Page 1 of 1
Posted: 27 Jan 2010, 10:39
jigebren
This topic is following a discussion in the topic: 'Differences Between Patch 0916 And 1207?'.
kay wrote:Ps: there is a hidden code (blinded, disabled) in Re-Volt about replay saving/loading, can you please see it? (I have no ASM knowledge sad.gif )
me wrote:I will add the replay saving/loading stuff on my TODO list. Is this functionality has been seen working in any version? (I have doubts about this, but just to be sure).
urne wrote:About the loading/saving function of replays, I still have a few .rpl files that might help you Jig (They are from when I used Phoenix R3). The loading/saving function works both online and offline, btw.
me wrote: Can you tell me more about the .rpl files. Is it enough to have some .rpl files to activate the loading function? Or are you talking just about phoenix stuff?
urne wrote:Here's some information related to the rpl files and the replay function in Re-Volt.

Technically
All rpl files is exactly 1MB and they seem to contain information about the choosen track and how you and the AI nodes drove. When the 1MB limit has been reached, Re-Volt will stop the replay, just like when you press "View Replay" after driving 20 laps on nhood1 for example.
When saving/loading a .rpl file, it has to be named "Replay.rpl" and has to be stored aside to the revolt.exe itself.

Download
Summerfest Replay.rpl
Replay.rpl

Playing
The rpl files is only playable if you have the track and the cars used in the saved replay. Summerfest Replay.rpl requires that you download Summer Fest by RickyD & hilaire9 while I have no idea which track I played when Re-Volt saved the replay.rpl.

When I had Phoenix I was able to save replays in all modes if I remember correctly.
Also, I only tried loading and/or saving .rpl files using Phoenix R3, so who knows if rst might have done some changes to the way Re-Volt work with rpl files.
me wrote:Ok, thanks for the nice info and the files, urne.

I took a quick look at it yesterday, and it seems that the code to support replay is present, at least in the 1207 version, but is never called (looks like it has something has been deactivated).

For now, I haven't got a clue about how to reactivate the menu entry for the replay. I hope I will find it (but the replay stuff is probably not the first thing I will concentrate on).

If I understand well, we can only have 1 rpl file at the same time. It's not 1 rpl file by track, right? And it is not saved automatically, you have to choose it in a menu?
Didn't want to sleep too soon that night, so I tried to do something with the replay file that urnemanden provided me (notice: the unknown Replay.rpl is from the track 'Dali').

The good thing is that I was able to play it. All the code is allready present in the exe, as I believe it is also used by the -gamegauge command line option.
But now, the hard thing is to find a way to add the proper entries in the menu. And for that, I still have no idea about how to proceed...

Posted: 28 Jan 2010, 19:42
jigebren
While trying to find a way to reactivate the replay saving/loading, I discovered a hidden stuff about a DEV version (in version 1207). Besides allowing replay saving/loading, it allows a funny function that maybe was used to calculate cars stats.

Each stock car is tested by revolt (to get max speed, etc), and I think there was a possibility to save the result. Not sure it still works.

Does anybody have already heard about that?

It's seems interesting, but I have to find a little bit less 'heavy' method to just enable replay saving/loading...

Posted: 29 Jan 2010, 01:50
urnemanden
Nice results jigebren. I have personally never seen that before, but it could be interesting to know if we might be able to use it for something. When are you planning to implement theese new discoveries in your patch, so we might test them out?

Posted: 29 Jan 2010, 03:35
jigebren
I'm not sure I will implement this particular feature. It may have been deactivated for a good reason.
But I hope that in something like a week, I will be able to start working again on development. For now, I'm just doing this tests when I make a break in my work.

I'd like to plan quite nicely my goals and the methods I will use before starting, but I still can't manage to make it clear in my mind, everything is a bit mixed-up... And I hope this project won't be too big for me.

Posted: 29 Jan 2010, 12:33
urnemanden
It is indeed a quite big project for one person, I would wish we could get help elsewhere. I have a topic almost ready to post on GameDev.net related to Re-Volt, so we might be able to attract a programmer or similar to our community. :)

Posted: 29 Jan 2010, 19:03
jigebren
It would be nice to have here a skilled programmer. But the fact that I don't use c++ language won't help (for sharing, etc). I wish I know c++... :(
And I believe it will be hard to find a motivated one that is not already a revolt lover.

Posted: 29 Jan 2010, 19:06
miromiro

Posted: 29 Jan 2010, 22:56
arto
I know a little bit C and C++, I can help if there's stuff relating to them. Of course my time is quite limited, so it may take a while :(.

Posted: 23 Feb 2010, 13:15
antimorph
If I remember correctly this is mentioned in chapter 9.3

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=dHXS ... lo&f=false

or http://tinyurl.com/yh56sza

9.1 & 9.2 are quite interesting too :D

Posted: 24 Feb 2010, 04:30
jigebren
antimorph @ Feb 23 2010, 08:45 AM wrote:If I remember correctly this is mentioned in chapter 9.3
What I was relating here is not really linked to AI, but just seems to be a procedure to estimate the max speed and acceleration of each cars.
Anyhow, I don't know how you know this book, but this article written by gari biasillo (!) should contain interesting informations about AI. Unfortunately, the browsing of the book is quite limited, and I'm not going to buy it...

Posted: 24 Feb 2010, 04:45
antimorph
I have the book, those three chapters are the only ones written by Gari Biasillo. He writes in those about several functions related to the AIs training that are unfamiliar to us and so it's possible there is more in this area to find. It sounds as though you understand the limits of the function you've found which is good.

Posted: 24 Feb 2010, 21:16
Manmountain
jigebren @ Jan 28 2010, 03:12 PM wrote:... it allows a funny function that maybe was used to calculate cars stats.

Each stock car is tested by revolt (to get max speed, etc), and I think there was a possibility to save the result. Not sure it still works.
Did you manage to get any sort of saved output or data relating to this or is it not a priority at this moment in development ?
Is it something anyone could activate or do we need to be editing the exe ?

Posted: 24 Feb 2010, 22:31
jigebren
Manmountain @ Feb 24 2010, 04:46 PM wrote:
jigebren @ Jan 28 2010, 03:12 PM wrote:... it allows a funny function that maybe was used to calculate cars stats.

Did you manage to get any sort of saved output or data relating to this or is it not a priority at this moment in development ?
I have not tested it yet (it's not a priority for now), but there is hope it's still working. Not absolutely sure, but it seems that there is still eveything needed to saved the result in parameters files.
Is it something anyone could activate or do we need to be editing the exe ?
Editing exe is needed.