Page 1 of 1
Posted: 24 Jan 2012, 04:45
Stingox
Hi!

I have been inactive for some time and not been following the re-volt updates very well.
Concerning the latest re-volt 1.2 updates some few changes to the game have been close related with the basic structure of the game.
Some of these changes have been rather small and unnoticeable by most players, or not maybe not enough important to discuss.

As far as I have understood, the idea of Re-Volt 1.2 was to bring us new features and improved functionality without changing basic game structures such as revamped tracks and modified cars for example.

Recent changes have been quite different and re-volt 1.2 seems to be growing a new branch.

This picture is taken from the re-volt 1.2 installer. "Flying cars, flippable cars - it is now possible".

NOTE: I might be mistaken this with how custom car developers want to improve their way to develope cars. So I'm unsure if this text has to do with that or not.

This is something that I personally experienced in rv1.2a11.1215 build both online and offline, and at times it made it more difficult for me to control the car after getting hit by fireworks and waterballoon pickups.
With the introduction of rv1.2a12.0107 build, I did no longer experience this. This probably had to do with the collision modifications; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zXbT76JGbk but I'm not sure.

Why is this important? - Because this will affect our gameplay

Another change done to basic structures that I noticed was that when you have a bomb (with fuse) and hit a clone pickup (/fake pickup - bomb) the actual bomb gets cancelled, resulting in only one explosion.
The original design was keeping the bomb after hitting the clone pickup, resulting in 2 explosions.
This change still remains, yet it seems like no one is aware of this.

This change may seem realistic in some perspectives but it doesn't follow the main purpose of RV 1.2, and thus affect the gaming.

I had a private conversation with Huki for about 2-3 weeks ago about this and I told him that I will post a thread on this forum so that re-volt players can vote whether they want it changed or not.
I think that re-volt 1.2 should not change original gaming structure no matter if it is a big or small change as we will step by step move away from what was the original re-volt, and I asume that is not the intention of re-volt 1.2.

I would like to thank the developers for many wonderful updates and the time they've put into this as without them we wouldn't have gotten this far. There are yet many more ideas and features that can be developed and I hope the re-volt community will continue to support this.

I would like to see opinions from the re-volt community, what are your thoughts about this kind of updates?
Any similar updates that is yet undiscovered?
Ideas about new features? (I know there's a rv1.2 update thread)
Should the "bomb system" get changed back to what it was originally?

//Stingox

Posted: 24 Jan 2012, 08:25
MythicMonkey
Well, I don't want to throw a wrench into your works, but I personally like the fact that changes and improvements are being made. In my opinion, if someone likes the original Re-Volt just as it is then they should perhaps be playing with that version.

As for the bomb pickup, I have to say I like it the way it is now. I have absolutely no problem with the current behavior. So yes, I say keep the original Re-Volt spirit...but no, we don't need to be slaves to someone else's vision of a game that was created over a decade ago.

Just my thoughts. :)

Mythic

Posted: 24 Jan 2012, 13:04
urnemanden
Stingox I definitely agree with you that changing the original game can be destructive, but I would not call the changes at bomb/false pickup behavior that. Thing is, it is not my belief that the original behavior was even intended (you have a bomb, drive into a false pickup, whoosh the aerial is gone and then a random explosion without any glowing effect.). Instead I think the false pickup+bomb situation is so specific that the developers didn't even take that into account (it also doesn't happen that often) and so it looks a bit buggy. And to be honest I don't mind the new more realistic behavior over the old.

As for flippable & flying cars - these are also previously requested features that gives the car makers the ability to copy the UFO or Rotor behavior on their custom cars - so your note is correct on that point. The collision issues you mentioned was just indeed a bug in Arcade mode that caused the collision to be much bigger than the actual car was (fixed in 0107).

I agree with all MythicMonkey's arguments. Jigebren and Huki has done a fantastic job on 1.2/WolfR4 and I owe them everything for bringing my own favorite game to this point. I believe it shouldn't do any harm discussing the recent changes as Stingox proposes with this topic though. Even if we aren't those who are to decide in the end. :)

Posted: 24 Jan 2012, 13:18
MythicMonkey
urnemanden wrote:I believe it shouldn't do any harm discussing the recent changes as Stingox proposes with this topic though. Even if we aren't those who are to decide in the end. smile.gif
I whole-heartedly agree with this. There is certainly nothing wrong with discussing the topic. :)

Posted: 24 Jan 2012, 18:33
gdfsgdfg
I hated the idea of improved ai but still i am not sure how that affected the collision (which i still find it weird than the unpatched re-volt)

Posted: 24 Jan 2012, 19:20
miromiro
If you don't like the updates, not even God will force you to use it.

Posted: 25 Jan 2012, 01:54
Cosmo_Kramer
Stingox,yeah,i agree with you,was waiting for someone to say
something about this weird changes recently

There are so many things that could be changed and lots of good features and stuff to add,and they choose to change some original revolt stuff

This new flipible and spining cars are effecting the gameplay,its diffrent,it doesnt evan matter to me is it better,it s just diffrent,i thought this kind of stuff will never be changed

And this bomb thing you are dissccusing,i would leave it as it was,not beacuse i think that idea is better,just cause its made that way...

I like all stuff and updates u guys made and appriciate ur work,but think u went a bit to far and this topic confirms it,i mean, stingox is not persuading you to take his new idea and new feature,he just wants it in the old and original way

and dont say if u dont like it dont play it,cause u all know this is the only place where we can play it :D

Posted: 25 Jan 2012, 05:09
Stingox
@MythicMonkey

I am not against re-volt 1.2, in fact I am very positive to it and can only expect more benefits from it. It is also very hard to find the new features brought to re-volt bad and really there is no reason to go back to older versions. But it is not easy for those who want to play older versions to do that (online), unless they're host. However as re-volt 1.2 have only brought good changes to re-volt, lets put this aside. This is not something that I think anyone here would do as there is no reason either.

There is no doubt, I know they're only working for a better re-volt and they have proved it with their implementations.

@MythicMonkey & Urnemanden
About the bomb, while it may seem realistic it also does change the gaming structure but very little that it's not maybe even worth to bring up. But as it does I will tell you how this affects the gameplay.

Reasons to explode once:

- It is more realistic that when you explode, you shouldn't be able to explode twice after you already hit a fake pickup, and therefore lose the bomb.

Reasons to explode twice:

- If you are clumsy enough to hit a fake pickup while having a bomb, it would be more fair to explode twice.

- The time you lose after exploding 2 times is more than often more, which means this modification made it easier (very small).

Now it might even look funny that I react like this to this subject, but I'm just really concerned about that maybe later on further changes will lead to extended firework lenght or more power water balloons (exaggerated examples).
Of course this is not the case as this seems alot more realistic, but the fact that it nearly no one was aware of this change and that it actually got to do with normal gameplay (in a very small area) I think people should get to know more about these kinds of updates.

It was mentioned in the update log but not on the forum. So it was considered as a rather small change.

I agree with you guys in principle, but I just think this should not get out of hand :]

Posted: 25 Jan 2012, 10:18
Phantom
It seems that we all agree in principle.
Personally I don't find those features described by you Sting annoying at all.
The simple explosion does change the gameplay, but not in a very drastics way, so I don't mind the new more realistic behavior at this point.
As for flippable & flying cars, it's a nice answer to the requests of the community. It's good to know that the developers listen to what the community needs.
Huki and jigebren aren't doing this for you. Neither are they doing it for me.
I don't believe this is a selfish project made just for their pleasure. This is not how huki and jig are. It is the community who will finally make a deeper use of the patch even more than them.
So they need to know what are the community's expectations about it. Stingox is very right about discussing this kind of stuff in the near future.

Posted: 25 Jan 2012, 10:55
Huki
I have time only for a quick answer to one glaring misunderstanding: "flippable / flying cars feature" allows custom cars to use Rotor and UFO effects. There are no changes in racing physics...

Reply to rest of the points should come later.. :)

Posted: 26 Jan 2012, 01:34
Cosmo_Kramer
sorry i thought that we have some new parametars for spins and flipible cars, i belived in that story cause i was away for 2 weeks and everything seemed to me new and diffrent...it still does :D
i thought u lost control completly huki,well,

my bad :D

Posted: 17 Feb 2012, 06:04
Kenny
Flyable cars and the like are actually not new, it just wasn't possible for the normal car creator to create cars like ufo before.

That the car collision behaves differently could be due to bugs that showed up after some things got changed in the code but it was probably not on purpose (hopefully :lol: ).
But I dont know the details here so lets wait for huki to reply.

As for the AI I partly agree with you since it was meant to be rather an improvement than a gameplay changing thing. The AI was obviously working bad on many tracks and isn't really a challenge to most of the Re-Volt players (with the stock cars).
Of course it also affects the gameplay but we have good intentions with this.

Another thing that was mentioned a couple of times in the forum is the implementation of the Dreamcast cars. I also wouldnt see this as something "completely new" since we would have a more complete official Re-Volt version afterwards so I'm all in with that.

The amphibious/boat cars/tracks are more experimental than anything else but even if some code would get added to the game so they would work better, as long as it is seperated from the rest of the original game I wouldnt see any reason not to implement it.

However just recently the discussion came up with "handbrakes for Re-Volt". Thats in my opinion a gameplay changing feature that shouldn't be applied because:
- its really something completely new that never had an appearance in any version of Re-Volt (and I doubt that the developers planned to add it sometimes later)
- users could have an advantage over other users with it because they can better use it

So as long as those two last points are not fulfilled I believe that the original spirit of Re-Volt won't be greatly affected by new additions to the game.

There, have my two cents :P