Page 1 of 1
Posted: 31 Aug 2011, 14:54
Wint
Back in 2005 I posted the following info at the RVA forum, now lost. Had the info been available here sooner then [THIS] posting could have had a different outcome, answering YES to the question: "I have been able to import the geometry into zmodeler, but I don't know how to deal with textures. Is it possible to view the map in zmodeler with all the textures in place?"

Multiple bitmaps can be used on a single .prm in Zmodeler. For example, a model mapped to parts of MyTrackC.bmp, MyTrackF.bmp and MyTrackJ.bmp will export or import properly if you follow the example below. The trick is to use the correct settings in "zm_model.inf", a configuration text file created/saved by Zmodeler whenever the .prm plugin is used. "Zm_model.inf" is always created in the same folder as your models, edit it with a program like Wordpad (instead of Notepad) for proper viewing.

Example:

[quote=""Zmodeler""]

;======================================================
;==================        Custom INFO file              =================
;======================================================

;    This file was generated by ZModeler and used when importing PRM files.
;    To import the whole vehicle into ZModeler and/or export it all you can
;    write filenames in the FILES section. Don't forget to write proper number of
;    files after FILES keyword.

;write NO keyword if you have any problems when importing PRM files.
USE_THIS_FILE     
YES

;NO = use specified texture. YES = use textures with suffices: a,b,c, and so on.
TEXTURES_SUFFIXES 
YES

FILES              1     
MyModels.prm { TPage:
MyTrack.bmp  Offset:  0.000000  0.000000  0.000000 }
[/quote]

- To import or export a multi-texture track .prm type YES and YES, as shown above. While in this mode the program behaves as described below.

- In the above example "MyTrack.bmp" is the base name of the textures used (without the A-J suffix). The textures the model is mapped to would have the a-j suffix of course:

MyTrackA.bmp
MyTrackB.bmp
MyTrackC.bmp
MyTrackD.bmp
MyTrackE.bmp
MyTrackF.bmp
MyTrackG.bmp
MyTrackH.bmp
MyTrackI.bmp
MyTrackJ.bmp

- When exporting a .prm the .bmp basename should be set automatically by Zmodeler and saved in the .inf file, the name is based on the textures your model is using. Upon export the object name will be the .prm name, no matter what you type in the export dialog box. Remember that "object" names in Zmodeler must end in "0" (zero) before they are exported as .prm, and that all objects must be "united" into one object before exporting as a single model.

- When importing a .prm you must specify the .bmp basename of the models you load, which changes based on the track folder you are loading from. You must also specify the exact name of the .prm you want to load ("MyModels.prm" in the example above). Update and save the .inf before importing a .prm.

- For model editing/converting get "ZModeler v1.07" at http://www.zmodeler2.com/
Note: Zmodeler 1.07 is no longer available at the official site but finding zmodeler_v107.exe at a trustworthy site will give you the complete package.

- For additional effects get the "rvminis" and "rvglue" at http://www.perror.de/rv/
Note: rvshade.exe (rvminis) must be used on Zmod .prm exports.

Posted: 31 Aug 2011, 14:59
Wint
Here's a bonus Zmod tip from another posting I'd made at the RVA forum in 2005:

I was browsing the [archive] of the Racer's Point forum and spotted a Zmod posting that explains how to create a model with both env mapped and non-env mapped parts at the same time.

[quote=""The Me and Me""]
Posted by The Me and Me on 07-22-2002

Okay, after my bragging on the push towards glue 7 thread, I actually FOUND out how to "non-env" polies in ZMod.
At least I think so, so if anybody could test this as well it would be great.
Works like this (in ZMod 1.05 final):
Select the faces you want to have non-env
Press Ctrl+A
Click on "Miscelanous Values"
Tick the "Don't Blend Textures" box
Do the usual import-export routine so it appears right in game
Youre done

Well thats it. This Attributes Menu also is the way to double side polies. Make the Cull "CW" when you want a poly double sided.

Also, it leaves up the question if you can do semi-transparent things in ZMod. And I'm not so sure about it. But I wouldnt deny it either. So if anyone wants to try, do so. Its all there...

Much thanks to Sven (Eleanor) for these tips...
[/quote]

To update the procedure for the current ZModeler v1.07b (freeware): just press the "Misc." tab after pressing Ctrl-A.

Posted: 31 Aug 2011, 16:46
urnemanden
Thanks a lot for the information Wint, nice job on the digging. Until now I was unaware that Zmodeler supported more than one material. But it's certainly nice to know that Zmodeler isn't as simple as it seems. Not to derail, but you seem very familiar with Zmodeler. Out of curiosity, what have you been using it to in regards of Re-Volt?

Posted: 31 Aug 2011, 18:52
Wint
Thanks Urne, I was just posting what I had that might be useful to others. I only ever used Zmodeler for file conversion. As for my Re-Volt work, in 2004 I learned the depths of extreme track making and experimented for a year or two after that but none of my projects progressed beyond the planning stages. Despite learning a lot I have nothing to show for it and very likely never will, the fragmented tool chain I had to use and the learning curve/effort involved ended up grinding my (re-volt) creative urges to dust. Until recently I hadn't touched Re-Volt in years, and while I have lots of love for the game and have been with it since 1999 I don't think I'll ever manage to really join the party. :)

Posted: 31 Aug 2011, 22:23
Citywalker
You can “really join the party” in several ways :) I’m an absolute null in graphics department, but in co-op with others I’ve been able to realise many of my (crazy) ideas at RVZT (some even wound up in WolfR4, thanks to Jigebren). So never say never!

Posted: 06 Sep 2011, 10:52
Wint
Thanks for the encouragement Citywalker, that's good advice, but a big part of the problem is being tied up with other things. :)

Urnemanden, I hadn't touched Gmax in years but I saw your nice Gmax tutorials and was left wondering how you were exporting your work to Re-Volt. Searching around for the answer I discovered the all new ASE exporter for Gmax ( asc+aseExpv2.11_en.ms ) that's compatible with the ASE Tools ( rvtmod7 ). Wow! I mentioned my toolchain struggle before but the new script changes things and offers some hope of publishing at least one project some day. Gmax was really my only option for large scale 3D work.

I suspect the new export script for Gmax makes Zmodeler nearly obsolete as a core modelling and texturing tool for this game and I think new track designers should take the time to learn it. The benefit of both programs is that they're free and will work on low end PCs with ancient operating systems like Win98, newer PCs have other options of course.