Page 1 of 1
Posted: 28 May 2011, 03:13
jigebren
I have recently faced a glitch with the water splash when using a waterbox and semi-transparent polygons to model water in a track.
(for info this glitch has nothing to do with the common waterbox bug already fixed in WolfR4, and now in the last v1.2 too).

It was only a visual glitch, as if some water surface polygons prevented the splash to be displayed under a particular angle of view. Here's an example:

By modifying only a bit the angle of view of the camera, the splash can be fully and properly displayed, so here is what should be the expected rendering:

Huki told me he has already noticed this water glitch in several user tracks, but we know it never appears in stock tracks.
I was about to ask here for any clue about this issue, but well, after looking at the source and playing with the setting in Blender, I can directly post the answer now... ;)

To be sure the water splash will be rendered as nicely as in the stock tracks, the semi-transparent polygons used as the water surface simply have to use the Additive Blending property (it's called Additive Blending in my Blender plugin, also in the Ali's doc page, I don't know about ASE tool, so if someone can add the info...).

As you can see on the following screenshot, using Additive Blending property obviously modifies the rendering (I think it adds up the color value to the surfaces behind instead of merging them) but it's suitable for a water effect. And now the glitch is no more...

Posted: 28 May 2011, 03:32
urnemanden
Interesting find you got there Jigebren, thanks for clearing this out! I have had a look at the ASE Tools smoothing group table and I believe a similar fix can be obtained by assigning SG property 28 to the surface. I haven't tried it out yet but I'll if I get time to do so this weekend.

Posted: 28 May 2011, 14:13
miromiro
That's your track, dude? Well, it sucks!

Nah, just kidding. Looks amazing, good luck. ;)

Posted: 30 May 2011, 01:26
jigebren
@Urne
Thanks for the info, I didn't know where to look in the ASE doc. Well, I'm pretty sure it's the right property, so I think you don't even have to try.
So, the property to set for water surface is called Additive Transparency in the ASE tools, and it's mapped to the smoothing group 28.