Page 1 of 1
Posted: 07 Apr 2011, 20:18
victorpsbg
Hello everybody!
This is actually my first post about a tutorial here.
I`m not really good at repainting or texturing cars, but I will be active. My actual first repaint is my avatar -- you can check it. Anyway It`s not yet public or over the internet because I have to improve something...
Let`s start the real work.

This method I found nearly soon and want to share it with you.

Note that this is the Text-ONLY Edition of this tutorial, you can and it`s recommended you download the full tutorial (pictures and effects included) from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?z7g5gv7h33of233

1. What are we going to use:
-ZModeler 1.07 ( http://www.zmodeler2.com/?mode=downloads )
A program made mostly for modeling and editing cars for some games; ONLY 1.07 version and before support Re-Volt Format (.PRM)

-Adobe Photoshop CS5 (No link -- It`s not a free program)
Most people know this --> The best program for editing, making pictures. It`s actually best to have CS5 (Creative Pack 5) because it has best power and supports 3D and texturing a 3D model. I am not sure if CS4 or before will have 3D and texturing a 3D model options.

-Your brain (No link -- you should have this)
Guess everyone knows what this is --> a very handy tool, mostly used about thinking out stuff. Should be included in every person.

2. Preparing the formats
As Photoshop CS5 supports .3DS format, its logical we should have it. Open up ZModeler 1.07 and import a car model. I will use cougar for this tutorial.
Go to File>Import and locate the body.PRM of the car.

Simple as it is, go to File>Export and choose .3DS as format. Save it as body.3DS

This is it for Zmodeler, close it.

3. Importing model, loading/editing texture
Open up Photoshop

Click on File>Open and locate your exported body.3DS

After clicking on 'Open' The 3D model will appear on your screen.

Use the 'Camera Rotation Tool (N)' to rotate the camera and see your object(car) from all the sides you want

Now look at the 3D object properties.

Double-Click on the little square blue icon in the bottom-right corner and a new window will appear.

Head to the '3D {SCENE}' tab and click on 'Material_1'. Hit the little browse icon on the right of the 'Diffuse' text and click on 'Open Texture' or 'Load Texture'. Locate your texture and close the window of the '3D {SCENE}' stuff. First you will see your car textured. Double click the text under your layout and under the 'Diffuse' Text which should be most times named 'car'. A new tab will appear with your texture file.

You can now left-click and switch between your car`s tab and your texture`s tab. Switch back to the texture`s tab and enjoy repainting your car. You can draw directly on the 3D model of the car or draw/edit the texture and see the changes on the 3D car tab.

Go to File>Save as and save it as a .BMP

3. Testing and enjoying it
After you save the file, put it in the car`s directory and you have 3 choices:

CHOICE1: Rename the old car.BMP to car2.BMP or something and put the new car.BMP (the edited texture) on it`s place

CHOICE2: Head to parameters.TXT and on the place of car.BMP type your new texture`s name

CHOICE3: Delete the old car.BMP and put the new one

**If there is a car.BMQ remove or delete it!

You can use Jigebren`s texture resizer which generates a .BMQ file for your texture and has the ability to resize your .BMP. This is his website: http://jigebren.free.fr/jeux/pc/revolt/

Now you can start the game, select your repainted car and enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT1: Found some problems about the texture/3D car window in the post. FiXED.
EDIT2: Minor changes to the post.
EDIT3: Removed TEXT-ONLY edition from the full edition file. Link is same.
EDIT4: Kind of Changed the method of repainting, now the texture does not need to be resized to 1024x1024 and then back to 256x256 which makes lose of quality.
EDIT5: Link updated with the newest things, please re-download it...
EDIT6: Fixed a mistake of mine and added some infos... Also updated the full version, please re-download it to get the new stuff.

Posted: 22 Apr 2011, 22:33
victorpsbg
Please say what you think so I can have in mind how am I going... ;)

Posted: 25 May 2011, 14:38
synasthesia
looks good sofar, would try it if i could get my photoshop cs5 to work
keeps yelling i haven't got enough disk space on C: but theres 302gb free... lol

my disk is checking and defragmenting now, will try the install again tonight and after that i'll give your tutorial a go

Posted: 30 May 2011, 16:24
victorpsbg
Hehe thanks! :)
I`m exited you are the first to reply me here! :lol:
I would recommend you to use Microsoft`s Disk Defragment or any other will done nice too, but try a program like Disk Checker (google it) to check if you hard drive isn`t broken or something cuz I had a problem like that before. I gave my laptop to the creators or support, i have no idea and they changed the whole hard drive (it was broken). If your Hard Drive isn`t hurt, broken or something critical that can`t be fixed (needs replacing the whole hard drive), reinstalling your operating system (Windows) will be another way.

If you need any other help about Computers or Photoshop, feel free to ask me. I will be happy to help you ;)

Thank you for trying this out, victorpsbg

Posted: 30 May 2011, 16:27
victorpsbg
Oh and also have you downloaded PhotoshopCS5 from Adobe`s official website?
Because if not, I recommend you to get it from there. It can be a problem that happeed while downloading the program or just you downloaded it from another source, which may have it broken or interrupted while uploading, etc. ;)

I hope you fix your problem, victorpsbg

Posted: 30 May 2011, 16:35
synasthesia
thanks for the reply, going to reinstall windows this week
so i hope to get to your tutorial in the weekend

don't worry about my laptop :P
i have a fulltime IT job, do things like this all day <_<
think i'll need more help using photoshop... :lol:
just don't have enough time

fix laptop, drive real life rc, girlfriend, learning blender, fulltime job
i need waaaay more than 24h a day :blink:

i got CS5 on DVD so that shouldn't be a problem

Posted: 30 May 2011, 17:11
victorpsbg
Wow I didn`t expect something like this to happen -- I replied you and after less than 1 minute, when I was logging out I saw you replied me too. :D

About what I understood, as I am not english, you are more than 18 years old, you got Information Technology job?

About the Photoshop help? I`m kinda pro with it so I will waaaaay help you with all I know or can. I`ve sent you a PM with my MSN/Hotmail and Skype. Check it out and if you have one of them, please add me so I can help you out with anything.

CD`s and DVD`s, especially DVD`s are really easy to corrupt. Even a little scratch can corrupt some files, data, bytes and problems like this can happen.
If you are going to reinstall your Windows, OK, that`s good. :)
After you do it and try out with CS5 again, if same problem 90% it`s the DVD`s fault. Try downloading it from Adobe`s website which won`t take soo long. If same problem again, maybe your Hard Drive isn`t OK or Adobe bugged their installer somehow...
Another problem can be the CD/DVD reader. It can break and/or scratch disks itself. It could also just not read them the right way...

Hope I helped somehow and hope I will help in future too :D
Greetings, victorpsbg

Posted: 30 May 2011, 18:39
synasthesia
lol, yeah, happened to be online at that moment while having break at work :)
ow I didn`t expect something like this to happen -- I replied you and after less than 1 minute, when I was logging out I saw you replied me too. :D

About what I understood, as I am not english, you are more than 18 years old, you got Information Technology job?
completely correct :)
don't worry, i'm not english either... :P

About the Photoshop help? I`m kinda pro with it so I will waaaaay help you with all I know or can. I`ve sent you a PM with my MSN/Hotmail and Skype. Check it out and if you have one of them, please add me so I can help you out with anything.
will do that
CD`s and DVD`s, especially DVD`s are really easy to corrupt. Even a little scratch can corrupt some files, data, bytes and problems like this can happen.
If you are going to reinstall your Windows, OK, that`s good.
After you do it and try out with CS5 again, if same problem 90% it`s the DVD`s fault. Try downloading it from Adobe`s website which won`t take soo long. If same problem again, maybe your Hard Drive isn`t OK or Adobe bugged their installer somehow...
Another problem can be the CD/DVD reader. It can break and/or scratch disks itself. It could also just not read them the right way...
CD is brand new and laptop is only 6 months old, but had quite a few performance problems after i used 3Ds Max 2009, removing that fixed most of them except the disk one so i think a reinstall will help a lot, 3Ds Max screwed everything up...
No more 3Ds Max for me, switched to Blender and loving it sofar

Posted: 30 May 2011, 21:40
victorpsbg
Hehe good to know I understood what you typed :D

Anyway I use 3D`s Max 2011 with his friend Maya 2011 and work perfect...
No problems at all and no trouble from 1 year, as I reinstalled both Windows and them much.
I got no idea what happened to your hard drive when installing 3ds max but Blender is really good too so you will have no problems with it :)

There`s also an import plugin for it so you can easly use with Re-Volt.

Hope your problem gets fixed and see you soon, victorpsbg

Posted: 01 Jun 2011, 13:47
synasthesia
everything works great now, started to try out your tutorials today and works fine so far
it's pretty clear to me

doing a repaint of RC bandit with it right now :)

Posted: 01 Jun 2011, 15:58
victorpsbg
Thanks, really. :)
I hope this will help you and teach u to make repaints.
This was my FIRST PUBLISHED THING ever! :D
I was really exited and tried to do my best...
I am really better now, next tutorial will be on a video maybe =/

If you find any problems, mistakes or anything please contact me so I can fix it! :D

Thanks again and see you soon I hope, victorpsbg

Posted: 02 Jun 2011, 14:53
synasthesia
how come, when i edit the texture.bmp it also edits the 3d view, but when i draw directly on the 3d view it does not edit the texture.bmp?

Posted: 28 Jun 2011, 23:32
victorpsbg
Hey and sorry for beign away for so much times...
From school i just forgot about this forum <_<

So about your problem, i dont know but i quess its some functions that have been changed. Can you pleaes upload some SS`s so i can look out your Photoshop. Also it`s CS5, right?