Page 1 of 1
Posted: 21 Jun 2011, 21:45
nero
I would need like, a tutorial on how to make a decent Re-Volt track in 3dsmax, since appearantly, it's much faster to model and UV Map in 3dsmax.
Frankly, it's all chinese to me due to the fact that I got used to Zmodeler's interface, but my problem with Zmod is that it takes far too long to model and UV Map a track.

I don't want to work on a track for more than a week, because if it turns out like crap, then there goes a LOT of wasted and precious time.

If anyone has the time to write up a decent tutorial that is understandable, or a good quality video that you can follow, it would be greatly appriciated.

No, I won't use the likes of Blender or the likes of Gmax. ASE Tools are the way to go.

Posted: 22 Jun 2011, 00:59
Skitch2
Hey dude!
Glad to see you may join in with the max fun!!
Start here...
http://rvzt.zackattackgames.com/main/co ... uide_track
Then post any quezzies you have in this thread and ill answer if i can!
Mike...

PS I am reviving My Creaion point forum aswell so feel free to pop ove and ask away!
http://creationpoint.myfastforum.org/index.php

Posted: 02 Jul 2012, 23:51
NNitro
Once you know how to load elevation maps into 3dsmax with the Displacement Map modifier, I highly recommend using a 3d terrain editor/creator called EarthSculptor to create then export your elevation maps for max - tip - rename your track texture .bmp to one of the texture files in EarthSculptor (and have your track texture in that folder of course). Then you can simply paint your track texture onto EarthSculptor with the texture paint feature (make your brush big enough to cover the whole thing at once - you can edit the .ini file to make an even bigger brush size if you need it)) - and wholla - you can use EarthSculptor's superb set of terrain editing tools to terraform your track, then export it and load it into 3dsmax for your elevation map - works beautifully. And I agree with you - ase tools is the way to go ...

Posted: 03 Jul 2012, 01:03
KDL
About terrain:
I think it's better to use noise + Edit poly's paint to fully control the terrain.

-----

Basics can be found here : link

About smoothing group: Linky

---

3D basics:

Let's say we want to make a ground filled with grass,
Create a plane 8x8 (size 4000x4000)
Add Material (see tutorial)
Assign Material (see tutorial)
Modifier list -> UV Map : select face ( select planar, cylindric and box for tests)
Modifier list -> Unwrap UVW , click edit to have the best UV

WARNING: that navy (blue) box is the limit of mapping, all the mapping inside is between 0..1

---

I don't want to work on a track for more than a week, because if it turns out like crap, then there goes a LOT of wasted and precious time.
Not really, best tracks are usually made within a month and are made in partitions