Page 1 of 1
Posted: 23 Jan 2010, 07:28
jigebren
<UPDATED>
I try to resume here what is currently known, the original post is following. Thanks all for your contibutions:

The DEV version:

The dev that urne has mentioned, and has a lot of stuffs such as mp3 playing, ghost car, edit mode always open,all tracks -> edit mode, all tracks -> battle tag etc...

Demo version:

demos - there were 2 different versions released. The 1st, in July 1999, was generally available - I got it from a magazine cover disc. The 2nd I know nothing about, but I believe it was downloadable from 'Gamespot"(?), and came with a new version of 'Aquasonic' in Gamespot colours. This had remapped sides, so that it could have side logos. This was probably done by Acclaim.

v1.0

?

v1.10 '0916': 17-September-1999

Fixes and Additions

* Command line switch -sli fixes Voodoo SLI problems.
* Can now select user tracks in multiplayer - run UpdateTrack.exe in editor folder to convert old user tracks to new format.
* Track editor tracks can now be exported double size - select "yes" on export when queried. Tracks exported this way will have "double" on the end of their name when viewed in the game.
* Track editor now defaults to 2nd card if available (fixes bug with Voodoo cards)
* Added command line switch -nomip for graphics cards that can't handle mip map levels.
* Now remembers filter and mip map settings between front end and main game.
* Misc. other minor bugs fixed.

v1.10 '1207': 07-December-1999

The last patch for the game. 0906 was an official patch, available from the Acclaim site, 1207 was not. It was once thought to be official, but it was never available from Acclaim.

Changes:
- This patch totally disable the play of the music tracks located in the CD-Rom
- Also the patch come with the file 'prm2ncp.exe' that allow to the track makers to create a collision data from an instance file.
- This patch add to the game 3D sound capabilities using different and embed drivers such as EAX, Aureal 3D, etc.
- The patch remove the requeriment to the original CD-Rom to be on the drive to be allowed to play.

Other infos:
Some said that you can select language in the demo version, v1.0 give a choice of language every time RV is started, and v 1.10 only gives you a choice 1st time you play. Not verified.

</UPDATED>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original post:

I'm currently planning to maybe develop (in a few weeks) a tool for revolt that would synthesize the different stuffs I'm was working on.
When I say maybe, I mean I can't promise I will have the time, and I can not be sure I will be able to achive it (may I add that considering to the lack of activity of the forum in the 3 last days makes me wonder if it really worth the pain. :( )

What I plan to support in this tool (for now):
-the 512 patch
-tweak the number of mipmapping levels (if it appears to be useful)
-texture in png format (if it works correctly)
-screen ratio correction when non 4:3 (far from being done)
-correct the bug that appears sometime when loading nhood1 without the compatibility mode set.
-perhaps some little tweaks, like shortening the intro image delay, etc.

And perhaps (!) a new stuff to allow the creation of more customized tracks (allowing the models/wavs/skymaps to be changed by track makers). :)

But I want to know the clear differences between versions with patch 0916 and 1207 (maybe original version too).
Consider that if there is not a good reason to support the 0916, it just won't do it.

So if you know any difference between the revolt version, please report it here (but please don't say: "Version ??? is more buggy than ???", as I'd like to know more precisely what bug).

For now I just know about the cd check and the cd music deactivated.
But I think that if some of you still use version 0916, it's not just for the pleasure to be required to have the cd inserted (and that boring techno music)...

Posted: 23 Jan 2010, 10:34
zipperrulez
This forum just isn't active. Hell, Re-Volt isn't all that active to begin with.
I see no difference from 1207 to 0916 at all sorry dude.
However your patching project looks good, keep it up.
If it isn't too much to ask, can you patch the game so that the number of cars defaults to 12? I know I like more cars to race against, as well as some of the other members do. (Aeon comes to mind for some reason.)

Posted: 23 Jan 2010, 12:14
zagames
Jiggy, since you're relatively new, let me explain this. RVZT and ORP are stuck in a never-ending cycle. Every year is is exactly the same. A lot of people show up around the end of the year. When school starts back up, everyone gets busy and never posts. Depending on the weather, people usually come back and we get busy again around juny/july. Then as school starts again, the community leaves. Next is the new year and everyone shows up. It's pretty consistent really. But for some reason, everyone is here or noone is here (except the few addicts like myself, zipper, hilaire, etc...) Rest assured, everyone will come back eventually. lol. I usually continue to work on tracks, that way when everyone shows back up, I can release it as a surprise. Anyways, keep up the work. It will work out.

Posted: 23 Jan 2010, 15:03
miromiro
Neck!
I wouldn't leave or forget the Re-Volt community for the dam* school.
About the patches... no difference. Only different numbers.

Posted: 23 Jan 2010, 17:07
urnemanden

1207 supports EAX and 3D Sound - 1906 seem not to. And this is another reason to that I use 1906. I often had problems with my sound card because of this.

I hope you decide to stay around too, jig. =)

Posted: 23 Jan 2010, 18:31
sjampo
v1.10 '0916': 17-September-1999

Fixes and Additions

* Command line switch -sli fixes Voodoo SLI problems.
* Can now select user tracks in multiplayer - run UpdateTrack.exe in editor folder to convert old user tracks to new format.
* Track editor tracks can now be exported double size - select "yes" on export when queried. Tracks exported this way will have "double" on the end of their name when viewed in the game.
* Track editor now defaults to 2nd card if available (fixes bug with Voodoo cards)
* Added command line switch -nomip for graphics cards that can't handle mip map levels.
* Now remembers filter and mip map settings between front end and main game.
* Misc. other minor bugs fixed.

v1.10 '1207': 07-December-1999

The last patch for the game.

Changes:
- This patch totally disable the play of the music tracks located in the CD-Rom
- Also the patch come with the file 'prm2ncp.exe' that allow to the track makers to create a collision data from an instance file.
- This patch add to the game 3D sound capabilities using different and embed drivers such as EAX, Aureal 3D, etc.
- The patch remove the requeriment to the original CD-Rom to be on the drive to be allowed to play.

Posted: 23 Jan 2010, 21:51
Adamodell
I will always use 1207 and I believe the 1207 instability is just a conspiracy.
The differences with 1207 are tiny.
As for the stake of this community, I think it's getting less mature rather than more mature over the years (even if in terms of longevity I am a noob), but Zach hit the nail on the head about when they all come and go.

Haha, you flamed RV's soundtrack? That's pretty lame, seeing it's one of the best and most flavorful soundtracks I've heard from that time period. And I'm a metalhead too- and I hate most electronic. Now if you want crappy music- look at RC Revenge. *cough*

Posted: 24 Jan 2010, 00:16
jigebren
zipperrulez wrote:If it isn't too much to ask, can you patch the game so that the number of cars defaults to 12? I know I like more cars to race against, as well as some of the other members do.
Perhaps possible, it's on my TODO list, but not at first place. Anyway, it's still a bit soon for request. ;)

@zagames
Thanks for the explanation. I will try to remember the full cycle stuff (like in JCVD's interview). :D
urnemanden wrote:1207 supports EAX and 3D Sound - 1906 seem not to. And this is another reason to that I use 1906. I often had problems with my sound card because of this.
I believe it's more a lack of feature willingly introduced by Vista's 5hit than really an audio card bug (audio hardware support has been removed, EAX too, etc).
So you have bug with revolt 1207? Even if you deactivate 3D Audio in revolt? Have you test with the various options (Aureal, direct sound, no EAX)?

@Adamodell
You like revolt music :blink: I can't believe it. When I try the 0916 version, and I hear the intro, I have to cut the sound after 15 seconds... So I didn't listen a lot the others. And I love a lot of game musics (but I prefer good old fully electronic ones). Never have tried RC revenge...
Adamodell wrote:I will always use 1207 and I believe the 1207 instability is just a conspiracy.
I'm wondering the same, that's why I want some objective reports about 1207 bug(s).

Does anybody remember in which version we could select the language? In first version, in demo?
And is there any version where we can see the ghost car enabled?

Posted: 24 Jan 2010, 00:33
urnemanden
Jig wrote:Does anybody remember in which version we could select the language? In first version, in demo?
And is there any version where we can see the ghost car enabled?
If I remember right you can select language in the demo version and in the 1.0 version.

The ghost car is only enabled in the Demo version (might be DEV aswell). Phoenix R3 enables it, tho.

Posted: 24 Jan 2010, 00:42
jigebren
I have to try the demo version, just for fun.
Where does the DEV come from, and can it be found somewhere?

<joking mode> Same question for Phoenix R3 </joking mode> :lol:

Posted: 24 Jan 2010, 03:40
jigebren
Just a clue for those who find that version 1207 has more sound issues than 0916 (because of EAX, etc).
Can you please try these 2 command line parameters:
-no3dsound
-noeax

and report here if there is a difference or not (including in the report the audio options you have used in revolt). Thanks.

Posted: 24 Jan 2010, 03:49
urnemanden
I can't help you testing on this one. The issue I had with my sound card was due to the drivers which for some reason made all the sound in Re-Volt lack. I've fixed that by uninstalling them, which was pretty hard because of all the following software and such. The drivers worked fine with version 1.00 if I remember correctly, tho.

Posted: 24 Jan 2010, 04:00
jigebren
Sorry to insist, urne ;) , it's just that I didn't understand the reason why you can't help on this stuff.
You have a working 0916, and if you try with 1207, it don't work, right? That's the reason why you use 0916.
So forgetting about the drivers, etc, why can't you try a 1207 with parameters to see if it can work too? (you can use a second revolt directory not to mess with your working one).

Posted: 24 Jan 2010, 04:56
urnemanden
If 1207 didn't work on my system I would not be able to take those that picture you see above (Sorry for confusing you).

To make things more clear: 2 years ago I bought an external sound card to use with my 5.1 system. Installing the drivers required 3 restarts and finally when I had everything working, the sound in Re-Volt began lacking. Rst told me it probably was the sound drivers and told me to use 1.0 to prevent the lack - and that worked just fine.
A half year later I bought my laptop, which had Vista 64bit installed. Unfortunately the drivers didn't go with Vista, but luckily I figured out how to come around installing those drivers causing the sound lacking. I was now able to use 1207 - I used it until I bought my first 2 Re-Volt CD's in October 2008. The reason to that I still use 0916 is because of the music & the now 4 Re-Volt CD's standing on my shelf.

Anyways, I tested out the 2 parameters. Here is the results:

-noeax
Re-Volt frontend loaded just fine, EAX was turned off, but that is pretty much a default so it might not have any affection.

-nodirect3D
Re-Volt launched just fine, but the Direct3D was still turned on when I check the audio settings.

Posted: 24 Jan 2010, 09:10
jigebren
@urnemanden
Ok. Thanks for the explanation as I really didn't understood things that way.

So you just use 0916 because of the music? That's all. Else you don't see no other differences with 1207?

I think you know that there is a way to have music in the 1207 version (with the _inmm.dll method). You're not interested by it?

The reason why I insist so much on this 1207 version is that it is very likelihood that I won't support the 0916 when develloping that tool I talked about (if I ever do it). And I don't want to loose a good beta tester. ;)

Posted: 24 Jan 2010, 09:13
jigebren
Another thing. I tried the demo version. Funny to see that the a ghost car is present. I think nobody know why it has been deactivated afterwards?

And, urne, you didn't answer me about the DEV version.

And last, I didn't find a version where we can set the language. It doesn't really matter, as it's not a very important thing, but I think I remember having set this in the past...

Posted: 24 Jan 2010, 19:16
arto
jigebren @ Jan 24 2010, 04:43 AM wrote: Another thing. I tried the demo version. Funny to see that the a ghost car is present. I think nobody know why it has been deactivated afterwards?
Legal reasons. The ghost thing was patented by some other game, Need for Speed if I remember correctly.

Posted: 24 Jan 2010, 19:25
jigebren
:blink:
Thanks, arto. I would never have been able to imagine that sort of reason. I was thinking about a technical issue...

Posted: 24 Jan 2010, 20:57
urnemanden
Jig wrote:So you just use 0916 because of the music? That's all. Else you don't see no other differences with 1207?
Not other differences with the exception of the bigger amount of crashes I got in the past using it on my new as well as old computer, while playing online. I have no documentation on that, tho.

Jig wrote: I think you know that there is a way to have music in the 1207 version (with the _inmm.dll method). You're not interested by it?
I am, but according to the comments I've read about it, it doesn't use redbook, doesn't play the music in any high quality (undocumented) and then I never really had anything against using the 1906 - it's like a proof that I actually own a CD, =P.

Jig wrote:The reason why I insist so much on this 1207 version is that it is very likelihood that I won't support the 0916 when developing that tool I talked about (if I ever do it). And I don't want to loose a good beta tester. ;)
Thanks for the kind words, I don't want to be any obstacle in the 512patch's developement and as I got like 7-8 versions of Re-Volt somewhere on my laptop, I can always test things out in the 1207 version. But when making tracks (and playing tracks as well) I probably still will use the 512patched 0916 as long as I cann't have the same benefits from 1207.
Jig wrote:Where does the DEV come from, and can it be found somewhere?
Kay would most likely be the best to answer that - I got it from him. =)

Posted: 24 Jan 2010, 21:11
KDL
http://revolt.net76.net/rvdev/

the dev that urne has mentioned, and has a lot of stuffs such as mp3 playing, ghost car, edit mode always open,all tracks -> edit mode, all tracks -> battle tag etc...

I got it from my dad's friend as a present (réussite)

hoping it can help you

_

Ps: there is a hidden code (blinded, disabled) in Re-Volt about replay saving/loading, can you please see it? (I have no ASM knowledge :( )

Posted: 24 Jan 2010, 23:41
jigebren
@urnemanden
I didn't know about the quality degradation of the _inmm.dll method, but I have never tried it.

So you suggest it is possible that version 1207 could be more buggy when it comes to play online.

@KDL
Merci beaucoup for this file, Kay.
I will add the replay saving/loading stuff on my TODO list. Is this functionality has been seen working in any version? (I have doubts about this, but just to be sure).

Posted: 25 Jan 2010, 18:35
urnemanden
Jig wrote:So you suggest it is possible that version 1207 could be more buggy when it comes to play online.
Yes, but this could also be because I might haven't applied Windows 98 compatibility earlier, because I thought it wasn't needed when using Windows Vista. The problem might fix itself, hopefully. Might be a stupid question to ask, but do you own a working Re-Volt CD yourself, btw?

About the loading/saving function of replays, I still have a few .rpl files that might help you Jig (They are from when I used Phoenix R3). The loading/saving function works both online and offline, btw.

Posted: 25 Jan 2010, 18:48
jigebren
unrnemanden wrote:do you own a working Re-Volt CD yourself, btw?
Are you from the rst milita? ;)
Yes, I have a working revolt CD, else I could not have tried the 0916 version (but as they is no NOCD patch for the 0916 AFAIK, I'm bored to have the cd in my computer's tray).

Can you tell me more about the .rpl files. Is it enough to have some .rpl files to activate the loading function? Or are you talking just about phoenix stuff?

Posted: 25 Jan 2010, 19:28
urnemanden
Jig wrote:Are you from the rst milita? ;)
Yes, I have a working revolt CD, else I could not have tried the 0916 version (but as they is no NOCD patch for the 0916 AFAIK, I'm bored to have the cd in my computer's tray).

Can you tell me more about the .rpl files. Is it enough to have some .rpl files to activate the loading function? Or are you talking just about phoenix stuff?
Lol, no I ain't - I was just asking out of curiosity :)

Here's some information related to the rpl files and the replay function in Re-Volt.

Technically
All rpl files is exactly 1MB and they seem to contain information about the choosen track and how you and the AI nodes drove. When the 1MB limit has been reached, Re-Volt will stop the replay, just like when you press "View Replay" after driving 20 laps on nhood1 for example.
When saving/loading a .rpl file, it has to be named "Replay.rpl" and has to be stored aside to the revolt.exe itself.

Download
Summerfest Replay.rpl
Replay.rpl

Playing
The rpl files is only playable if you have the track and the cars used in the saved replay. Summerfest Replay.rpl requires that you download Summer Fest by RickyD & hilaire9 while I have no idea which track I played when Re-Volt saved the replay.rpl.

When I had Phoenix I was able to save replays in all modes if I remember correctly.
Also, I only tried loading and/or saving .rpl files using Phoenix R3, so who knows if rst might have done some changes to the way Re-Volt work with rpl files.

Posted: 25 Jan 2010, 19:37
jigebren
Ok, thanks for the nice info and the files, urne.

I took a quick look at it yesterday, and it seems that the code to support replay is present, at least in the 1207 version, but is never called (looks like it has something has been deactivated).

For now, I haven't got a clue about how to reactivate the menu entry for the replay. I hope I will find it (but the replay stuff is probably not the first thing I will concentrate on).

If I understand well, we can only have 1 rpl file at the same time. It's not 1 rpl file by track, right? And it is not saved automatically, you have to choose it in a menu?

Posted: 25 Jan 2010, 23:04
GWC
re the patches - 0906 was an official patch, available from the Acclaim site; 1207 was not! It was once thought to be official, but it was never available from Acclaim. It is unlikely that Acclaim would officially issue a 'noCD' patch.

At the time there was considerable discussion on the old Racers Point forum, about the benefits of both patches, and there was a reason why I decided not to bother with 1207, but I don't remember the arguments - it was 10 years ago!

re language - v 1.0 gave a choice of language every time RV was started; v 1.10 only gives you a choice 1st time you play.

re demos - there were 2 different versions released. The 1st, in July 1999, was generally available - I got it from a magazine cover disc. The 2nd I know nothing about, but I believe it was downloadable from 'Gamespot"(?), and came with a new version of 'Aquasonic' in Gamespot colours. This had remapped sides, so that it could have side logos. This was probably done by Acclaim.

Incidentally, there are at least 2 different CDs. The 1st was released in September 1999 and was a full price game. The 2nd was a 'bargain' game published about a year later, this is also v 1.0.

In the USA, I believe car 'NY 54' has a different name, so there must be at least 1 other CD.

Geoff

Posted: 25 Jan 2010, 23:45
jigebren
Nice clear and complete answer. Thanks, Geoff.

It's hard to believe that 1207 was not done by Acclaim, because it's clearly a re-compiled from the source version, not just a patched version. But perhaps they did not release it officialy. Sure that the NOCD coming from acclaim sounds strange anyhow.
GWC wrote:At the time there was considerable discussion on the old Racers Point forum, about the benefits of both patches, and there was a reason why I decided not to bother with 1207, but I don't remember the arguments - it was 10 years ago!
I you ever remember other stuff (even minor), don't hesitate to report. Too bad all these informations get lost.

For the language choice, I tried once to reinstal from the cd, but I didn't remember if I was asked for it. But I made too much different thing lately, and my memory get mixed up.

For the demos, I have one on a cd (I didn't know why I keep it, now I know), I will try to see if it's the same than those found on internet.

Posted: 26 Jan 2010, 00:07
urnemanden
Geoff wrote:Incidentally, there are at least 2 different CDs. The 1st was released in September 1999 and was a full price game. The 2nd was a 'bargain' game published about a year later, this is also v 1.0.
The one that was sold one year later was in black, correct?

Posted: 26 Jan 2010, 00:30
GWC
Jig, in the early days, some of the development team used to post on the forum (including Nick Baines) and I often wonder how much they contributed to RV knowledge - especially MAKEITGOOD - so it could have had been 'un-official'!
Unfortunately, I missed the real early days, as I didn't join until 2000, April, I believe.

The old forum was saved. It was intended to be re-instated on RVA. But, after several changes of ownership, it never happened. Someone, somewhere. may still have it. This all happened about the time I was ill, and stopped visiting the chatroom, dropping to the RV sidelines. It was also when I stopped making tracks and repainting cars.

Also, all the cars and tracks on the old RHQ site were saved by Antimorph, for re-installing elsewhere. The tracks eventually went to RVZT, but the cars are (were!) still with Morph.

Geoff

Posted: 26 Jan 2010, 05:09
Adamodell
urnemanden @ Jan 24 2010, 04:27 PM wrote:
Jig wrote:So you just use 0916 because of the music? That's all. Else you don't see no other differences with 1207?
Not other differences with the exception of the bigger amount of crashes I got in the past using it on my new as well as old computer, while playing online. I have no documentation on that, tho.

Jig wrote: I think you know that there is a way to have music in the 1207 version (with the _inmm.dll method). You're not interested by it?
I am, but according to the comments I've read about it, it doesn't use redbook, doesn't play the music in any high quality (undocumented) and then I never really had anything against using the 1906 - it's like a proof that I actually own a CD, =P.

Jig wrote:The reason why I insist so much on this 1207 version is that it is very likelihood that I won't support the 0916 when developing that tool I talked about (if I ever do it). And I don't want to loose a good beta tester. ;)
Thanks for the kind words, I don't want to be any obstacle in the 512patch's developement and as I got like 7-8 versions of Re-Volt somewhere on my laptop, I can always test things out in the 1207 version. But when making tracks (and playing tracks as well) I probably still will use the 512patched 0916 as long as I cann't have the same benefits from 1207.
Jig wrote:Where does the DEV come from, and can it be found somewhere?
Kay would most likely be the best to answer that - I got it from him. =)
The quality loss is simply the mp3 codec itself. If I remember right, the collection of Re-Volt mp3s for download that I found anyway were pretty low quality, like 128 CBR, or something. If someone has the real CD, they can rip the audio tracks to something higher like 320 CBR and get _inmm.dll to play them, and you probably won't notice the quality degradation. At least you shouldn't, unless you have audiophile ears. Anyway, the quality degradation of a 128 isn't massive, just noticeable. Blame everything on the encoded files you're using, not the decoder to play them. Unless... for some reason it's badly coded and plays mp3s incorrectly.

Posted: 26 Jan 2010, 05:09
Adamodell
Erghhh... accidentally posted the same thing twice due to a freaking lag... delete this post if possible.

Posted: 26 Jan 2010, 05:43
jigebren
Adamodell @ Jan 26 2010, 12:39 AM wrote:The quality loss is simply the mp3 codec itself. If I remember right, the collection of Re-Volt mp3s for download that I found anyway were pretty low quality, like 128 CBR, or something. If someone has the real CD, they can rip the audio tracks to something higher like 320 CBR and get _inmm.dll to play them, and you probably won't notice the quality degradation. At least you shouldn't, unless you have audiophile ears. Anyway, the quality degradation of a 128 isn't massive, just noticeable. Blame everything on the encoded files you're using, not the decoder to play them. Unless... for some reason it's badly coded and plays mp3s incorrectly.
Ok... so the quality loss is a priori just due to the MP3 encoding. In this case this is not an issue, as I doubt anybody will hear degradation from a 320k rip (especially for that techno music :P ).

@Adamodell
Just a suggestion, adam, don't see no offense ;) , but please don't quote all the message when only a piece is needed. It's useless and make the topic boring to read (in my point of view).

GWC wrote:Jig, in the early days, some of the development team used to post on the forum (including Nick Baines) and I often wonder how much they contributed to RV knowledge - especially MAKEITGOOD - so it could have had been 'un-official'!
I didn't know that. It could indeed explain the 1207 patch origin.

Posted: 26 Jan 2010, 07:36
Adamodell
The quote button is easier to hit than the Add Reply button- bad design.
If I was thinking about quote length I would've just stopped quote chain.

Posted: 26 Jan 2010, 18:28
urnemanden
Adam wrote:The quality loss is simply the mp3 codec itself. If I remember right, the collection of Re-Volt mp3s for download that I found anyway were pretty low quality, like 128 CBR, or something. If someone has the real CD, they can rip the audio tracks to something higher like 320 CBR and get _inmm.dll to play them, and you probably won't notice the quality degradation. At least you shouldn't, unless you have audiophile ears. Anyway, the quality degradation of a 128 isn't massive, just noticeable. Blame everything on the encoded files you're using, not the decoder to play them. Unless... for some reason it's badly coded and plays mp3s incorrectly.
So now I might be 1 reason closer to switching to 1207. Still wondering how the _inmm.dll finds out which mp3 files to play when if it doesn't use Redbook.

Posted: 26 Jan 2010, 18:39
Adamodell
urnemanden @ Jan 26 2010, 01:58 PM wrote:
Adam wrote:The quality loss is simply the mp3 codec itself. If I remember right, the collection of Re-Volt mp3s for download that I found anyway were pretty low quality, like 128 CBR, or something. If someone has the real CD, they can rip the audio tracks to something higher like 320 CBR and get _inmm.dll to play them, and you probably won't notice the quality degradation. At least you shouldn't, unless you have audiophile ears. Anyway, the quality degradation of a 128 isn't massive, just noticeable. Blame everything on the encoded files you're using, not the decoder to play them. Unless... for some reason it's badly coded and plays mp3s incorrectly.
So now I might be 1 reason closer to switching to 1207. Still wondering how the _inmm.dll finds out which mp3 files to play when if it doesn't use Redbook.
If I was a legal owner of the PC version of Re-Volt I'd do the ripping and I'd do it right- and then I'd upload them for you guys. Problem is, I'm not. I do have the DC version, but that's on a format that a regular drive can't read. That'd be no fun.

Posted: 29 Jan 2010, 19:35
jigebren
Anybody has more information about the fact that the 1207 version could be more buggy when it comes to play online?
Do some of you use to play online with this version without issue? Please report your personal experience.

Posted: 29 Jan 2010, 23:21
arto
jigebren @ Jan 29 2010, 03:05 PM wrote: Anybody has more information about the fact that the 1207 version could be more buggy when it comes to play online?
Do some of you use to play online with this version without issue? Please report your personal experience.
I use it online. The issues I have with it (I don't know if these are issues with other version) these:

- sometimes crashes loading ghost town 2. It largely depends what was the previous track whether it manages to load.
- battle tag levels nhood and museum pretty much always crash

Hmm. That's what I remember.

Posted: 30 Jan 2010, 00:17
jigebren
Thanks for the report, arto.

I have PMed you a file. This is a bugfix try I've already done, but not released. I'm wondering if at least the bug in ghost town 2 (I'm not sure for the battle levels) could be the same than in the topic Revolt Bug While Loading 'nhood1.fin'.

Can you please try to test online with the exe file I gave you, and report (perhaps rather in the above topic) if there is (or no) differences.

Posted: 31 Jan 2010, 00:37
arto
jigebren @ Jan 29 2010, 07:47 PM wrote: Thanks for the report, arto.

I have PMed you a file. This is a bugfix try I've already done, but not released. I'm wondering if at least the bug in ghost town 2 (I'm not sure for the battle levels) could be the same than in the topic Revolt Bug While Loading 'nhood1.fin'.

Can you please try to test online with the exe file I gave you, and report (perhaps rather in the above topic) if there is (or no) differences.
Bad or good news,

I tried the battle tag levels with the original Re-Volt, and now they work without problems. I am using the Windows 98 compatibility mode. Seems like some update to Windows has made the compatibility mode better, so that it doesn't crash anymore.

To make a more complete test I took off the compatibility mode. Then both the original as well as your patch crashed when loading Battle Tag nhood level.

I think even the ghost town 2 crash might have been fixed with some Windows update as I don't recall having seen that for some months. But I will use your patch for testing purposes for now on, if there's some strange problem with the patch I'll report it.

Posted: 31 Jan 2010, 02:20
jigebren
As you said, arto, bad or good news.
Not really surprising for the battle level, it was just a try, since changes were more likely to occur in the ghost town 2 level (with compatibility mode deactivated).
But if you say that you don't see this problem anymore, it won't be easy...

Can you just PM me the 'revolt.log' file (in your %TEMP% directory) when a crash occurs, to see if it can help at locating the issue source. And remember me what is your OS.

EDIT: I quickly tested, and it seems I can reproduce the bug when loading Battle Tag nhood level. It could help me to do some deepened tests.

Posted: 31 Jan 2010, 03:03
arto
jigebren @ Jan 30 2010, 09:50 PM wrote: Can you just PM me the 'revolt.log' file (in your %TEMP% directory) when a crash occurs, to see if it can help at locating the issue source. And remember me what is your OS.

EDIT: I quickly tested, and it seems I can reproduce the bug when loading Battle Tag nhood level. It could help me to do some deepened tests.
Sire,

after your edited message I'm at lost what you'd like me to test.

Possibilities:

- Test with battle level crash
- Test with Re-Volt if Ghost Town 2 crash comes

Permutations:

- With the original Re-Volt without compatibility mode
- With the original Re-Volt with compatibility mode
- With the jiggy patched Re-Volt without compatibility mode
- With the jiggy Re-Volt with compatibility mode

Which one you'd like me test or nothing of them?

Another bug I just remembered with on-line play... if you exit with alt+f4 in Windows XP, the re-volt process does not really die. It stays in the background sucking CPU, which you have to kill using Process Manager. This at least with compatibility mode on. This one's quite annoying since if you don't kill it, it's 50/50 if you make it to another on-line race. And if you do, you get choppy display.

Posted: 31 Jan 2010, 03:23
jigebren
arto @ Jan 30 2010, 10:33 PM wrote:Sire,

after your edited message I'm at lost what you'd like me to test.
Me too ;)
I thought it wasn't possible to try the battle level without going online, but it seems that I can. So I tried to launch the nhood battle level alone, and it crashed.
It means that I may test it to find the bug source (but I hope the crash is not due to the fact that I'm the only player, and not online).

If you have win Vista, you could try the Ghost Town 2, without compatibility mode. It should crash at loading with the original but not with my patch. If you have win XP, it doesn't seems to crash, I believe.

But you can still send me your 'revolt.log' file (mostly the last lines) after a crash occurs with a battle level (and also if one day you see the Ghost Town 2 bug appear again).

And thanks for the good help, arto.
Another bug I just remembered with on-line play... if you exit with alt+f4 in Windows XP, the re-volt process does not really die. It stays in the background sucking CPU, which you have to kill using Process Manager. This at least with compatibility mode on. This one's quite annoying since if you don't kill it, it's 50/50 if you make it to another on-line race. And if you do, you get choppy display.
I'm afraid the thread/process stuffs will be above my ability.
But I keep track of it, so don't hesitate to report any other bugs like that, it can help to know the most of them.

Posted: 31 Jan 2010, 03:47
arto
jigebren @ Jan 30 2010, 10:53 PM wrote:
arto,Jan 30 2010, 10:33 PM wrote: If you have win Vista, you could try the Ghost Town 2, without compatibility mode. It should crash at loading with the original but not with my patch. If you have win XP, it doesn't seems to crash, I believe.

But you can still send me your 'revolt.log' file (mostly the last lines) after a crash occurs with a battle level (and also if one day you see the Ghost Town 2 bug appear again).
I have Windows XP. But if running Re-Volt without the compatibility mode and sending any crash reports using that if of help, let me know. I'm beginning to suspect the Ghost Town 2 crash doesn't anymore happen in XP using compatibility mode, but it could happen without it.

If it's any help trying to run it with unpatched Re-Volt in non-compatibility mode I can do it.

Posted: 31 Jan 2010, 13:10
urnemanden
Just a hint from me. Remember that I said that Ghost Town 2 also crash in 0916 when I don't apply Win98 compatibility? Well, it's the same with the battle tags in 0916 too, so to me it's definitely the same Win98 compatibility bug again.
Here is a more manageable overview:

0916 Patch with Win98 comp
- I could load and restart all battle tag tracks offline, no problems at all.

0916 patch without Win98 comp
- revolt.exe crashed at first launch of neighbor battle tag.

As the problem doesn't seem to be related to the 512patch at all, I thought I don't have to test it with that in mind. I could, if you want me to, though.
Arto wrote:Another bug I just remembered with on-line play... if you exit with alt+f4 in Windows XP, the re-volt process does not really die. It stays in the background sucking CPU, which you have to kill using Process Manager.
Let's call that another reason to that I prefer 0916. It dies when you kill it, no matter compatibilty mode. :)

Posted: 31 Jan 2010, 23:26
jigebren
I'm made some new tests. For a strange reason, I can't reproduce the bug under the debugger, which is very bad, as it make things really harder, even just locating where the bug take place is not easy.

Windows is reporting me an exception code 5 at offset 40BAE2, which I think means an 'Access violation'.
By using windows error rapport informations, I try to skip (in a barbarian way) the problematic instructions, step by step. Doing this, I was at the end able to launch the level, but with a framerate of 4 :blink: .

It means I locate the issue, but that's all, it's good but it doesn't help me much. I will at least try to identify the corresponding source code part, but I'm afraid I will never be able to do something about this nasty bug.

urnemanden @ Jan 31 2010, 08:40 AM wrote:Just a hint from me. Remember that I said that Ghost Town 2 also crash in 0916 when I don't apply Win98 compatibility? Well, it's the same with the battle tags in 0916 too, so to me it's definitely the same Win98 compatibility bug again.
From what I said above, and from the test arto has done with a file I gave him, I think we can now be 99.9% sure it is not the same bug.

Posted: 02 Feb 2010, 12:28
jigebren
I've created a new topic to talk about the 'nhood1_battle' specific bug (which affect both 0916 and 1207 version): Bug Loading Nhood1_battle Without Comp. Mode

Nobody has more things to add about the various revolt versions comparison? Every little detail can be of interest.

Posted: 17 Apr 2010, 03:33
urnemanden
I recently found a ncp file, RST gave me as a test ncp. This ncp makes the cars spin a lot, and gives two different results all after if you use 1207 or 0916:

- 1207: Crash! After 3, 2, 1, GO! you'll stay in-game in 2 seconds before Re-Volt will crash (no errors included)

- 0916: Well, after 2 minutes I lost my patience - Re-Volt didn't crash, but I was neither able to drive the car at all.

Perhaps that was why RST always found 0916 more stable than 1207?
If you are interested in trying out the ncp yourself, you can download it here.

Posted: 17 Apr 2010, 20:39
KDL
looks like a normal ncp for me...

4468 polygons