Page 1 of 1
Posted: 24 Oct 2010, 18:47
MADCastro.2010
Well, people, i've been thinking a lot about this before posting...

What if Re-Volt were developed in the 2000s/2010s?

I've been thinking it would be featured:

*Depending on the game developer, it would be possible add custom vehicles, colors, paintjobs, decals, vinyls.
* "Large" open world, possibily a tropical island.
* Licenced vehicles, like Audi, Peugeot, Chevrolet, Dodge.
* A Storyline, not a extremely poor storyline like in Need for Speed, but a Movie-like storyline.
* Game modes, like Circuit, Sprint, Drift, Cops and Robbers, Capture the Flag.
* Missions which affects the progress of the Storyline, like delivery and transporting.
* Sport and Normal vehicles, like MPVs, Coupé Utilities, Vans and Trucks.
* Those types of vehicles mentioned before would be useful for missions.
* Offroading, like race in a tropical forest or in a snowing forest.
* Possibility of choose colors, like you have your car and choose the color car when you're going to buy it.
* Weather variations and Day/Night cycle
* Possibilty of "refuel" vehicles.
* Add user music.
* 3D display support.

And you? What kind of content the game would feature in a 2000s/2010s version of Re-Volt in your opinion?

Posted: 24 Oct 2010, 23:03
urnemanden
If Re-Volt were made in 2010 I think it would be too much like any other racing game. Re-Volt was kinda made back when 3D was the new technology that slowly turned out to look greater and greater. There weren't many racing games in the same genre, so it wouldn't have been as original if it wasn't because it was made so long time ago.

If Re-Volt were made in 2010, it would probably:

- be impossible to customize
- DRM secured through Steam or anything similar
- be made by someone else than Acclaim
- high poly

That's my opinion, hehe. :)

Posted: 24 Oct 2010, 23:07
Cat
MADCastro.2010 @ Oct 24 2010, 10:17 AM wrote: *Depending on the game developer, it would be possible add custom vehicles, parts, colors, paintjobs, decals, vinyls.
* "Large" open world, possibily a tropical island.
* Licenced vehicles, like Audi, Peugeot, Chevrolet, Dodge.
* A Storyline, not a extremely poor storyline like in Need for Speed, but a Movie-like storyline.
* Game modes, like Circuit, Sprint, Drift, Cops and Robbers, Capture the Flag.
* Missions which affects the progress of the Storyline, like delivery and transporting.
* Sport and Normal vehicles, like MPVs, Coupé Utilities, Vans and Trucks.
* Those types of vehicles mentioned before would be useful for missions.
* Possibility of choose colors, like you have your car and choose the color car when you're going to buy it.
* Vehicle "customization", like custom bodyshells, custom "engines", custom wheels, custom tires and custom paintjobs.
That's too much ricer era NFS.

I would liked to see gearshifts (certain real life RC's have them), different engine sounds for each car, lights on the cars, and models shaded by lightning (or a tool that can vertex shade the prm's to make them look like the stock car).

EDIT: and exhaust smoke for the glow powered cars.

Posted: 25 Oct 2010, 01:40
MADCastro.2010
Well, let's forget the car customization part and replace it by character customization part.

Posted: 25 Oct 2010, 02:08
jigebren
MADCastro.2010 @ Oct 24 2010, 02:17 PM wrote:* Licenced vehicles, like Audi, Peugeot, Chevrolet, Dodge.
For me, Licenced vehicles don't really add any interest to most racing games. I prefer by far that devellopers create good new original vehicles that perfectly fit the game rather than trying to simulate existing cars (mostly unaffordable cars by the way).
But as far as re-volt is concerned, I'm quite surprised about the suggested brands... I'd rather have think about: Traxxas, HPI Racing, Nikko... ;)

I agree with Urne about DRM...

Also, I imagine the track editor would have been more evolved. But maybe it would have been more complex (or perhaps just impossible) to create our own track or car from scratch using an external 3D modeler.
Cat wrote:EDIT: and exhaust smoke for the glow powered cars.
I believe it has been tested by re-volt developers, but they have not kept it at the end. Maybe it didn't work as expected, or added too much load to the display engine when re-volt was released...?

Posted: 26 Oct 2010, 17:40
KDL
Re-Volt is perfect

Being realistic, the only stuffs will be modified/edited:
the only thing will be added is "shaders" that's all indeed (better graphics/textures perhaps)
shaders: including motion blur, better sun, (you know... graphic modified: Graphic cards support C-stylish programming language called "shader")

about licensed cars: keep dreaming, that will never happen (tooo expensive)

about music: there is absolutely no progress in sounds and music since 1999...

Posted: 30 Oct 2010, 19:46
Adamodell
The longest answer I can muster to this question:
"It would suck".