Page 1 of 1
Posted: 10 Jul 2012, 11:07
aktion
Guy,
i've made the PSP port of the original PC demo codebase, and would like to continue the project with full game.

Does it possible somehow get the current PC version/have an access to repository that I can branch it and port to PSP. Network can be an issue but would be nice to do for sure.

R. :)

Posted: 10 Jul 2012, 21:04
Kenny
care to share the port?

or actually I would be satisfied with a video of how good it works on a psp since I dont have one :lol: (but probably other people would like to try it out?...)

if you want you can try yourself on the Xbox source which you can find posted somewhere on RV Live forum (and some other places). its the code base of the current version so not much has changed from the actual game (physics, graphics etc).

I fear that you can't expect the devs here to share their current version for whatever reasons so I think you will be best off with the xbox source.

I am currently working on it myself to make it work for PC again even though I know its pointless since we have a fully working version but I am doing it anyway, just for the lulz :P

Posted: 11 Jul 2012, 02:21
VaiDuX461
Not expected. Even PC demo, as i know its first time someone done this.
Could you show something like a video, screenshots or even release as homebrew to test it on real thing? I could test it for sure, as i have a PSP 3004 (with custom firmware, of course).

Or you can't show it, because its very crashy, or runs not very well?

About full game source, it will be problem as there only xbox and pc demo available to download. v1.2 (full game with fixes and new features) would be best, but you wont get it sadly and maybe that source will be open, when they finish it (I don't know when they will finish it).

Although, good work ;).

Posted: 11 Jul 2012, 06:58
nero
Could you upload the current version of the port? Should work on my CFW'd PSP-1003. It would be nice if the 1.2 devs would hand over the source code to you and not just keep it to themselves and laying back far too much on the patch releases.

Posted: 11 Jul 2012, 13:08
aktion

Here is PSP screenshot, there is many things to do still: there is no perspective correction on PSP so perhaps need to modify (preprocess) geometry or do something,
didnt touched alphablends yet. Some of demo levels are not working because of memory i suspect.

I'm using real PSP devkit, non homebrew, so its not possible to run it on custom firmware but can port to homebrew libraries later.
I have xbox sources but they are very different from PC, especially the resources management, so easier to port would be humbly ask 1.2 developers for current SVN snapshot and make the port from there, current asset conversion pipeline based on PC.

Actually current codebase also run on xbox360 devkit too with the same graphics details but looks weird :)

Posted: 11 Jul 2012, 14:28
VaiDuX461
OK, thanks for sharing a screenshot.
Looks cool (and playable!).
Yes, as i see transparency doesn't work.
Everything else is ok.

At how much speed is it works (about)?
How much time did you worked on this?

Hmm... if you would show this to v1.2 devs, maybe they would give you :rolleyes:.

Due to PSP hardware limitations, it could need to resize some textures to 128x128 (for more memory).

Posted: 11 Jul 2012, 14:55
nero
VaiDuX461 @ Jul 11 2012, 09:58 AM wrote: Due to PSP hardware limitations, it could need to resize some textures to 128x128 (for more memory).
Nice port there so far Aktion! It looks far far better than PS1 Re-Volt on the PSP :P
(...)so easier to port would be humbly ask 1.2 developers for current SVN snapshot and make the port from there, current asset conversion pipeline based on PC.
Now that you have posted a screenshot (which is the PSP's resolution) I certainly doubt your request will be rejected.

Will you incorporate custom track/car support that's in the PC version?
Due to PSP hardware limitations, it could need to resize some textures to 128x128 (for more memory).
Does the PSP support PNG textures? That would be the ideal thing, cutting down on the file sizes but maintaining the same quality.

Posted: 11 Jul 2012, 16:07
aktion
VaiDuX461 @ Jul 11 2012, 09:58 AM wrote: OK, thanks for sharing a screenshot.
Looks cool (and playable!).
Yes, as i see transparency doesn't work.
Everything else is ok.

Hmm... if you would show this to v1.2 devs, maybe they would give you :rolleyes:.

about 30fps but there is only one car for now.
about 2 weeks considering I already have automatic resource conversion tools for psp
Heh, thats already done. Converted to 8bit and its possible alpha channel data lost there, need double check.

Posted: 11 Jul 2012, 16:12
aktion
Nice port there so far Aktion! It looks far far better than PS1 Re-Volt on the PSP :P
Hehe thanks
Now that you have posted a screenshot (which is the PSP's resolution) I certainly doubt your request will be rejected.
I hope so :)
I need source code for example for physics as PC demo src have only arcacde physics, but not simulation. Same time xbox code has Kids mode which might be even simplier.
Will you incorporate custom track/car support that's in the PC version?
Technically possible but risky as there is an issues with memory - might be test and have "safe" tracks list.
Does the PSP support PNG textures? That would be the ideal thing, cutting down on the file sizes but maintaining the same quality.
Naah, you have to convert to special format for speed issues: convert to 4 or 8 bit than swizzle it to load fast to GPU.

Posted: 11 Jul 2012, 20:04
r6turboextreme
Looks awesome, I might buy a PSP then, to play my tracks! :D

Posted: 11 Jul 2012, 21:20
VaiDuX461
nero @ Jul 11 2012, 12:25 PM wrote:It looks far far better than PS1 Re-Volt on the PSP :P
Hell yea, also don't forget a fabulous *widescreen*.
nero @ Jul 11 2012, 12:25 PM wrote:
aktion @ Jul 11 2012, 10:38 AM wrote:(...)so easier to port would be humbly ask 1.2 developers for current SVN snapshot and make the port from there, current asset conversion pipeline based on PC.
...So, make a video?
aktion @ Jul 11 2012, 01:37 PM wrote:
VaiDuX461 @ Jul 11 2012, 11:58 AM wrote:At how much speed is it works (about)?
I think that's enough for PSP game, most of 3D games plays on that speed, but damn, only one car. I'm sure there still something that you could speed up a game.
VaiDuX461 @ Jul 11 2012, 11:58 AM wrote:...it could need to resize some textures to 128x128 (for more memory).
Heh, thats already done. Converted to 8bit and its possible alpha channel data lost there, need double check.
Oh, didn't notice :lol:. I think you will need to edit black color for transparency, only converting don't work (or it will?). Although, i would recommend not to resize a system textures, like font or hud (full game idea), it would be a bit pixelated.
aktion @ Jul 11 2012, 01:42 PM wrote:
nero @ Jul 11 2012, 12:25 PM wrote:Will you incorporate custom track/car support that's in the PC version?
Technically possible but risky as there is an issues with memory - might be test and have "safe" tracks list.
Yeah, there are definitely custom tracks which doesn't eat much memory.
(I have an idea for my next track.<span style='font-size:4pt;line-height:100%'>Yes i have almost finished my first extreme track, it will come on RVZT)</span>
Anyway, you could resize textures so it wouldn't be a very big problem.

BTW, older PSP's, i mean 100X models have 32MB of ram, while 200X and newer - 64MB! Also don't forget, PSP CPU can run on 333MHz clock rate (eats more battery and its not overclock), but most games at default run on about 222MHz, it makes a real difference, like playing "Angry Birds". You can set CPU speed on CFW.

Posted: 13 Jul 2012, 12:41
aktion
nero @ Jul 11 2012, 12:25 PM wrote:It looks far far better than PS1 Re-Volt on the PSP :P
Hell yea, also don't forget a fabulous *widescreen*.
Oh well this is made automatically.
nero @ Jul 11 2012, 12:25 PM wrote:
aktion @ Jul 11 2012, 10:38 AM wrote:(...)so easier to port would be humbly ask 1.2 developers for current SVN snapshot and make the port from there, current asset conversion pipeline based on PC.
...So, make a video?
Its complicated to capture from devkit, will do later at friends video company.
VaiDuX461 @ Jul 11 2012, 11:58 AM wrote:At how much speed is it works (about)?
I think that's enough for PSP game, most of 3D games plays on that speed, but damn, only one car. I'm sure there still something that you could speed up a game.
VaiDuX461 @ Jul 11 2012, 11:58 AM wrote:...it could need to resize some textures to 128x128 (for more memory).
Oh, didn't notice :lol:. I think you will need to edit black color for transparency, only converting don't work (or it will?). Although, i would recommend not to resize a system textures, like font or hud (full game idea), it would be a bit pixelated.
I've used special texture format for the PSP, its might converted textures with alpha channel loss. This is not big deal, the main issues is how to fit it to 19mb memory available
BTW, older PSP's, i mean 100X models have 32MB of ram,
while 200X and newer - 64MB! Also don't forget, PSP CPU can run on 333MHz clock rate (eats more battery and its not overclock), but most games at default run on about 222MHz, it makes a real difference, like playing "Angry Birds". You can set CPU speed on CFW.
Althrught its 32 but minus firmware and minus some modules, so its usually 19-21). New psp comes with 64mb but developers have an access to 32 anyway. Angry Birds are minis, this is special types of games which have CPU locked on 222 to make them comptible with PS3 and PS Vita - they running thru emulators. Full games can switch to 333 but its drains battery faster.

Posted: 13 Jul 2012, 15:12
VaiDuX461
aktion @ Jul 13 2012, 10:11 AM wrote:Althrught its 32 but minus firmware and minus some modules, so its usually 19-21). New psp comes with 64mb but developers have an access to 32 anyway.
Damn, didn't knew. So, that means 64mb ram can only be used for firmware and system programs like: skype, internet browser? I though homebrews like "Lamecraft" could use more than 32mb ram :huh:.
aktion @ Jul 13 2012, 10:11 AM wrote:Angry Birds are minis, this is special types of games which have CPU locked on 222 to make them comptible with PS3 and PS Vita - they running thru emulators. Full games can switch to 333 but its drains battery faster.
Unofficial way, you can set clock rate for ANY game, even some older UMD games, example - "NFS Underground Rivals" works even faster. Although, yes some games uses higher clock, tried "Crash of the Titans" and it uses 333MHz.

Anyway, can't wait for a video :P.

Posted: 13 Jul 2012, 19:37
aktion
Damn, didn't knew. So, that means 64mb ram can only be used for firmware and system programs like: skype, internet browser? I though homebrews like "Lamecraft" could use more than 32mb ram :huh:.
Its used for UMD cash and yes, internet, skype, etc.
Might be some haxxors can have access there but not the regular developers.
Unofficial way, you can set clock rate for ANY game, even some older UMD games, example - "NFS Underground Rivals" works even faster. Although, yes some games uses higher clock, tried "Crash of the Titans" and it uses 333MHz.
Sure but its may cause stability issues. Im not talking about homebrew but this is a reason why the don't allow that access in official sdk.

Posted: 29 May 2014, 16:14
mills28
aktion @ Jul 13 2012, 03:07 PM wrote:
Its used for UMD cash and yes, internet, skype, etc.
Might be some haxxors can have access there but not the regular developers.
Sure but its may cause stability issues. Im not talking about homebrew but this is a reason why the don't allow that access in official sdk.
I know.. very old post. I'd love to play this on my PSP! B)

About the speed and CPU.. This game works on a DreamCast, Just 16 MB RAM, so you don't need 64 MB. And you don't need a lot of CPU power, this works on N64 at decent speed, so imagine on PSP even if it is not optimized.

Also setting CPU at 333 does not produce any issues in most software. But maybe the internet conection will have issues.

Hope you are still working on this.

Posted: 29 May 2014, 16:49
VaiDuX461
Ahh, almost 2 years now. Sadly, nothing really happened.
The PC source code is still private to v1.2 developers, even worse - they're not that active now.

The only way currently is to port XBOX code to PC by ourselves (I've made some progress last year) and then to PSP, there's no other way. PC Alpha code is way too old to make it like a release version.

Posted: 29 May 2014, 17:13
mills28
VaiDuX461 @ May 29 2014, 12:19 PM wrote: Ahh, almost 2 years now. Sadly, nothing really happened.
The PC source code is still private to v1.2 developers, even worse - they're not that active now.

The only way currently is to port XBOX code to PC by ourselves (I've made some progress last year) and then to PSP, there's no other way. PC Alpha code is way too old to make it like a release version.
:( Well I'm not a big coder, but i could help with my PSP. At least this forum is still a bit alive :).

I also sent a PM to aktion, just in case...

Is the game working well on XBOX? I mean, at least 60 fps and so... If not, the port won't be a good one.

Posted: 29 May 2014, 19:49
VaiDuX461
mills28 @ May 29 2014, 01:43 PM wrote:I also sent a PM to aktion, just in case...
...So this is why his last visit was today on this forum.
mills28 @ May 29 2014, 01:43 PM wrote:Is the game working well on XBOX? I mean, at least 60 fps and so... If not, the port won't be a good one.
v1.2 PC patch is based on XBOX code and it's *technically* the best game version out there, and XBOX code was based on PC v1.0 (some code is used from v1.1), so yes.

Posted: 30 May 2014, 03:10
Kenny
mills28 @ May 29 2014, 11:44 AM wrote: About the speed and CPU.. This game works on a DreamCast, Just 16 MB RAM, so you don't need 64 MB. And you don't need a lot of CPU power, this works on N64 at decent speed, so imagine on PSP even if it is not optimized.
Doesn't matter how much resources the game required on other platforms, if its not properly optimized for the according platform it most likely won't run as smooth as you would expect it to.
Probably worse than the other versions, maybe even unplayable (not to mention eventual graphical glitches).
Who are you referring to? Neither huki nor jigebren were online today.
Scratch that, I just realized who you were talking about :P

[offtopic]I'm just wondering if huki is actually still active regarding the project...I haven't heard from him since the rather abrupt release of the last patch so I'd be curious to know if development is still happening.
Especially since jigebren decided to leave (or hopefully just take a break from) the project.
Because if not it might as well be considered dead :( [/offtopic]

Posted: 30 May 2014, 03:20
VaiDuX461
Kenny @ May 29 2014, 11:40 PM wrote:
Who are you referring to? Neither huki nor jigebren were online today.
I was obviously mentioning aktion.

I'm worried about huki too, and the future of v1.2 patch. We can still believe, can't we?

Posted: 30 May 2014, 22:12
mills28
Kenny @ May 29 2014, 10:40 PM wrote:
Doesn't matter how much resources the game required on other platforms, if its not properly optimized for the according platform it most likely won't run as smooth as you would expect it to.
Probably worse than the other versions, maybe even unplayable (not to mention eventual graphical glitches).
I once used the plugin to import revolt levels in Blender, export .obj, and loaded objects on PSP using a game engine called Luadev. I even posted an image in this forum (but I deleted all that code).

So i did the same thing again :). This game engine does not load textures over the objects, but you can load images as 3d planes.

The result is the first track with all textures loaded as planes to fill the RAM as much as possible.

I used 64x64 textures, it runs at 120 Fps and uses about 4 or 5 MB of RAM, don't know exactly, just the free ram available, and i don't really know the real size of the RAM.

The tracks are really "simple" for the PSP to handle. But i think the AI and collision system are eating a lot of CPU acording to aktion tests with the real source.