Page 1 of 1
Posted: 18 Feb 2010, 07:59
Cat
Do you have the nightmare of that you will be never going to play a certain old game again because of Windows XP? (eg: the first Need For Speed)
A Windows 98 emulator should be cool (like DOSbox, but this one just open dos compatible programs).

Posted: 18 Feb 2010, 08:37
jigebren
Well, it think it was the purpose of windows 95/98 compatibility mode. But it's quite a shame to see that the same company who release these OSess can't provide a sufficient/good enough emulator, and that we have to count on volunteers to do this. Like for the VDM sound emulation, if I remember well.

Maybe with a virtual machine, but it will be so slow...

Posted: 18 Feb 2010, 09:18
Adamodell
jigebren @ Feb 18 2010, 04:07 AM wrote: Well, it think it was the purpose of windows 95/98 compatibility mode. But it's quite a shame to see that the same company who release these OSess can't provide a sufficient/good enough emulator, and that we have to count on volunteers to do this. Like for the VDM sound emulation, if I remember well.

Maybe with a virtual machine, but it will be so slow...
Sun's working on getting their hardware acceleration up to par in VM environments.
Emulating operating systems is stupid when they use the same processor architecture- the whole purpose of an emulator is to convert processor code. So, "nail on the head" with using a VM. Regardless... no VM I know of is very well suited for any pre-NT Windows builds.

The first NFS was made in the early 90's, right? Linux programs wrote in the 90's won't even RUN on the modern kernel, the open sourcing and lack of standardization makes compatibility a bitch on it. Luckily the kernel has stabilized, and most programs have had new versions recompiled for it.

At least you can still run many old 16-bit programs on a Windows made 15 years later. Well, unless you're like me... where you have a 64-bit system.

Posted: 19 Feb 2010, 02:27
chriselston
It depends on the game coding, such as the resources that the game uses. Can you take a screen shot of what files the first game uses?

Or you don't even have it yet? :blink:

Well, it's all on the resources. There are a couple of games on DOSbox that kill the program's emulation techniques so bad, that it crashes the application (DOSbox itself) when attempting to launch the application file. If you have Windows 7 or Windows Vista (in which this case you have Windows XP), I can now officially say that you are defiantly screwed over. :banghead:

Windows XP has THE ABSOLUTE BEST compatibility to this date. Of course, this is only my opinion, so there is no need to start an OS fight. <_< A couple of games that I tried don't work, so I just leave it at that. Depending on your PC, you can Multi-Boot into a second HDD partition, which can contain Windows 95, Windows 98 (Win98SE is preferred over the older version, for obvious reasons), or just MS-DOS itself. However, this varies on the age of your computer. Some older machines can do this, accordingly to the BIOS and whatnot.

Posted: 19 Feb 2010, 02:36
chriselston
Double posting is BAAAAD. Oh well

It wasn't designed for ReVolt par say with VPC emulation. And I am not an idiot for such a silly observation.