Page 1 of 1
Posted: 31 Dec 2005, 22:48
Hans34
Hi @all!
I was playing Revolt for over a year before I found this great Site!
I've got no idea how to build Revolt-tracks but I imagine it's quite difficult. (I'll try to learn how to design such great tracks).

However, I wanted to ask if someone knows Myst (3,4,5), Riven or Uru. I think it'd be great to drive through one of the ages of Atrus. So if someone wonders how to fill out his laizure time he could design a track that looks like one of those great ages in a Myst-game.

Posted: 02 Jan 2006, 20:58
human
hey hans34,
yes, its true, creating a track for revolt is not the easiest thing on the world, however to make a map (called world file in revolt) or make maps look like the myst world is only a question of spare time. but you have to know that this game cannot run such detailed and well textured world files like a riven or myst map. the engine of the game is too old for big texture files and detailed models, there is a limit for faces (polygons) you are allowed to set maximum 16.000 polygons on a track, which is a very low number when we are talking about 3D creation. (however you can create more polys, but they will be ignored by the engine, you cannot hit them, they dont have collision data, therefor they cannot be on the way where you are racing, they are for the design only. but the theres a limit for this type of polys too :). and there is a limit for the textures, you can use only 10 bmp files, sized to 256x256 pixels. this is extremely little in 3D creation. it would be nice if programmers could find the way how to improve the game to receive more complex tracks.
as for venice which you commented on another site: i agree, venice is one of the best existing tracks! if you are interested in the other tracks of it's creator, download and check quake and petrovolt too from that site. all the three tracks are creations of a hungarian fellow named Gabor, and they are absolutely worthy to be in the top 10.

Posted: 03 Jan 2006, 01:17
Hans34
Hey human,
thanks for your reply. I thought you would tell me that it is impossible to imitate the graphics of Myst or Riven. Let's say it was a nice try. :)
But do you really think it is impossible to create a Re-Volt track with elements of Myst? I think everyone would accept that the texture is less spectacular in Re-Volt.
If you put out one puzzle of an age, could it be possible to create a revolt-track? (For example we just take the first part of the great marble-puzzle of Amateria in Myst III).
Ok, I must admit I'm a bit weird. ;)
But if I take a look at tracks like "Revolt Temple" or "Venice" I almost believe everything is possible. :)

Posted: 04 Jan 2006, 02:45
human
hey hans34,
what do you mean by saying " elements of myst"? are you referring to an exact 3D model of a map or just to the style to copy to another model? ( i dont know any software which is used for the first mentioned purpose). Of course we can catch the style and create myst-like models, terrain, buildings, etc., but i think we cannot detach 3D elements from an existing map. (unless we dont have a special util for this action) im afraid if we make a track "looks like" a myst map it will not give the feeling of the original one, because the differencies beetween the two game's graphical and other capabilities.
greetings,
ps. aren't you from hungary? im allways looking for hungarian revolt-friends :)

Posted: 05 Jan 2006, 16:47
Hans34
I know it's impossible to create a 3D environement. I just thought you could "render" some screenshots of Myst (III) into "re-volt graphics".
Imagine you could race from the clock on MYST-Island to the library and back....

I'm sorry, but I'm not from Hungary. :)

Posted: 05 Jan 2006, 17:47
human
hey hans34,
sorry, rendering a texture doesnt work. you must build up a world to use it as a track.
dont you want to race online, hans? there is a pretty gang playing online every night on gamespy server...

Posted: 05 Jan 2006, 21:10
Hans34
Ok, I'll try to get in :-)