guys try this build and see if it fixes your sound problem?

Posted: 20 Jan 2013, 03:34
Mandolin
@ Huki: The first time I ran it I had to reset the volume, but after that I had no problems hearing music even after restarting Re-Volt. But, the custom tracks seem to be using the mp3 system to get their soundtracks (they all play the same song over and over). Is there a way to get them to switch songs?

Posted: 20 Jan 2013, 04:16
Phantom
Right after patching with this build my Re-Volt gets completely muted (i mean SFX and music), in frontend, stocks and customs.

Then I go to volume mixer and increase the muted revolt volume to the max and sound comes back again, even after restarting computer the volume is ok on Brazil, Uptown Ranking, etc..

Posted: 20 Jan 2013, 07:17
Mandolin
@ Phantom: Are the soundtracks for custom tracks repeated or do they switch out when you restart the race or wait for the current song to end?

Posted: 20 Jan 2013, 08:22
Huki
Ah that's good news. :) Changing the CD music volume is not supposed to work in Vista and above, and it's probably up to the audio driver to handle the error in this case. While for most of us it silently fails, I guess some drivers panic and set the app volume to zero. The solution is to never modify the CD volume for these OS (as in the last test build).
Mandolin @ Jan 20 2013, 03:34 AM wrote:But, the custom tracks seem to be using the mp3 system to get their soundtracks (they all play the same song over and over). Is there a way to get them to switch songs?
Maybe the track author has set it to play just one song (I assume you're talking about the original CD music.. if the track is playing a custom mp3 file, then only one song is supported). The REDBOOK entry in the track's inf file (levels&#092;<track>&#092;<track>.inf) decides which songs to play from the CD.

Posted: 20 Jan 2013, 19:29
Phantom
Huki @ Jan 19 2013, 11:52 PM wrote: While for most of us it silently fails, I guess some drivers panic and mute the app volume.
I didn't understood this part. I never "muted" anything as far as I remember. It was just the first impression I got after installing a custom track on my fresh revolt installation and I didn't know how to solve it.

I will test this build on a different pc with windows 7 after installing revolt for the first time, I hope it can play custom tracks without starting the game in muted mode.

If it doesn't, this problem will be completely fixed I guess. Thanks for the support. :)
Mandolin wrote:@ Phantom: Are the soundtracks for custom tracks repeated or do they switch out when you restart the race or wait for the current song to end?
They randomly switch out except when track makers define it that way.
I'll give you examples:

Tracks like Venice or Zero Degrees play the music in random order because they use REDBOOK.
RV Temple plays always the same credits song because it's the way track makers stablished it.
Tracks like Brazil don't have any music because that's the way hil decides to make most of his tracks.
Tracks like Snowy River or Wipeout 2097 belong to a new generation of tracks with custom music stablished by the track author, so they will always repeat the same mp3 song.

Posted: 20 Jan 2013, 21:06
Huki
Haha, sorry I mean the audio device driver not you. ;) I've edited my last post to clarify. In the test build I had removed all code that changes the CD device volume, that's why it works. In fact it was the very first thing I tried (I sent a build for Cat to try), but it seems I hadn't removed the volume setting code in all places (there was some music fade effects that still altered the volume).

I also kept wondering how the CD detection could affect the volume. In fact the volume is only modified if the re-volt CD is detected, that explains the anomaly..

Posted: 23 Jan 2013, 10:51
Mandolin
Ok it works for me too, I guess I just got a VERY VERY VERY unlucky sequence of the same song randomly chosen 4-6 times in a row for two or three custom tracks...

I extend my gratitude for this, Huki!!! It is much appreciated.

Posted: 24 Jan 2013, 06:43
Abc
redbook doesn't repeat, mp3 do, is this normal?

i have this volume mixer problem only once

EDIT: it seems to save 'Mute' state and only once i seen volume completely turned down :o

Posted: 24 Jan 2013, 11:39
Mandolin
I figured out the root of the problem!!! :D

OK, the problem is that your patch for some reason has the MP3 system set as the priority, instead of the CD audio. That explains why some tracks switched out songs and some didn't (and why I thought all was well in my previous post :) ). For tracks that do not have an MP3 line in their settings, but do have a REDBOOK line, the CD audio works just dandy. But, when both exist, the game chooses to play the MP3 instead of the CD audio. Of course, the easy yet a bit tedious fix for the problem is to erase all MP3 lines from all the tracks that should be using REDBOOK lines, but then the sound will not be compatible when no CD is in the drive.

I checked this by playing Zero Degrees with both MP3 and REDBOOK lines typed in and then removing the MP3 line.

Huki, is there a way you can change the patched version to have the priority sound system set to REDBOOK?

Abc, this solution may solve your problem too. Haven't personally tested this problem out for myself yet, but REDBOOK definitely shouldn't be like that. May test it later.

Posted: 24 Jan 2013, 15:28
VaiDuX461
Mandolin @ Jan 24 2013, 08:09 AM wrote:Is there a way you can change the patched version to have the priority sound system set to REDBOOK?
It could be possible, but that priority was made for compatibility. Some tracks uses their own music, and if user has v1.1, mp3 files won't work, instead of that it will read original redbook tracks.
Btw, if mp3 file cannot be found (even if directory is set), game will play redbook instead.

Posted: 25 Jan 2013, 04:16
Mandolin
QUOTE (Mandolin @ Jan 24 2013, 08:09 AM)
Is there a way you can change the patched version to have the priority sound system set to REDBOOK?
It could be possible, but that priority was made for compatibility. Some tracks uses their own music, and if user has v1.1, mp3 files won't work, instead of that it will read original redbook tracks.
Btw, if mp3 file cannot be found (even if directory is set), game will play redbook instead.
But the patch is for 1.2 users (like me, Phantom and Cat) that want to use the REDBOOK system. So, compatibility with 1.1 isn't necessary.

Posted: 24 Jun 2013, 11:33
Phantom
I made more simple tests with the Re-Volt CD mounted to continue Mandolin's and I could sort out in which situations is that the sound gets muted in the volume mixer.

First situation are custom tracks with the following structure on their .INF files.
Just add these lines to any custom track you wish and test with me (this is mainly for Cat and Mandolin who had the same issue as I have, in different sound cars - Realtek & IDT).

Code: Select all

MP3     'FLIPPED.mp3'
REDBOOK  1 3
In custom tracks with the previous structure on their .INF file, Re-Volt always tries to load the MP3 file first, and if this is missing, it loads the Redbook sountrack instead.

If the MP3 is present, the sysem mutes the game completely by putting the Re-Volt volume to 0 in the Volume mixer (I still don't know why). I tested this myself by pasting any MP3 file in the revolt directory and calling it FLIPPED.mp3. When loading the track, the race gets muted completely.

But... If the MP3 is not present, the system loads the Redbook soundtrack instead and the volume is not affected at all. I tested this by just removing the FLIPPED.mp3 file i had created before and when opening revolt again and loading the same track, the game was not muted!

The second situation are tracks with the both lines absent on their .INF files (neither MP3 line nor REDBOOK line). This is the case of tracks like Brazil (My first experience with this bug was on this track).

If both lines are missing, the Re-Volt volume in the volume mixer goes down to 0 inmediately when loading the track as showed in all my previous videos.

Clarification: These were tests under build 13.0522 also known as Build D and with the CD mounted all the time. I find it important to discover the cause of this issue since Huki's sound fix only prevents the issue if the user has manually raised up the volume one time by himself.