Page 1 of 1
Posted: 19 Feb 2011, 18:50
Cosmo_Kramer
first im not sure i put this in right place so sorry if im wrong....

Ok,what do you think would it be good if you could set the clock when race is gonna start..

for example,when finish racing,some people especialy new guys that just came in think there is not goin to be more races beacuse we just finish racing and they leave.
It would be good if there is a posibility to imiditely open a room when finish racing with clock whitch would say for example ..."race in 25 minutes" and the clock ofcourse would do countdown.Somebadoy always open a room in half an hour so why not open a room immidietly so people know is gonna be race and they know when and they would join.
we would have more "big races" and everybofy would know when the race is goin to start.and pepole would not go in to your room and bother you with "START GO RACE GO START GO WAIT NO GO RACE PLEASE I GO START"

ofcourse if you dont want clock countdown just open a room and start the game :)

the most important thing about countdown would be that host doesnt start the race before countdown is over.bacuse if you know the race is in half an hour then you know you can easily by that time go to buy milk,masturbate or whatever

Posted: 21 Feb 2011, 02:40
Stingox
Yes this is a developement that could be useful.

signed

Posted: 21 Feb 2011, 02:45
URV
you can easily by that time go to buy milk,masturbate or whatever
That was the most awesome part.
---
I think it's pretty useless. Those guys saying
"START GO RACE GO START GO WAIT NO GO RACE PLEASE I GO START"
should get out until they learn to wait. That's my opinion.

Posted: 21 Feb 2011, 08:41
Citywalker
It's not useless. The ability to plan your time is worth a lot. If I ever were into online racing, I would definitely want to have that feature, to know whether I can race soon or whether I have a long wait, during which I can do someting else useful.

Think of it like that: learning to wait blindly is not a virtue. Learning to plan your time is a virtue.

[Edited for typo]

Posted: 21 Feb 2011, 13:02
urnemanden
Sounds to me like you've come up with a pretty neat idea Cosmo! I would definitely like to see something like that in a future update of RV House.

*hoping arto sees this*

Posted: 21 Feb 2011, 18:56
Huki
What we (also) really need in RVHouse is the ability to set (and launch with) re-volt command lines, and an option to disable error logging.

Posted: 23 Feb 2011, 10:33
arto
Huki @ Feb 21 2011, 02:26 PM wrote: What we (also) really need in RVHouse is the ability to set (and launch with) re-volt command lines, and an option to disable error logging.
The countdown clock sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately, looking at how much I've been able to work on RV House, I can't realistically promise it.

The command-line and disabling error logging are small things, and I'll try to reserve some time to do them.

Posted: 23 Feb 2011, 11:19
Huki
arto @ Feb 23 2011, 10:33 AM wrote: The command-line and disabling error logging are small things, and I'll try to reserve some time to do them.
Ah, let me add.. an option to choose the re-volt exe file to launch. It's another entry in the DirectPlay Re-Volt registry key, so it should be no problem.

By the way, the libnetcomgrp download link in rvhouse website (sources section) seems to be broken. Can you fix that or is it not needed anymore?

Sort of offtopic and you might have guessed it, but rvhouse server has been down again, a day after you had last rebooted it..

Posted: 24 Feb 2011, 03:08
the_law
Cosmo_Kramer @ Feb 19 2011, 02:20 PM wrote: first im not sure i put this in right place so sorry if im wrong....

Ok,what do you think would it be good if you could set the clock when race is gonna start..

for example,when finish racing,some people especialy new guys that just came in think there is not goin to be more races beacuse we just finish racing and they leave.
It would be good if there is a posibility to imiditely open a room when finish racing with clock whitch would say for example ..."race in 25 minutes" and the clock ofcourse would do countdown.Somebadoy always open a room in half an hour so why not open a room immidietly so people know is gonna be race and they know when and they would join.
we would have more "big races" and everybofy would know when the race is goin to start.and pepole would not go in to your room and bother you with "START GO RACE GO START GO WAIT NO GO RACE PLEASE I GO START"

ofcourse if you dont want clock countdown just open a room and start the game :)

the most important thing about countdown would be that host doesnt start the race before countdown is over.bacuse if you know the race is in half an hour then you know you can easily by that time go to buy milk,masturbate or whatever
Why not just write "race at cet 22:00" in the name of the room?

Posted: 24 Feb 2011, 08:13
Huki
Huki @ Feb 23 2011, 11:19 AM wrote:
arto @ Feb 23 2011, 10:33 AM wrote: The command-line and disabling error logging are small things, and I'll try to reserve some time to do them.
Ah, let me add.. an option to choose the re-volt exe file to launch. It's another entry in the DirectPlay Re-Volt registry key, so it should be no problem.

By the way, the libnetcomgrp download link in rvhouse website (sources section) seems to be broken. Can you fix that or is it not needed anymore?

Sort of offtopic and you might have guessed it, but rvhouse server has been down again, a day after you had last rebooted it..
Oh, 2 more modifications while you're in the mood. ;)
As re-volt will support late-joining in the future, the 3-minute limit for re-launching needs to be removed. And of course, the ability to join an already started room (can be turned on or off from New Room Settings).

Posted: 24 Feb 2011, 08:41
Citywalker
Gah!... Epic logic...

Posted: 24 Feb 2011, 14:49
Cosmo_Kramer
the_law @ Feb 23 2011, 10:38 PM wrote:
Cosmo_Kramer @ Feb 19 2011, 02:20 PM wrote: first im not sure i put this in right place so sorry if im wrong....

the most important thing about countdown would be that host doesnt start the race before countdown is over.bacuse if you know the race is in half an hour then you know you can easily by that time go to buy milk,masturbate  or whatever
well...there is people from argentina brazil aljaska and so on,lots of them 22:00 will mean nothing to them...

Posted: 24 Feb 2011, 14:56
Cosmo_Kramer
arto @ Feb 23 2011, 06:03 AM wrote:
Huki @ Feb 21 2011, 02:26 PM wrote: What we (also) really need in RVHouse is the ability to set (and launch with) re-volt command lines, and an option to disable error logging.
The countdown clock sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately, looking at how much I've been able to work on RV House, I can't realistically promise it.

The command-line and disabling error logging are small things, and I'll try to reserve some time to do them.
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

is that beacuse you have drinking problem,there are roomers in house that you carry this problem for a long time now,is there somethin we can do

Posted: 24 Feb 2011, 16:37
Citywalker
well...there is people from argentina brazil aljaska and so on,lots of them 22:00 will mean nothing to them...
That's what the "CET" part is for.

Posted: 24 Feb 2011, 23:56
arto
Huki @ Feb 23 2011, 06:49 AM wrote:
Hmm why's that needed? Seems kinda unnecessary except for fringe cases. I'd gather most people are using just one RV.
Ah, it's definitely needed. Don't know what has happened, but I'll put it back as soon as possible.
Restarted, should work now.

Posted: 25 Feb 2011, 00:05
arto
Cosmo_Kramer @ Feb 24 2011, 10:26 AM wrote: is that beacuse you have drinking problem,there are roomers in house that you carry this problem for a long time now,is there somethin we can do
There is something you can do. Due to my financial situation, I've been forced to drink really cheap stuff. I can't get anything creative done with such pitiful, foul tasting booze. I think it would help a lot if you could send me some quality beverages.

I prefer:

- good red wine
- dark beer
- good whisky

Thanks Cosmo.

Posted: 25 Feb 2011, 00:27
arto
arto @ Feb 24 2011, 07:26 PM wrote:
Ah, it's definitely needed. Don't know what has happened, but I'll put it back as soon as possible.
There again.

Posted: 25 Feb 2011, 00:48
Huki
arto @ Feb 24 2011, 11:56 PM wrote:
Huki @ Feb 23 2011, 06:49 AM wrote: Ah, let me add.. an option to choose the re-volt exe file to launch. It's another entry in the DirectPlay Re-Volt registry key, so it should be no problem.
Hmm why's that needed? Seems kinda unnecessary except for fringe cases. I'd gather most people are using just one RV.
Hmm, i was thinking it would be nice to be able to launch test builds (i compile revoltd.exe in re-volt folder) instead of renaming them to revolt.exe each time. but i agree it's not that important..

The server and source link are working again. :)

Posted: 25 Feb 2011, 04:30
the_law
Huki @ Feb 24 2011, 08:18 PM wrote:
arto @ Feb 24 2011, 11:56 PM wrote:
Huki @ Feb 23 2011, 06:49 AM wrote: Ah, let me add.. an option to choose the re-volt exe file to launch. It's another entry in the DirectPlay Re-Volt registry key, so it should be no problem.
Hmm, i was thinking it would be nice to be able to launch test builds (i compile revoltd.exe in re-volt folder) instead of renaming them to revolt.exe each time. but i agree it's not that important..

The server and source link are working again. :)
huki can you tell me where to download the (original) source because I would like to have a go at compiling. I am interested porting to directx11 and other things. If I come up with any good stuff for revolt I could send you the source for consideration (this would not be very soon).

Posted: 12 Apr 2011, 14:51
Cosmo_Kramer
just 1 short question about this.i suggested this beacuse i was pretty sure it was easy to do :D

i mean,is it possible that is commplicated to do a watch up to 40 min top that would do a simple countdown? :o

im just checkin,maybe we missunderstood with somethin :D

Posted: 12 Apr 2011, 23:39
arto
Cosmo_Kramer @ Apr 12 2011, 10:21 AM wrote: just 1 short question about this.i suggested this beacuse i was pretty sure it was easy to do  :D

i mean,is it possible that is commplicated to do a watch up to 40 min top that would do a simple countdown?  :o

im just checkin,maybe we missunderstood with somethin  :D
The easiest way would be to store the end time when countdown is reached in the room. I think RV House already stores the time the room was created and the creators local time for synchronization purposes. Using these it should be possible to calculate the time left in the countdown.

Then there would be the changes to the user interface, which could possibly be time consuming.

The reasons I am not doing this at the moment are:
- adding to the room the end time for countdown would break the current protocol so everyone would need to update.
- I am probably going to rewrite the user interface using another toolkit, so I have no motivation to start doing probably time consuming user interface changes for non-critical stuff using the old toolkit.

But remember the RV House source is available, and if someone wants to do the work I am open for including it in the next release.

Posted: 13 Apr 2011, 02:01
Cosmo_Kramer
ooh i understand ok,thought its much easier ...nevermind then...:)

main thing is that server is still alive,guess you vacuum it a bit,told you its gonna make it work

Posted: 13 Apr 2011, 08:13
Citywalker
Another, maybe simpler option is to display the current time (server-side time) somewhere and below that display a simple text saying when the next race will begin.
Example:

Time now: 09:33:25 (ticking)
Race start: 09:50:00 (static)

Posted: 13 Apr 2011, 12:55
victorpsbg
Citywalker wrote: Another, maybe simpler option is to display the current time (server-side time) somewhere and below that display a simple text saying when the next race will begin.
Example:

Yes, this would be useful for a simpler option, but I anyway hope they will develop a clock, either your or Cosmo`s way. :)

Posted: 13 Apr 2011, 19:23
arto
Citywalker @ Apr 13 2011, 03:43 AM wrote: Another, maybe simpler option is to display the current time (server-side time) somewhere and below that display a simple text saying when the next race will begin.
Example:

Just one point, there is no server side time as RV House is P2P. The time must always be relative to each participant.

Posted: 13 Apr 2011, 20:55
Citywalker
In this case:

GMT time now: 09:33:25 (ticking)

Is this easier to implement? GMT time can be polled from time servers.

Posted: 14 Apr 2011, 02:29
Skarma
Cosmo_Kramer @ Feb 19 2011, 01:20 PM wrote:bacuse if you know the race is in half an hour then you know you can easily by that time go to buy milk,masturbate   or whatever
Cosmo_Kramer wrote:is that beacuse you have drinking problem,there are roomers in house that you carry this problem for  a long time now,is there  somethin we can do
What is this?! LOLOLOLOLOL

Posted: 14 Apr 2011, 04:12
arto
Citywalker @ Apr 13 2011, 04:25 PM wrote: In this case:

GMT time now: 09:33:25 (ticking)

Is this easier to implement? GMT time can be polled from time servers.
Well, yes, but adding time server (NTP protocol basically) support is something I'd rather not do without a very good reason. There'd many additional complexities, from allowing the user to specify his NTP server to actually implementing the support for the protocol.

With this I mean, that as long as calculating relative times between the participants is sufficient, adding support for concrete time using time servers is just extra complexity.