Page 1 of 1
Posted: 20 Mar 2012, 19:10
ADX
Hi there,

I don't know if people here still know me. If you do, hello! B)

I've been missing since probably 2009, I had almost no time to dedicate to other things than my work, family and friends. But, I still have a little place for Re-Volt :D

That's why I've decided to do something I've got in mind some time ago. I've got those rvtmod sources, and worked hard with them to get them back building with current compilers/toolchains. I've decided to get everything in a cross-platform flavor (I'm no longer using Windows but OS X).

The aim is to get them working as better as possible, and now that there're some awesome guys working on version 1.2 of Re-Volt, I know that maybe we can get some bugfixes/improvements over that awesome tools ali did ;)

I'm running a repository at GitHub that is meant to be maintained by everyone of us (social coding is cool, isn't?). Feel free to take a look at it, fork it, make your changes, etc. Also, there's a Wiki and an Issue tracker, so feel free to report issues and stuff.

I've tested it on a Mac, but should work on any UNIX system and Windows.

I've not documented that much how it works, but I'll probably do later on.

The repository is here: https://github.com/frarees/rvtmod

Best regards!

Posted: 21 Mar 2012, 01:16
Dave-o-rama
Hehehe, long time, no see, man! B)

I know approximately zero coding, but I'd love to help out with this, considering how awesome of a tool rvglue is. I'll just send some suggestions your way, since it seems we're revising code here:

Those extremely annoying walls under the track
Is there any way you or anyone else can program rvglue to just get rid of them entirely? They're not really doing anyone any good, and the only way to get rid of them is to take them out using tazsplit right now. It's a pain, though a necessary evil, because if you just leave them there, they can make your track unplayable. Is there any way to fix this?

The floor not being fully textured
When I use the texturefloor command, The lego floor doesn't get fully textured. Most of it does, but there's this completely annoying strecth of untextured floor still lying around. Of course, you can cover it up or obscure it from view, but it would make life a bit easier if this could get fixed :D

And my last rant...

The floor not getting fully deleted
When I use a command like...

Code: Select all

create daveranting

rvgluesproblems.w(
                            legosplit(
                                        floor (off)
                             )
)
The floor around the track (where you can put track editor pieces in) is fine. But the parts of the floor around it (the ones that fade to black) stay there. Which means that if you want to get rid of them, you have to take them out like you would the walls under the track. Which is also annoying.

...and those are my complaints for today :D

Posted: 21 Mar 2012, 04:32
ADX
Yo there dave :D

Well, actually there has been quite a while without giving a look at all of this, but of course I'm taking note. However, there's an issue tracker on GitHub, so I think I'd be better to post your issue reports there, so they're more visible to the rest of the community. Also, try to report as most relevant and useful information as you can, so that the anyone can reproduce the problem you're talking about and probably it'll get fixed.

At this time I'm just too lost to remember revolt's file internals, binaries structure, and the way rvglue is actually working with that. But I'll take a look at it for sure, and I hope every programmer interested that is seeing this does as well.

Thanks for your feedback man ;)

Posted: 21 Mar 2012, 06:56
Dave-o-rama
Cool, I just posted my issues (it sounds so... whiny) there. Hopefully you can recruit some other programmers to help you out, because I'd definitely love to see a better glue!

Posted: 23 Mar 2012, 06:56
ADX
Nice, if I get some time I'll give it a look for sure ;)

Posted: 24 Mar 2012, 06:25
Phantom
Hey ADX. Good to see you around again.

I know this is slightly offtopic, but I'm sure you'd like to check out these topics:

Re-Volt for Mac
RV House for Mac

Welcome back! ^_^

Posted: 29 Mar 2012, 19:44
ADX
Nice :D. However it's just a wrapper using WINE or another emulation software.

Posted: 01 Apr 2012, 01:28
Kenny
Hi even though I am currently working on other projects and know only little to nothing about how Re-Volt works internally (not to mention that I never did any track stuff) I'm still interested in this.

Could you explain what this tool exactly does? And in what way do you plan to improve it?
I'll definitly try to get into the source once I have time for it (had that planned for the Re-Volt source anyway) ;)

Posted: 01 Apr 2012, 03:57
KDL
First, Thanks, a Great thanks ADX :D

Then,
Programmers wrote: I forked a VC2008 version here then added support for >'j' (it became >'z') + replaced if vertex length<1 or something to 'warning' instead of 'error'. But I'm a little clumsy in C++ so I may end up committing more mistakes sorry ...
normal wrote: Ase2w can now support 'a' to 'z' instead of 'a' to 'j'
Instead of printing PANIC: vertex length = 0 and stop building, it will just become a warning and then the export will be normal (well no problems here so far)
About modifications I've made:
included string.h
replaced Cygwin's strcompare way with VC's _strcmpi
replaced 'j' with 'z'
replaced

if&#40;fabs&#40;mesh->verts&#91;ii&#93;->normal.length&#40;&#41; - 1.0&#41; > 0.1&#41;
  	sxpanic&#40;"Vertex normal%d isn't normal, but %g", ii,mesh->verts&#91;ii&#93;->normal.length&#40;&#41;&#41;;
with

if&#40;fabs&#40;mesh->verts&#91;ii&#93;->normal.length&#40;&#41; - 1.0&#41; > 0.1&#41;
  printf &#40;"Kerror&#58; Vertex normal%d isn't normal, skipping...&#092;n",ii&#41;;
  //sxpanic&#40;"Vertex normal%d isn't normal, but %g", ii,mesh->verts&#91;ii&#93;->normal.length&#40;&#41;&#41;;
-----------
Edit: what are 'K' to 'Z'?
Those are Special bitmaps cited by Chaos
The only table I've got can be found here (just scroll to the table, you don't need to see the rest of topic)
10 = K
11 = L
12 = M
13 = N

Posted: 01 Apr 2012, 04:03
Dave-o-rama
Kenny @ Mar 31 2012, 03:58 PM wrote: Could you explain what this tool exactly does?
Well, it allows you to modify tracks using a command file to do awesome things like add surface properties (see: ice and grass) to your tracks, makes blue track editor walls textured, and transforms .fin (instance files) into Re-Volt .w (world) files. And that's just a fraction of it. Long story short: It makes extreme tracks possible and lego tracks awesome.
Kenny wrote:I'll definitly try to get into the source once I have time for it (had that planned for the Re-Volt source anyway)
Well, allow me to show you the way to the source code... [url=http://revolt_f1.webs.com/rvtoolshed.htm]It comes in the rvtmod7 package right here.[/url] I'm not sure if you know that link or not, but it's here now ;)

Posted: 01 Apr 2012, 15:40
Kenny
Dave&#045;o&#045;rama @ Mar 31 2012, 11:33 PM wrote:
Kenny @ Mar 31 2012, 03:58 PM wrote: Could you explain what this tool exactly does?
Well, it allows you to modify tracks using a command file to do awesome things like add surface properties (see: ice and grass) to your tracks, makes blue track editor walls textured, and transforms .fin (instance files) into Re-Volt .w (world) files. And that's just a fraction of it. Long story short: It makes extreme tracks possible and lego tracks awesome.
Oh ok I see, thanks for the explanation
(and yes I already saw the source code link ;) ).

So people still require this tool if they want to do an extreme track/extend lego tracks?

Posted: 01 Apr 2012, 16:52
Dave-o-rama
Kenny @ Apr 1 2012, 06:10 AM wrote: So people still require this tool if they want to do an extreme track/extend lego tracks?
Unless they're making their tracks purely in 3D modeling, Yeah.

Posted: 02 Apr 2012, 12:18
nero
Dave&#045;o&#045;rama @ Apr 1 2012, 12:22 PM wrote: Unless they're making their tracks purely in 3D modeling, Yeah.
My next track will use RVGlue heavily, so that's not always the case. :P

Posted: 02 Apr 2012, 14:28
MythicMonkey
So here's a question...is there anything that you can do with RVGlue that you can't do in Blender?

And on kind of a related note...can you assign track surfaces in Blender?

Posted: 02 Apr 2012, 20:25
jigebren
I was going to ask exactly the same question than MythicMonkey yesterday (when I was interrupted and accidentally lost the message <_<). So far I believe everything RvGlue do can be done directly in Blender with my addon, but can someone who knows both RVGlue and Blender+Addon confirm or reject this assumption?

About track surfaces, yes it can be done with the Blender Addon. It's called "Material". In the Re-Volt panel you have to switch to NCP Edit Mode, then you can set the face's NCP flags and/or materials.

KDL @ Mar 31 2012, 11:27 PM wrote:Edit: what are 'K' to 'Z'?
The only table I've got can be found here
Just a word about this. This is not supported, and may the ReVolt internals change in an eventual v1.2 release, a track using this texture trick won't work anymore. There is no guarantee that the internals values will always remain the same...

Posted: 03 Apr 2012, 18:08
nero
jigebren @ Apr 2 2012, 03:55 PM wrote:
KDL @ Mar 31 2012, 11:27 PM wrote:Edit: what are 'K' to 'Z'?
The only table I've got can be found here
Just a word about this. This is not supported, and may the ReVolt internals change in an eventual v1.2 release, a track using this texture trick won't work anymore.
Supermarket 2. ;)

Posted: 04 Apr 2012, 03:18
jigebren
nero @ Apr 3 2012, 01:38 PM wrote:Supermarket 2. ;)
Hmm, where? :blink:

Posted: 04 Apr 2012, 12:06
VaiDuX461
jigebren @ Apr 4 2012, 12:48 AM wrote:
In market2 folder there are 2 files: market2k.bmp and market2k.BMQ :lol:

Posted: 05 Apr 2012, 00:24
sebr
VaiDuX461 @ Apr 4 2012, 07:36 AM wrote:
jigebren @ Apr 4 2012, 12:48 AM wrote:
In market2 folder there are 2 files: market2k.bmp and market2k.BMQ :lol:
but "k" aren't used in the track : delete theme and nothing will change in the track :rolleyes:

look at "h" one and you'll see all "k" textures (the big red apple isn't used in market2) :P

Posted: 05 Apr 2012, 02:25
jigebren
Actually I'm pretty sure this K texture is not used in Supermarket 2...
BTW you can notice that this market2k.bmp texture is a duplicate of market1j.bmp.