Page 1 of 1
Posted: 02 Oct 2010, 11:57
SkindupTruk
hello all,

i would like to announce a new RV wiki called "RVRhino" that will document the work myself and KJ have done on our Re-Volt editing in the 3d program "Rhinoceros", which we use because there is a free evaluation version available.

link is here:

RVRhino Wiki
RVRhino Wiki - Install page

*** new vids uploaded here 06/10/10 ***
RVRhino Wiki - Tutorials page

*** new pics uploaded here 05/10/10 ***
RVRhino Wiki - Research page

NOTE: All code is open source (VBS) and wiki membership is obligation free! ;) no spamming is the only condition!

to stop spammers, you have to be a logged in user to make edits, click login and request an account and either myself or KJ can approve you.

the site is still growing but there is info about the rhino tools and code, also Re-Volt levels, development, the file types, levels, cars (eventually), and anything else you'd like once you're a member really!

coming soon are animated tutorials to show how rhino can be used to import, export, create and edit Re-Volt data.

hope to see you soon - urne is our first member :)

Posted: 06 Oct 2010, 20:43
jigebren
Hi, SkindupTruk.
Just wanted to say that I hope you won't take bad the lack of feedback here for now... ;)
I personnaly don't feel like trying Rhino (I'm rather in favor of really free alternative like Blender), that's why I won't get involved in this project, but I surely support your attempt to provide an other means of creating re-volt tracks. And it's looking like you've already done some good job.
At least, I can appreciate your pics in the research page, this idea is good... and very inspiring by the way.

Posted: 07 Oct 2010, 13:31
urnemanden
I decided to use both Gmax and Rhinoceros since Rhinoceros seems to be a great tool for precision modelling while Gmax is better (and faster) at creating rough concepts. I don't know which one will become favoured at making Re-Volt tracks, I'll hang on to the manual tho and try get an insight to both of them.

Good luck with the wiki, I'll support ya for sure :)

Posted: 12 Oct 2010, 17:46
SkindupTruk
@ urne, i agree about speed vs. accuracy. i say use whatever you feel comfortable with.

@ jiggy, thx for the feedback, i was getting worried by the lack of reply, so tyvm! i can understand your preference for blender being totally OSS.

we chose Rhino because it was familiar to us for both modellling and scripting, and we thought since the evaluation is free, it's accessible to people as well, though not open source.

kj and i were just keen to get some info out there. if someone looks at the scripts and says "hey i can do this is raw C plugin for blender" go for it, that would be great! it would run fast and then be totally open source. in fact i'm going to investigate that idea myself, but it's yet another time cost for me to learn the blender system - or the gmax system (can anyone help me get started with the C API's)?! it will probably never happen... so we thought better to get what we can do and have done out there.

we'd also like to see people using the tools, maybe improving them, and just getting in there and making tracks as easily as possible. hopefully the Rhino stuff should be a start for someone out there. if you can convert to your favourite CAD, go for it, all the scripts are there to see.

if it gets people thinking about new tracks, and they can see that you can edit them in a modern CAD program, Rhino or other, that's all we're really after.

Posted: 13 Oct 2010, 06:46
jigebren
Just to clear up this point: plugins for Blender are written in Python (not in C/C++). There is no need for compilation, a text editor is enough. :)
IMO python is quite simple and pleasant to learn and use as long as you already have some programming notions (I have written my own plugin for importing Re-Volt model without having ever used python before... (I may try to finish this plugin once the next blender version will be stabilized/released)).