Page 1 of 1
Posted: 31 Jan 2010, 08:35
jigebren
Sorry if I'm creating a lot of topics these last days, but I'm currently trying a lot of things, that's why... ;)

I noticed that when you deactivate the win98 compatibility mode under winXP, the levels (including frontend) loading is quite slower, and a bit choppy, like if it hangs on sometimes.

I think it's due to strange choice from the revolt developers, and I may have found something to correct this, so I'd like to know 2 things:

- Do some of you have already noticed the same slowdown on level loading when compatibility mode is deactivated?

- Do you think there is an interest in correcting stuffs that appear only when compatibility mode is deactivated?

PD: please don't forget to report your OS.

Posted: 31 Jan 2010, 10:15
zipperrulez
I am using windows XP service pack 3, and I do indeed see the increased loading times, some taking almost up to a minute! :o
I generally use windows 95 compatibility mode, but i see no difference in it than with 98.
As for a patch for this, (I hope I read your second question correctly.) I personally do not think it's needed, because there is a simple fix to the problem.
Regards,
ZR

Posted: 31 Jan 2010, 13:20
urnemanden
My opinion would have been pretty much the same if it wasn't because the Win98 compatibilty mode makes me unable to launch Re-Volt at any higher resolution than 1280x1024. So personally I would think that it would be great if you could fix thoose problems, even though I only run in higher resolution when I am borrowing Cron94's TV.

Oh btw, how does the online racers launch Re-Volt with Windows98 compatibility mode, if RV House launches through Direct Play? Could that be the reason to the many crashes often seen when playing online?

Again, maybe the crashes doesn't have anything to do with Win98 compatibility mode since you don't need a shortcut to launch revolt with Win98 compatibility mode unlike the -sli command.

EDIT: I just tested the slow-down loading that you are mentioning, but as it seems right now, the compatibilty mode doesn't affect the loading process at all here (at least not when loading the frontend).

Posted: 31 Jan 2010, 17:48
arto
urnemanden @ Jan 31 2010, 08:50 AM wrote: Oh btw, how does the online racers launch Re-Volt with Windows98 compatibility mode, if RV House launches through Direct Play? Could that be the reason to the many crashes often seen when playing online?
Seems like launching through DirectPlay can take into account the exe's compatilibyt mode setting.