Page 1 of 1
Posted: 26 Jan 2012, 06:24
iL FraN
UPDATE Boat and track By R6TurboExtreme

Have you noticed that UFO floats and can be driven on water? Like a boat!

Well, I told my idea on RV house today some hours ago and now we have 3 people (Dave, R6TurboExtreme and someone else) working on boats and an aquatic track to race the boats.
This got me a couple of ideas about other very possible (I think) transports that could be created by a single modiffication on revolt.

The change would be: make the UFO be able to stear up and down, like a plane.

So...

How does the boat works?
The UFO is light, and I noticed that it floated on the toytanic pool, where the beach balls float too.
On Dave's track Bubble World that one of the lightest cars floated on the water.
That's when I knew is not the UFO effect wich makes the car float.
But the care couln't move!
And the ufo could, because ufo can move without touching the flor.
What works:
Almost everything! that's the coolest thing!
What doesn't:
Right now, the only way to get this driveable effect on water is with the UFO effect.
The problem is that it makes the boat levitate when it jumps taking a lot of gameplay possibilities from the track makers.
Also, some water on some custom tracks won't push cars up.

Planes:
Most of us have seen this, they are like UFO but more driveable on air (and land too)
What works:
They kind of fly.
What doesn't:
They don't actually, they just glide. You can't go up or down.

Spaceships and Subs.
I group both of them because they are the same, they are a plane that has neutral flotability (on water or air) that means it wont sink or float.
Spaceships and space can be done underwater and no one will notice if it's transparent.
What works:
I haven't tested it yet but I think the neutral flotability can be done on water (I saw a boat almost neutral), it's reasonable to me that if a car floats and other sinks there must be at least a point really close to neutral on the wieght of the car, just like in real water.
What doesn't:
Without being able to move up or down it makes no sense to have this on the game.

To get the boat http://199.91.152.133/5q67wkxr7odg/5n5o ... k/toyt.zip
I think that works.

Posted: 26 Jan 2012, 19:55
Phantom
Nice idea! Finally a good use of the UFO effect, and very original.
I'm not sure if all can be done yet but the boats seem quite possible, and it sounds like tons of fun for me, specially racing on water tracks. ^_^
I'm looking forward to see what comes from this. *likes*

Welcome to the Forum.

Posted: 27 Jan 2012, 22:28
r6turboextreme
Yep Fran, indeed this is a good idea. I've a boat, and a test track also. (pooh mapping but who cares, its just to get the boat running.)

I'll post these two soon, and maybe huki can experiment with it, as I have no idea how to do the parameters of the boat.

R6

EDIT: I've got a working boat, its DAMN fun! really addicting, it goes 300 mph, suitable for big tracks! Maybe there can be a new mode called Boat racing, and if so - I'll sure make some tracks!

EDIT2: 4 hours later of messing up with stuff, here is the boat and the test track (no effort put on it lol)

http://www.2shared.com/file/2729vph1/bo ... track.html

Well, you can try stuff with it, but it all works lol. Newest version needed, at least after 1215

Ohyeah, thanks to Burner94: he made my boat mesh better with vertexpaint etcetera, and he put some stuff into it like the line ;) FLYING TRUE

Thanks for reading, and enjoy the boat! If many people like it, I'll come back to make more!

This boat is only a alpha, i didn't have discovered a lot, but it works anyway.

R6

Posted: 28 Jan 2012, 00:48
iL FraN
Indeed is FLYING TRUE the param... the problem is that it flies :P

If you can fix that you can add some jumps to the track.

THANKS A LOT

Edit: OK, i just tested it and the params are GREAT, this boat won't sink like the ufo or the toytanic (last link in my first post) it flies really well too! I think it would be a good plane.

Posted: 28 Jan 2012, 01:13
Dave-o-rama
Let me add my 2 cents into an otherwise rich idea: (see what I did there? :P)

*squish nerd-hat*
*put on nerd-glasses*

The effect that Fran is talking about, that makes boat stuff in Re-Volt possible, is driving the UFO on water, as we know. However, not all water is created equal. The effect of boat-driving is only possible due to the combination of the UFO's ability to drive pretty much anywhere, air or ground, and farce fields under the water keeping the UFO at sea-level. (See: Toytanic's pool.) The reason this whole boat-ish thing doesn't work on some tracks is because the track's author didn't put the farce fields in for it, for one reason or the other. But if we put that in future boat-friendly tracks, well, it would be the most important part, no?
Fran wrote:On Shawn64's track Bubble World
Fixed it for ya ;)
Fran wrote:Indeed is FLYING TRUE the param... the problem is that it flies

If you can fix that you can add some jumps to the track.
I think (though I'm not completely sure) that that's a game engine thing, and that no amount of parameter wizardy would fix it. Another problem with the jumps is that the boats would resort to UFO-like behavior in air, which would really kill the effect we are trying to give off with the boats IMO.

*disengage nerd-hat and glasses*

Posted: 28 Jan 2012, 03:45
Kenny
I think its a great idea and something we should really consider adding to Re-Volt.

Like an extension or a mod if you will. Or simply a new gamemode like r6turbo suggested. It could work like clockwork carnage where all cars are automatically set to boats.

And of course we would need tracks solely for boats where the main ground part of the track is water.
So if its possible to make some boat-like tweaks for the engine or with the parameters then I'd say please do it ;)

As for planes, spaceships or submarines:
It would be neat to have but I dont believe its possible to implement them good into the game without doing some serious tweaking of the engine and the like.
For example what would you do with submarines? sure they could have some water tracks to play with but as you might have noticed the water in Re-Volt is always crystal clear underwater so it would make such "underwater tracks" look boring (because they wouldnt look much different than normal tracks).

The planes would also need some tracks where they have enough space to fly around without bumping into invisible walls every second. And the view distance of Re-Volt is also not very big so it would be hard to plan ahead when flying.

Not to mention that we would need to introduce an additional steering axis so we can control the plane/spaceship/submarine vertically. If we wouldnt do that then they would be just ordinary cars :P

edit: I just tested the track with the boat its behaving better than I expected. of course it would be nice if we could add some waves but I assume Re-Volt has no hit detection for them (or is there even a possibility for waves :blink: )?

Another idea I had was to do amphibian cars so half of the track would be water area (where the cars race on the water) and the other half would be just like a normal track.

Posted: 28 Jan 2012, 13:04
r6turboextreme
What you said Kenny, its possible I guess. The boats can run on land too :) I had the idea to create amphibious vehicles, that can fly, that can run, and that can swim!
I'm really sure its possible, so i'll create a few one day!

Me and dave planned a more serious boat track, a fjord. A norsk fjord. This will look nice, and we'll try to make the boat stuff more famous :)

R6

Posted: 29 Jan 2012, 21:55
sebr
i test it with all my "flying" "cars" and somme stay under water and other go under or upper ... realy good idea !
waiting for news ... :D

Posted: 30 Jan 2012, 00:13
KDL
NOTE! This is a technical post eased to make it comprehensive
No complex calculation are included, a level of Senior Year - 1 is enough to understand this

First, I think 2 force fields would be enough to modify it

A simple coding solution would go with:

Code: Select all

car.position.y = Value + sin(t) * Const 
Where t is defined as fake time

t = (Current_Time/Max_Time) * 2 * Pi
and Const: Max (position) Translation of the wheel

A boat would lift a little its front because of air , thus, air angle has to be the same as `antenna/aerial` 's, and the air resistance must be medium

Or `wavey`effect with boat running :

car.position.y = Value + Const*exp(-t/tau) 
t: time, but should be limited to range:
(for example the time needed to charge a capacitor in an RLC circuit is ~5 * tau, 10*tau to establish stable effect)

tau: a constant time to attend the max value
Const: variable max up

Posted: 30 Jan 2012, 17:14
gdfsgdfg
http://www.mediafire.com/?j70dz1jxg6be3xx

Here's a real boat.

it was made by revolt kid on rvzt but i did a small paint job.

Posted: 30 Jan 2012, 22:59
iL FraN
gdfsgdfg @ Jan 30 2012, 12:44 PM wrote: http://www.mediafire.com/?j70dz1jxg6be3xx

Here's a real boat.
I got that one, it's the last link on my first post.
The thing is that R6Turbo's boat has much better params imho

I think we only need a track!

Posted: 30 Jan 2012, 23:22
gdfsgdfg
iL FraN @ Jan 30 2012, 06:29 PM wrote:
gdfsgdfg @ Jan 30 2012, 12:44 PM wrote: http://www.mediafire.com/?j70dz1jxg6be3xx

Here's a real boat.
I got that one, it's the last link on my first post.
The thing is that R6Turbo's boat has much better params imho

I think we only need a track!
Well do whatever you like...

Posted: 30 Jan 2012, 23:27
iL FraN
It would be neat to have but I dont believe its possible to implement them good into the game without doing some serious tweaking of the engine and the like.
Exactly. But we have Huki for that :P if he can, we can have it.
For example what would you do with submarines?
I would turn them into spaceships.
but as you might have noticed the water in Re-Volt is always crystal clear
I don't think that is a bad thing at all, it's a good thing, because water provides a zero gravity place for cars with neutral flotability (if such a thing is possible... it should be...) LIKE SPACE, so like you can do spaceships or well... subs (don't you wanna race inside sunk toytanic?) you just have to color some things blue, after all water is transparent.
The planes would also need some tracks where they have enough space to fly around without bumping into invisible walls every second. And the view distance of Re-Volt is also not very big so it would be hard to plan ahead when flying.
I hate invisible walls! I was thinking in something like this (it gets nice at 3:30)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn6PI942 ... re=related

In sunk toytanic you can have things floating arround so when a car bumps to them they move and the laps are never quiet the same wich is kind of cool.
Another cool thing is that you could do vertical paths (I don't know how it would work)

I don't know about the problem of view distance, I got the config on maximum and it works like charm.
be nice if we could add some waves
Can you make obejcts made of water? I am guessing no one did but it's possible, or at least with a small patch :P
If it's possible then track makers have tons of possibilities.

Sorry huki I may be asking too much xD

Anyway, it will only make sense when boats stop flying.

Posted: 31 Jan 2012, 15:44
gdfsgdfg
Hil made a new boat on rvzt now I made it to float.

http://www.mediafire.com/?kpizdtvixg3ix49

Posted: 02 Feb 2012, 20:14
r6turboextreme
Well nice to hear there's some interest in it too, but this topic mainly gets resumed on RVL, so... Please reply there.

And spaceships: This can come later, first we have to do it with boats/amphibious vehicles

Posted: 02 Feb 2012, 22:07
sebr
you forgot the RVL link R6 :unsure: