Page 1 of 1
Posted: 20 May 2010, 14:15
Citywalker
And another question: where are the default camera positions of cars stored? I mean the three cameras switched by F1, and specifically the "cockpit camera". All sorts of neat effects could ensue if these could be freely set per car...

Posted: 21 May 2010, 02:27
jigebren
Camera positions, like everything related to the cars that is not in the parameters.txt file, are stored directly in the exe file.

So you can't modify them. Unless you edit the binary file, of course, but first you have to find where the values are stored, which can be quite hard in some case, mostly if you don't know exactly the values.

In WolfR4, I have enabled the modification of the first camera position, but this is a per track setting. And I have no plan to add per car settings support (I you ask me why, one of the reasons is that there is only one track loaded at each time, and it's far more easy than having to deal with the list of loaded cars).

Posted: 21 May 2010, 07:54
Citywalker
Right. Then my hunch has been right, that all custom cars seemed to have roughly the same cockpit height... Well, thanks for lighting that up for me.

Posted: 25 May 2010, 05:50
jigebren
I don't know if it can help in you in any way when designing your cars, but here are the in car camera coordinates:
x: 0
y: -44
z: -20

from the source code, and I have also checked the values in the binary file. Y axis is pointing down, and Z axis is pointing forward.

Posted: 26 May 2010, 13:12
Citywalker
Thanks. But what are the in-car camera coordinates relative to?

Posted: 27 May 2010, 06:34
jigebren
Good question :) . I was wondering the same, but I'm not sure of the answer.

It's been a long time since I have created a car and played with the Offset values in the parameters.txt file, so I can't remember how the body position is set (there is the mention "Calculated in game" near the body offset, does it mean that it is always {0, 0, 0} ?). If you look at the aerial or the spinner offset, I think that they are relative to the body mesh when body mesh offset is {0, 0, 0}.
Now, I presume that the camera offset is relative to the car position just in the same way that the aerial or the spinner are...
(well, if this explaination doesn't sound clear to you, it's normal, it doesn't sound very clear to me neither).

Posted: 27 May 2010, 07:00
Adamodell
jigebren @ May 27 2010, 02:04 AM wrote: Good question :) . I was wondering the same, but I'm not sure of the answer.

It's been a long time since I have created a car and played with the Offset values in the parameters.txt file, so I can't remember how the body position is set (there is the mention "Calculated in game" near the body offset, does it mean that it is always {0, 0, 0} ?). If you look at the aerial or the spinner offset, I think that they are relative to the body mesh when body mesh offset is {0, 0, 0}.
Now, I presume that the camera offset is relative to the car position just in the same way that the aerial or the spinner are...
(well, if this explaination doesn't sound clear to you, it's normal, it doesn't sound very clear to me neither).
That's the odd part- those values are totally effective- so whatever's calculated in game isn't the position. Or it could just be an incorrect note. Also, it is very possible that the camera is somewhat CoM related, because if you lower the CoM enough the camera freaks and pulls in really close to the car.

Posted: 27 May 2010, 07:54
Citywalker
The camera position is totally CoM related. Wherever I moved the CoM, on any of the three axes, the camera shifted along. This is too bad, because this means I cannot adjust the camera position without changing vehicle physics.

Nasty.