Page 1 of 1
Posted: 28 Apr 2010, 01:18
Huki
Hey, I installed Re-Volt on Windows7, added -sli, set win98 compatibility, and ran re-volt as administrator. Also tried running in window mode. It always freezes in the middle of a game. Sometimes i can play for 20sec, sometimes i freezes even when I navigate through frontend.
I thought it might be a DirectX problem, so I updated my DirectX from Microsoft site. That didn't fix it either. So what could be wrong?

Posted: 28 Apr 2010, 11:06
urnemanden
What patch do you use? Never seen any similar problem on my own comps, but then again I don't have Win7.

Posted: 28 Apr 2010, 22:05
Huki
I tried original, patch 0916 and 1207. Mop had the same problem in Windows7, and it worked when he switched to XP. So, that means no one had ever tried Re-Volt on Windows7 yet. Who has 7 here?

Posted: 28 Apr 2010, 23:00
Adamodell
Huki @ Apr 28 2010, 05:35 PM wrote: I tried original, patch 0916 and 1207. Mop had the same problem in Windows7, and it worked when he switched to XP. So, that means no one had ever tried Re-Volt on Windows7 yet. Who has 7 here?
LeetCake (who used to be known as swordlessroy and EXTREMELY hated, less noobish now), runs Re-Volt on Win7 with no problems. Or so I thought. Thing is, he doesn't play it much any more.

Posted: 29 Apr 2010, 04:36
Huki
With Windows7 Re-Volt's stability differs in each computer. Some people tried running re-volt in 16bit colour mode and they can play more than 5 races before they freeze. And some find re-volt more stable on gamepad and crashes sooner when using keyboard. Unfortunately, none work for me.
Here, re-volt is more stable with win98 compatibility, more stable with the latest nvidia drivers for my gfx card (less stable using a previous version). And by "more stable" i mean re-volt works for atleast 15 to 20 seconds before freezing up. Sometimes, it freezes as soon as it gets to frontend.
Re-Volt is getting weirder and weirder for every new windows edition lol.
If anyone is interested, download windows7 from some torrent site and test :)

Posted: 29 Apr 2010, 10:53
zagames
I remember having SFX issues when trying to run on Vista and 7. Try adjusting your sound card settings if you get the chance before crashing.

Posted: 29 Apr 2010, 22:39
nero
Adamodell @ Apr 28 2010, 06:30 PM wrote: LeetCake (who used to be known as swordlessroy and EXTREMELY hated, less noobish now), runs Re-Volt on Win7 with no problems. Or so I thought. Thing is, he doesn't play it much any more.
!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Either way, DO NOT INSTALL WINDOWS 7. Cause if you do, then you can say hello to Mr.APPCRASH.

Posted: 30 Apr 2010, 00:04
Huki
lol, re-volt is the only problem with win7, everything works fine. No app crash. Even revolt just freezes up and i have to use task manager.

Well, strangely, i can reach the frontend even without -sli (clicking ok to display buffers error). Then it does not freeze at frontend. With -sli, it freezes in less than 10 sec. I managed to start a race in nhood1 without -sli (only once) and it didnt freeze till i finished 2 laps.

..So, i decided to patch revolt from an assembly debugger to bypass the display buffers error, then i started revolt without -sli. There were no visuals (black screen). But by hearing the sound, i could navigate through frontend and start race. I reached nhood1 (again no visuals), i heard the cars, environment sounds, everything for almost 2 minutes (that means no freeze). Then it froze up :/

How the hell does it work for Leetkake. How long did he stay ingame?

Posted: 30 Apr 2010, 04:32
Adamodell
Nero, you act like a 2 year old.
End rant.

Posted: 01 May 2010, 12:59
nero
Adamodell @ Apr 30 2010, 12:02 AM wrote: Nero, you act like a 2 year old.
End rant.
I'm telling you a fact, and not acting like a 2 year old, thank you.
Any minute now i'll see an essay, as usual.

Posted: 01 May 2010, 13:44
Huki
lol, anyway, i think microsoft just removed sli support in windows7.
I thought it is better to run re-volt on xp. So, i installed VMware Workstation :). Re-Volt does a fair 35fps at 640x480 windowed mode in virtual xp. That must be enough till someone fixes re-volt on win7 (that might take 10 more years :P). Now to figure out how to play online from virtual xp...

Posted: 04 May 2010, 11:57
Huki
zagames @ Apr 29 2010, 06:23 AM wrote: I remember having SFX issues when trying to run on Vista and 7. Try adjusting your sound card settings if you get the chance before crashing.
This is unbelievable. I kept this as a last resort. Wow. I just add -nosound commandline and Voila! It works... pfff... I need to take a deep breath and try to put things together so they make some sense. Sound freezes the graphics.. hmm....

Posted: 04 May 2010, 17:58
urnemanden
Perhaps -no3Dsound does the job just as well?

Posted: 05 May 2010, 00:03
Huki
no i tried that. Only -nosound works. I uninstalled the realtek sound drivers and then re-volt works without -nosound. Weird..

Posted: 19 May 2010, 22:18
xyz
Re-Volt does a fair 35fps at 640x480 windowed mode
I run it on Vista with -sli and -window and it does 225fps
without -window 400fps (YES, 400, not 40)

Posted: 20 May 2010, 03:40
Huki
Re-Volt does a fair 35fps at 640x480 windowed mode in virtual xp
lol xyz. I mean it ran at 35fps in a xp virtual machine VMWare Workstation, not in my real pc!

In any decent pc it would run at your screen's refresh rate. If your revolt is doing 400fps you have vsync disabled.

Anyway, the problem was solved 2 weeks ago after i updated the mss32.dll.
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Our_ReVolt_P ... topic=1418