Page 1 of 1
Posted: 25 Jul 2011, 09:40
Cat
Out of a sudden, my computer freezes temporarily. The Windows Resource Monitor shows 100% Highest Active (CPU runs normally) with dips and a noise from the HD every 3 seconds (there's no click of death). During that, my PC takes a year to load anything from the hard drive.

Used CHKDSK & Disk Defragmenter, but nothing.

My antivirus says me that my computer is clean though. Do i need a new hard drive?

EDIT: I'll post a video later.

Posted: 25 Jul 2011, 14:00
VaiDuX461
I think you will need to buy a new hard drive, if it makes strange noise. You can also try to reinstall Windows (Format HDD and install Windows again).

Posted: 25 Jul 2011, 18:26
jigebren
In the Windows Resource Monitor, can you see which process is eating all the cpu?

Maybe your hd is failing, but it could also sound like you're computer is running out of memory and his trying to swap a lot. You should check if the size of the memory swap file is suddenly constantly increasing.

Posted: 25 Jul 2011, 19:35
Cat
Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuoFDxtQaOU

The blue lines are the highest active time.

Raise the volume to hear the t-trrrt-t.

EDIT: Disk tab is shown here. As i said before, the CPU runs normally.

Posted: 25 Jul 2011, 22:31
Huki
Cat @ Jul 25 2011, 09:40 AM wrote: The Windows Resource Monitor shows 100% Highest Active (CPU runs normally) with dips and a noise from the HD every 3 seconds (there's no click of death).
I thought the "100% Highest Active" refers to CPU usage. You were talking about hard disk activity, weren't you?. Well, jigebren's theory still fits best. But the memory swap file size is always set to its maximum allowed size, AFAIK, so I don't know if you can find it's real current size. For info, the first 3 processes in the video seem to read / write too much data and have a very high response time (5 - 8 secs). Have you tried booting in safe mode?

Posted: 03 Aug 2011, 21:33
Cat
Since saturday, Windows 7 can't boot, takes a year to do any operation and sends me directly to the Startup Repair. Also, the HD does the noise (100% Highest Active) mentioned in the video all the time without stopping.

(I'm writing from another computer)

Posted: 30 Aug 2011, 11:40
Cat
Replaced the Hitachi HD with a Western Digital one and installed Win7. Now writing from my laptop. Time to get the mood back, surf the internet for the lost things and later get back on RV car making. The Truck WIP is stored in a e-mail since i beta tested it with Jig, so i can keep working on it. Lost WIPs include some repaints.