Page 1 of 1
Posted: 24 Feb 2011, 19:35
synasthesia
sooo...
i'm new on this site, not new on Re-Volt, played from 1999 to around 2004, picked it up again after not playing for a few year

i also got some knowledge of 3Ds Max and want to get into designing my own cars & tracks for the game and mostly learn more of lowpoly design and texturing this way.
only done highpoly meshsmoothed with standard 3ds max materials sofar...

i am that far that i can import a car in 3Ds Max by importing it into Zmodeler, exporting it as .3ds and import that in 3Ds Max...
still finding out on how to render it in there with the original texture...

but i see so much tools etc that i don't really know how/where to start...
i hope to find some nice info on this forum, from what i read already there are some great Re-Volt modders here B)

really awesome job on 1.2, following it with great interest, as Re-Volt came on #1 on my game list again
downloaded a lot of cars and tracks for it already too
have to say, Re-Volt is agreat way to get into designing your own stuff for a game as i find it highly adjustable sofar, with .bmp textures and .txt parameters etc.

love real life rc's too though :)

Posted: 24 Feb 2011, 20:58
urnemanden
Welcome to ORP & welcome back to the Re-Volt community!

I understand why you might be confused, but perhaps I can recommend you a tool to start out with. If you have any questions, just ask. :)

ASE Tools & RV-Glue
Export any model or mesh to ASE and use this tool to convert the ASE file into *.w, *.prm and/or *.ncp. Also supports a variety of other formats, like lighting and track zones, but that can be done via Re-Volt with MAKEITGOOD already.

And here is some Info-pages related to ASE Tools

Posted: 01 Mar 2011, 13:36
synasthesia
thanks, that are some great tools
started to experiment with my own car yesterday
hoping to finish the body tonight

also been reading a lot about extreme track making, starting to get clearer for me now :)

been trying around also with RV 1.2 and it runs much smoother on my Win7 PC, which is awesome.
Had some huge lags sometimes, even though RV kept saying 70fps
never seen it again with 1.2

Posted: 01 Mar 2011, 14:33
urnemanden
Cool, if you want any feedback you could possibly post some pictures of the car here (or not depending on how much of your creation you want to reveal :P ).
synasthesia wrote: been trying around also with RV 1.2 and it runs much smoother on my Win7 PC, which is awesome.
Had some huge lags sometimes, even though RV kept saying 70fps
never seen it again with 1.2
Jigebren & especially Huki did a great job on Re-Volt 1.2, I totally agree. If you want to help out, perhaps sign up as a beta tester on the website and help testing the nightly builds too. :)

Posted: 02 Mar 2011, 13:43
synasthesia
I have no more time the rest of this week, in the weekend i will post some pictures of my progress on the car :)

great, gonna sign up as beta tester! :D

Posted: 04 Mar 2011, 22:26
synasthesia
awesome... have to start all over cause max corrupted al 6 of my save files and all autobak files... :(

also lost about an hour work on my highpoly AMW i'm working on :(

Posted: 04 Mar 2011, 22:28
urnemanden
oooh :(

I'm a bit curious though. Highpoly AMW? Sure that the Re-Volt engine can handle that? =P

I hope you will consider vertex colors on your cars. Many custom cars clearly lacks that (unfortunately).

Posted: 05 Mar 2011, 01:16
synasthesia
highpoly AMW, just for rendering etc. maybe try an animation but not for in game use

will look into the vertex color thing, looks like a very nice option
still haven't really got the hang of texturing, materials etc....

Posted: 05 Mar 2011, 01:58
urnemanden
ah, alright. Good luck with the project, if you need any help with texturing etc. you're very welcome to leave a message here. Always willing to help ^^

Posted: 05 Mar 2011, 12:30
KDL
forgot to mention that I got a high-poly AMW (.prm -> zmodeler -> .3ds -> 3ds max -> import -> join points -> Mesh smooth)
and it's fully textured

I can't see modeling without texturing, because they are totally linked, you can't model a thing without knowledge of texturing, you'll regret it later (I mean too much polies or too few ones will affect texturing, also misplaced vertices can screw the whole stuffs up)

Texturing is a basic, you'll have to be patient and follow every tutorial you get in your hand, you'll later think "wow! that was... easy!"
_
as for help, I'm also ready for any technical support.

Posted: 05 Mar 2011, 14:37
synasthesia
i know about texturing, and that is the next thing to learn and follow tutorials for me

i already got to the point sometimes where i needed texturing but didn't do it...
but gotta get to it sometime

i know something about the UWV Unwrap modifier in 3Ds Max, but not enough, gonna search some good tutorials for it

Posted: 18 Mar 2011, 16:54
synasthesia
totally got into racing downloaded cars and tracks so i barely did any modelling lately :rolleyes:

but my 3Ds Max is giving me a lot of problems with corrupted files etc. again, so i'm quitting it and going to learn blender

reïnstalled max 3 times now and my machine once, still got the same problems, even with new files....

Got a nice load of tutorials so i know what to do this weekend :D

Posted: 18 Mar 2011, 17:44
KDL
at least me (and a lot of others) always make "backup" files (more like save per day/hour)

Posted: 18 Mar 2011, 19:02
synasthesia
i did save a lot, increment on save and the autobackup function of max was always on too...
but somehow every file saved during the session when my file got corrupt also got corrupt, the incremented files and the autobackups

example:
working for 4 hours ->
saving every 15-30mins = 8-16 saves after 4 hours
autobackup -> saves every 10mins = 24 saves after 4 hours

next day loading all of the 32-40 files from those 4 hours are corrupt

got this problem about 6 times now, and i'm sick of it, i'd rather learn a new program than start over every time because max corrupts everything