Page 1 of 1
Posted: 24 Oct 2010, 18:09
urnemanden
Since I know many of you got different opinions about cars, I thought I would like to hear what you have to say about them.

My own opinion is that a car for Re-Volt should be in RC style in order to go well with the stock cars. Since I race a lot online, I find it important to have something similar offline as well. Therefore my favourite custom cars among them all is Thunder Tiger BX. I also appreciate if the cars has the typical vertex shading you see on the stock cars as well. It makes them kinda less "flat" in looking (a look which unfortunately many custom cars has).

Posted: 24 Oct 2010, 20:15
jigebren
urnemanden @ Oct 24 2010, 01:39 PM wrote:My own opinion is that a car for Re-Volt should be in RC style in order to go well with the stock cars.
I fully agree with that. MOH's "Thunder Tiger BX" or Iron Bob's "Sxt4" are exactly the kind of car I like to see in re-volt.
It's very important for me to keep the RC look. I sometime feel bored by the amount of direct conversions from other games of cars that don't have this RC look at all, comparatively to the low amount of available RC cars (no offense intended for cars converters though).

I also appreciate a good low-poly modeling. Sometime the number of polies seems to be used as an argument to demonstrate the quality of the modeling, while IMO there is far more merit to be able to make a good-looking car using as few polies as possible. And it's better for the framerate...

The last point is about parameters. For example, I personally feel that Iron Bob's "Sxt4" goes far too fast (I know he doesn't feel the same...). It's good to have well balanced parameters, that is to say, with advantage and drawbacks. Trying to get the perfect car that goes as fast as possible without skidding, etc. is probably the will of all beginners, but it's not the best way to have fun with this game IMO. Sometime, I like to drive Phat Slug too... :)

Posted: 25 Oct 2010, 02:20
Aeon
Re-Volt, in my opinion, simply has too many cars that don't really fit anywhere and/or aren't balanced with what they're designed to fit with. Primarily Re-Volt consists of RC-themed cars and cars designed to be like real-life cars. Although there are RC cars designed to look just like real-life cars, it would be nice if the car creator would specify.

The problem is, there are many RC tracks and few custom RC cars. There are many real-life cars but few real-life tracks.

And then there's me wasting my time developing POD-style stuff that doesn't fit with either group.

My bottom line is that cars and tracks sould be designed to fit in with a specific group of cars and tracks. Then they can be balanced to work in harmony with the other cars and tracks of that group. Tracks must be designed to accommodate a specific kind of car, and cars must be balanced against each other.

Posted: 25 Oct 2010, 03:29
Cat
RC touring cars also exist.

I think my most RC-ish cars are:

BMW M3 E36 TC (43mph)
Mercedes 190E Evolution (42mph)
Cat TC20 (45mph)
My TD6 conversions (with aerial and no interior [except for the XK180])
Heavy Savageness (43mph)
Cougar XKL-9 (45mph)
RC Leopard (42mph)
My repaints based on IronBob's cars
Fiat Uno
Fiat Panda Elettra (32mph)

May add more

I think RV-ish cars should have an aerial, don't get too far from Cougar's 43mph top speed (like some of my cars), and don't have an interior.

Posted: 25 Oct 2010, 11:13
urnemanden
Aerials is definitely what defines a RC car for me as well and often the interiors that some chooses have in their cars also too lowpoly or too badly textured for me to tell what it actually is in distance. I prefer black windows with a slightly gradient, ENV-lized body parts and axles drawed on a lowpoly cylinder. I've often been wondering as well how hard it is to imitate the wheels of the stock cars as it to me seems like it requires precision positioning in a much higher level than I am used to.
Aeon wrote: [...]
Tracks must be designed to accommodate a specific kind of car, and cars must be balanced against each other.
I think we actually got loads of tracks that could fit to many themes, just with the only issue that either the AI Nodes is terrible or the composition of the track itself is buggy.
Would you say it's more correct to upload cars together with tracks than splitting them apart like they are at RVZT?

Posted: 26 Oct 2010, 01:53
Stingox
I've never downloaded custom cars. But if I would it would either be a repaint or a car balanced enough not be better than the cars in revolt itself.
Overpowered cars with the speed of 200 km/h just doesn't fit in.

Posted: 26 Oct 2010, 02:16
MOH
id love to make a whole mod, where every car is replaced by a new one, in the stlye of revolt cars, but better ;), but i feel it would be wasted, as there are only a handful of people that appreciate the amount of work it would take.

i dont really like the idea of real cars in revolt, but its the only game i like making cars for just because of how easy it is, i mean most of my cars would be way better in games like nfs4, but the game itself sucks :P

Posted: 26 Oct 2010, 06:48
Cat
MOH @ Oct 25 2010, 05:46 PM wrote: i dont really like the idea of real cars in revolt, but its the only game i like making cars for just because of how easy it is, i mean most of my cars would be way better in games like nfs4, but the game itself sucks :P
try Midtown Madness 2, Racer Free Car Simulation (where people wants highpoly cars), or TORCS.