Page 1 of 2
Posted: 17 Jan 2012, 22:35
veroniac
hi, people. i'm new here. don't know if it's been discussed or not.
is there anyway to use dualshock analog joystick to play this game? because i've tried that and the game crashed.

the only way i can play it using the controller is by uninstalling the driver; thus disabling the vibration feature. but it's not really satisfying because you can't feel the car's collision.

hope for answer. thank you in advance :)

Posted: 18 Jan 2012, 19:06
jigebren
Hmm, we don't even know which version of re-volt you're using...
In case you're actually using v1.2, the fact is that neither Huki nor me is using a force feedback controller, so we can't really test it.
Don't know if anybody else is successfully using controller of that kind here BTW? Maybe nuclearhythmics, but he's not been around recently...

Posted: 18 Jan 2012, 19:30
veroniac
hi jigebren, i'm currently using rv1.2b11.0208 patch.

but i think i've tried the 1207 patch, and it crashed too when i use the controller's vibration feature.

thanks for your reply btw :)

Posted: 20 Jan 2012, 02:20
Skarma
I'm assuming that, by saying Dualshock, you are talking about Playstation controllers, yes? I have an adaptor for PS2 controllers and I can confirm that I have been able to play Re-Volt with it, although it wasn't easy. Collision doesn't work either.

Posted: 20 Jan 2012, 08:45
veroniac
@Skarma: well, it's not really an authentic PlayStation controller, but an imitation from other brand, purposed only for PC (using USB as the connector).

but no matter what, it works good on many new games & the vibration works well too.
it just doesn't work on re-volt. maybe because the cable is USB?

Posted: 20 Jan 2012, 09:16
Cat
I've the same issue with an actual DualShock connected via a PS to USB adapter. The analog sticks work fine. I suppose Re-Volt crashes because it isn't actual Force Feedback but vibration/rumble (someone correct me if the same happens with FFB wheels).

To disable the vibration function use the command line switch -noforce.

Right click on your Re-Volt shortcut.

(type -noforce in the place of -sli)

If you're using Wolf R4, go to Command Line > Advanced, and tick "noforce".

In these two ways you can disable the vibration function only for Re-Volt without the need to uninstall the drivers, so you can use the vibration for other games.

Posted: 20 Jan 2012, 12:55
Huki
veroniac @ Jan 18 2012, 07:30 PM wrote: I'm currently using rv1.2b11.0208 patch.
Can you try the latest Alpha version (rv1.2a12.0107) just in case? If the crash still persists, a little info on when the problem occurs would be helpful.
- Does it crash only after you've actually selected this controller from Controller Settings?
- Or does it crash immediately after launching the executable, even with the default Keyboard settings?

The -noforce command line mentioned by Cat doesn't exist in v1.2, by the way.

Posted: 20 Jan 2012, 13:57
kajeuter
Im using a Duelshock Controller for like a half year now. The controller has viberation, but it just doesnt work in revolt for some reason. Also don't have any errors. Probarly because I didnt install the viberation driver :rolleyes:

Posted: 20 Jan 2012, 15:00
MythicMonkey
Quick question if you don't mind... :)

What you need to make that work...do you just need an adapter (and driver)?

Posted: 20 Jan 2012, 21:15
veroniac
@Cat: i've tried adding -noforce but it still crashes (because like Huki said, i'm already using v1.2) ^^

@Huki: i've just downloaded the latest Alpha version you mentioned, but it still crashes.
it crashes after the race is about to start (after loading track, etc). but it doesn't crash if i choose to use Keyboard.

@kajeuter: maybe the original controller works better than the imitated one?

@MythicMonkey: i'm not quite sure what you want to work, the controller or the vibration? if it's only the controller, you'll just need to plug n play. but if you want the vibration to work as well, you'll need to install the driver.

well, that's if you use PlayStation imitated controller for PC. if you use the original controller, i don't really know. hope i help ^^

Posted: 21 Jan 2012, 04:01
MythicMonkey
Thanks veroniac. I've got a dual shock controller laying around from my PlayStation and I was wondering how much work/trouble it would be to use it on my computer. I'm actually pretty content with just using my keyboard, I was just curious. :)

Posted: 21 Jan 2012, 04:53
veroniac
@MythicMonkey: you're welcome ^^ well, if yours is the original controller from PS, then you'll need PS to USB connector/adapter.

Posted: 21 Jan 2012, 13:05
MythicMonkey
Cool, thanks. I'll have to look into that one of these days when I'm not spending all my time trying to get some cars out. Mythic Motors has stepped up production and it's been all I can do just to keep all my monkey minions producing at top capacity these days. Sometimes they get easily distracted. :D

Posted: 23 Oct 2012, 00:37
Vasja1st
I use my PS3 Controller for most of my PC games also, all you need is Bluetooth and a Small program called "DS3 Tool" set Controller as Xbox GamePad and you are good to go. + There is no Wieres, only when you Pair Controllers from PC to PS3 or viceversa.

It works great in Re-volt, at least for me.

Posted: 23 Oct 2012, 04:03
Adamodell
I've used a Dualshock 2 controller with one of those Gamemon adapters before, no crashes, no problems, easy configuration and even the vibration worked fine, it might be a problem with the driver, not Re-Volt, but thinking on it, I'm not sure if I've tried it with the latest Re-Volt version...

Posted: 02 Nov 2012, 13:32
aryo_adhi
veroniac wrote:...it's not really an authentic PlayStation controller, but an imitation from other brand,...
Now was so many the imitated version of dual stick (not dual shock) controller (as PSX and PS2)... Tested too (uninstalling vibration driver), and works.
veroniac wrote:maybe the original controller works better than the imitated one?
Exactly. That's right, since the imitated one wasn't so good than original PlayStation version... <_<
EDIT : even i uses the imitation version... :blink:

Posted: 25 Jun 2013, 04:23
Manmountain
Not to promote extra bug fixing, but
I have a 'Logitech Rumblepad 2 Vibration Feedback Gamepad G-UF13'

In V1.1 the force feedback works fine, all OK.
In V1.2 the controller can be setup fine, but the force feedback is non-existent.
The latest drivers are installed and I am currently using Win XP

I'm not sure if this question has been answered, but does V1.2 support force feedback ?
Do I need to change a setting or command line ?

Thanks. :)

Posted: 25 Jun 2013, 19:53
Phantom
Manmountain @ Jun 24 2013, 07:53 PM wrote:I'm not sure if this question has been answered, but does V1.2 support force feedback ?
Do I need to change a setting or command line ?
I think Cat can confirm this for you, but my guess is that it doesn't and the commandline can't be set up.

Posted: 25 Jun 2013, 23:02
jigebren
Manmountain @ Jun 24 2013, 11:53 PM wrote:I'm not sure if this question has been answered, but does V1.2 support force feedback ?
In theory, yes it should. In practice, well... I can't tell. As I mentioned at the beginning of the topic neither Huki not me owns a controller with force feedback, making it a bit difficult for us to dig into that issue.

All the more that is seems there at least 3 cases with v1.2:
  • Force feedback works properly (not sure it's 100% confirmed though).
  • Joystick works but there's no force feedback (either because it was deactivated on purpose or because it just doesn't work).
  • It crashes when a joystick with force feedback is selected (crashes occur at track loading).
Topic summary / extra info:
v1.1 seemed to work.
v1.1 with v1207 patch was likely to crash as well (for info I think that this version introduced the -noforce command line switch, maybe there was a good reason).
Last v1.2 alpha release doesn't support the -noforce switch. But the more recent build D available in the collision bug topic does, though I'm afraid this support is currently very basic and may not prevent all crashes.

Posted: 25 Jun 2013, 23:42
Manmountain
Joypad directional functionality and buttons work perfectly on all versions.
Force feedback works fine on V1.1 (1207), on V1.2 latest release has no feedback at all.
No crashes using Joypad ever (eccept where car/track error caused crash).

Quick question to all,
Has eveyone experienced feedback/rumble features of Revolt including surface textures as well as bumps and crashes ? as they make my gameplay more enjoyable.

Posted: 26 Jun 2013, 00:47
Cat
Phantom @ Jun 25 2013, 11:23 AM wrote: I think Cat can confirm this for you, but my guess is that it doesn't and the commandline can't be set up.
Trying to start a race using a controller with rumble or FFB feature (both use the same input and output, if i'm right) causes the game to crash, so i've to use the -noforce command.

Ah, forgot to say that the -noforce command works again on 1.2, but still causes the game to crash at random when pausing. Sorry for not confirming before.

Posted: 26 Jun 2013, 18:35
jigebren
@Manmountain, @Cat
Out of curiosity, does using Alpha 12.0815 (or any older one if you have it already installed like eg. the last Beta) change anything?

Posted: 26 Jun 2013, 19:25
Manmountain
@Cat,
My rumble/FFB Joypad works fine with no crashes, it just has not rumble action in V1.2.

@jigebren,
I used the version at the link shown to me of : rv1.2a12.1225.exe
Which version should I try ?

Posted: 26 Jun 2013, 23:43
jigebren
@MM
this one: rv1.2a12.0815.zip

Posted: 27 Jun 2013, 01:39
Manmountain
Yeah, that version works fine with (as far as I can tell) FULL rumble/FFB features, thanks. B)

So does this help to pin point what the issue with rv1.2a12.1225 might be ? <_<

Posted: 27 Jun 2013, 02:23
jigebren
Manmountain @ Jun 26 2013, 09:09 PM wrote:So does this help to pin point what the issue with rv1.2a12.1225 might be ? <_<
Yes - at least for your issue - since I see Huki has modified the force feedback code for the split-screen support. There must be some flaws in this code. We'll have to check that.

Posted: 03 Jul 2013, 02:58
Huki
Manmountain @ Jun 25 2013, 11:42 PM wrote:Joypad directional functionality and buttons work perfectly on all versions.
Force feedback works fine on V1.1 (1207), on V1.2 latest release has no feedback at all.
I've uploaded a new build which should fix this issue (hopefully). First make sure you've installed the latest alpha rv1.2a12.1225.exe, then install the test build (link below).
Cat wrote:Ah, forgot to say that the -noforce command works again on 1.2, but still causes the game to crash at random when pausing.
I've also improved the -noforce support in this build, let me know if it still crashes.

Download the test build here.

Posted: 03 Jul 2013, 03:21
Cat
Huki @ Jul 2 2013, 06:28 PM wrote: Download the test build here.
Still crashes at random while racing or pausing.

Also, is there any way you can add an option for disabling SteerRate while using analog steering for more direct car control? So the speed at which the wheels turn depend on the player's input rather than the car parameter's default.

Posted: 03 Jul 2013, 03:25
Kenny
Has anybody yet tried an Xbox 360 controller with the game? If yes were there any issues (just curious)?

Also would it be possible to add an option to use both the dpad and the analog sticks for steering? (sometimes I switch around in a race)

Posted: 03 Jul 2013, 18:22
Manmountain
Huki @ Jul 2 2013, 10:28 PM wrote:I've uploaded a new build which should fix this issue (hopefully). First make sure you've installed the latest alpha rv1.2a12.1225.exe, then install the test build (link below).

Download the test build here.
Hmm ? <_<
Not sure what you think you have done but this is what I get;
rv1.2a12.1225.exe on it's own - gives me rumble/FFB but only on surface properties (such as gravel/dirt) not from collisions either with other cars or the track/world.
rv1.2a13.0620_test build - gives me no Force Feedback at all.

The version that jigebren directed me to - rv1.2a12.0815.zip - works best for Force Feedback in V1.2.

Posted: 03 Jul 2013, 18:24
Huki
Cat @ Jul 3 2013, 03:21 AM wrote:Still crashes at random while racing or pausing.
There was still a mistake with the -noforce support, that could be the reason. Try this build test2.
Cat wrote:Also, is there any way you can add an option for disabling SteerRate while using analog steering for more direct car control? So the speed at which the wheels turn depend on the player's input rather than the car parameter's default.
Hmm the SteerRate defines the car's handling, I don't think it should be changed in-game. Note that you're using your analog controller to turn the car's virtual steering wheel, so it doesn't make sense to directly turn the car's wheels according to the input.
Kenny @ Jul 3 2013, 03:25 AM wrote:Has anybody yet tried an Xbox 360 controller with the game? If yes were there any issues (just curious)?

Also would it be possible to add an option to use both the dpad and the analog sticks for steering? (sometimes I switch around in a race)
I've heard several people had used it successfully. But some users complained the steering only worked in one direction.
We'll think about allowing two keys to be set for a control.

Posted: 03 Jul 2013, 19:19
Manmountain
@Huki,
Please read my previous post.
Posted just bfore your post.
thanks.

Posted: 03 Jul 2013, 20:45
sebr
Huki @ Jul 2 2013, 10:28 PM wrote: Download the test build here.
was this ===> rv1.2a13.0620_test.zip here. and not rv1.2a12.1225 :P

Posted: 04 Jul 2013, 03:07
Huki
@MM: Strange.. in the last build I made sure the force feedback works the same way as in old versions. Just to confirm, did you run the correct build (Re-Volt.exe) and without any command lines?

I've uploaded yet another build test3.zip. This one will display a message box at the start of the race if the game attempts to use force feedback. Can you post the contents of the message? (screenshot would be nice, but it should be short enough to type anyway).

Posted: 04 Jul 2013, 05:35
Manmountain

I hope this will do.
Does it help ?

Posted: 04 Jul 2013, 17:51
Huki
Thanks for the screen.. it means the game attempts to use FFB correctly, but something else was going wrong. I wondered if it could be a flaw in the original code that is showing up now (because we recently changed the compiler and building toolsets). That could explain why the FFB is gone altogether - even the surface properties that worked in the last Alpha. I checked now and did find such a flaw. Here is the fixed build test4.zip. Let's see if that was the reason for your issue..

Posted: 04 Jul 2013, 19:01
Manmountain
Again, only surface properties rumble/FFB, no collision FFB at all.

Why would this be ? why one but not the other or both?

Thanks.

Posted: 04 Jul 2013, 19:31
Huki
Manmountain @ Jul 4 2013, 07:01 PM wrote:Again, only surface properties rumble/FFB, no collision FFB at all.

Why would this be ? why one but not the other or both?

Thanks.
Ok, that sounds like better news already. This time it should be fixed for good. Try test5.zip.

Posted: 04 Jul 2013, 19:52
Manmountain
Hmm, weird ?

Yes there is FFB seemingly for all collision and surface impacts.
But it feels slightly different than the normal 1.1, dare I say a slight lag from impact to FFB. Also the FFB feels slightly different, as though a different motor is being used.

Does this sound right ? or am I trying to find fault. :rolleyes:

Posted: 04 Jul 2013, 21:42
sebr
i've the same issue as Manmountain with my AVB TOP SHOT PEGASUS it was a long time i didn't play with it :unsure:

test3 build give me the same message as Manmountain and test5 build is better but not realy lique v1.1
1) if i hit fake pickup => nothing, no vibration
it's the same if i get a bomb

2) i've got the same feeling as Manmountain but it's a long time i didn't use my AVB

3) if i turn off revolt without do anything an AVB and turn on revolt again i loose all car/car and car/wall impacts ... AVB seems to NOT be turned off when i leave revolt (i'm not talking about AVB power swich) => if i turn on AVB alone and move it, nothing appen on the computer AVB is inactiv, after leaving revolt AVB still activ and move alone and become crazy ...

NOTE : all of this was done on linux since i can't make my AVB work with win 8 :blink:
i'll try with beta and rv1.1 and let you know ...

Posted: 04 Jul 2013, 21:52
Manmountain
You say it's been some time since you have used this controller, so the obvious question is have you the latest drives to support your controller in your current OS ?
As your issue sounds a bit more than just the RV issue, but I'm glad to know your experiencing similar issues, I'm not totally mad. :blink:

Posted: 04 Jul 2013, 22:37
sebr
After quick tests

In both rv1.1 12.07, beta and Alpha test5 : i have to turn off/on the AVB if i wish to go back to revolt and get force feedback

Test5 and rv1.1 are realy realy similar ... i think we can say it the same :P

but rv 1.1 is the only one who turn off AVB after revolt quit (unfortunately it can't turn it back on properly)

And in all cases i don't have any vibration with bomb and fake pickup ... :huh:

@Manmountain: the only drivers i can find for it are win 98 and win xp, nothing for vista, 7, 8 and linux : but linux (with what i made my tests) find and drive my AVB directly, so i thing linux driver is good

I promis as fast as i can found a way to use my AVB with win8 i'll do all this tests againe

Posted: 05 Jul 2013, 05:26
Cat
Huki @ Jul 3 2013, 09:54 AM wrote:
Cat wrote:Also, is there any way you can add an option for disabling SteerRate while using analog steering for more direct car control? So the speed at which the wheels turn depend on the player's input rather than the car parameter's default.
Hmm the SteerRate defines the car's handling, I don't think it should be changed in-game. Note that you're using your analog controller to turn the car's virtual steering wheel, so it doesn't make sense to directly turn the car's wheels according to the input.
What if i'm using a wheel? Suggested that because i find steering somewhat sluggish.

Oh, and the last test build didn't work, still the same. That was Test3, gonna try Test5. Huki, do you even have an analog controller? It will make testing easier for you.

EDIT: Nope, still the same with Test5.

Posted: 05 Jul 2013, 17:53
Huki
@Cat: About sluggish steering, you can try configuring the Steering Range and Deadzone (and non-linear steering) options in controller settings. Calibrating the device from Windows control panel could also help.
If the test5 build still crashes with -noforce I'm afraid it isn't coming from re-volt code. What is the situation with 1207? It does crash normally but -noforce command line works?

@Sebr: So do you agree that the force feedback behavior is same in v1.1 and test5 build?
In fact there is no FFB support for bomb explosion, and it's not going to be that easy to add it (especially without owning an FFB controller). So for now you'll have to do with the camera shake and boom. ;)

@MM: No idea what could cause your lag. It didn't exist in the 12.0815 build?
By the way, it seems that we're building v1.2 against the wrong DirectInput version which could be the source of some discrepancies. I've lowered the DI version to what I think the original devs had used. It's unlikely that it would change anything, but it wouldn't hurt to try.
Download the new build test6.zip.
@Cat: You might as well try this build too (with -norforce).

Posted: 06 Jul 2013, 04:27
Cat
Huki @ Jul 5 2013, 09:23 AM wrote: @Cat: About sluggish steering, you can try configuring the Steering Range and Deadzone (and non-linear steering) options in controller settings. Calibrating the device from Windows control panel could also help.
Not what i meant but nevermind, it's not as bad as i tought.

No crash yet so it seems everything is fine.

And 1207 didn't crash under -noforce.

Posted: 09 Aug 2013, 22:15
veugar
Vcontroller program can help you faster:)
(':rolleyes:')

Posted: 15 Jan 2015, 06:44
ElectricBee
This thread is possibly dead as a doornail, but I can confirm on my Playstation 2 DualShock 2 controller, via a couple of cheap Playstation to USB adapters (and conveniently with the same set of drivers) that force-feedback works.

Here are the two adapters I know function;
http://amazon.com/gp/product/B004XY2WIW (2-player adapter)
http://amazon.com/gp/product/B000YMQGWU (1-player adapter)

And they both work with the drivers contained in this archive [Mediafire].

Posted: 17 Jan 2015, 00:09
nevermind
I was also able to play RV using PS2 DualShock 2 controller + USB adapter. I was also able to run several 4 players races using 3 PS3 DualShock 3 controllers and that DS2. No drivers needed, indeed, but I prefer low profile keyboards instead.

Posted: 17 Jan 2015, 00:43
Abc
These controllers are XInput, they are perfectly usable but they have Z axis problem and stick is not perfect.

Posted: 11 Feb 2015, 08:37
ElectricBee
A resolution for xinput issues could be to use GlovePie to reassign axises so the game correctly recognizes the Z axis?

Surely, you could find a GlovePie script to force Xinput to act like DirectInput through PPJoy. Kludgy, sure but it'd work.