Page 1 of 1
Posted: 18 Jan 2010, 20:11
chriselston
I have never seen any of the admins here on the forum in quite some time! I mean, when is the last time TM&M or MM logged on to here? This forum is practically self-maintained, if you think about it. It needs some updates.

Y'know, something is missing from here... :blink:

Posted: 18 Jan 2010, 20:12
nero
I agree. We need more admins. The two dropping by...it's just not enough. A person who is here regularly would be good. Or make Geoff an admin.

Posted: 18 Jan 2010, 21:33
Adamodell
nero @ Jan 18 2010, 03:42 PM wrote: I agree. We need more admins. The two dropping by...it's just not enough. A person who is here regularly would be good. Or make Geoff an admin.
Haha, me, me, me!

Nah, actually, I like the relative lack of administration. If anything, it shows how smart this forum is.

If I was administrator I'd probably slightly change the look, add a few sections, and... my work would be done. Maybe I'd allow personal photos, who knows. I'd keep it relatively the same though. I wouldn't make the forum slow like every other forum. :P

Posted: 18 Jan 2010, 21:50
GWC
If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Posted: 18 Jan 2010, 21:54
Crone94
IMO it's fine, you dont really need someone to be on 24/7.
Same as above

Posted: 18 Jan 2010, 21:58
jaseaka
i dont see a problem here. members helping members. there's enough general sections. there's no spam here, we post as needed, need a new topic- post it. have NEW discoveries or issues w/ the game...post it. the look is good and simple, loads nice on my raggy pc. and no, i dont think anymore admins are needed here.

Posted: 18 Jan 2010, 22:57
KDL
I see no problem at all (me too)

Posted: 18 Jan 2010, 23:37
Adamodell
GWC @ Jan 18 2010, 05:20 PM wrote: If it ain't broke, don't fix it
This attitude is the absolute best attitude and worst attitude one can have, at the same time. You just have to decide if it's good or bad on your own decision.

In one hand- this is not how inventions were made, enhancements, and increasing technologies.

On the other hand- updates have totally ruined things that used to be good in past events.

This is my favorite forum because it is lightweight and its general population shows intelligence, as well as it has leaders that aren't complete jokes. (Any forum TheMeandMe had anything to do with is automatically 90% cooler in my eyes).

Posted: 18 Jan 2010, 23:50
jigebren
Adamodell @ Jan 18 2010, 07:07 PM wrote:
GWC @ Jan 18 2010, 05:20 PM wrote: If it ain't broke, don't fix it
This attitude is the absolute best attitude and worst attitude one can have, at the same time. You just have to decide if it's good or bad on your own decision.

In one hand- this is not how inventions were made, enhancements, and increasing technologies.

On the other hand- updates have totally ruined things that used to be good.
That's true. And that's why I don't need stuff like changing look, etc, that could make it loose is lightweight status.

But perhaps a few more update messages from admins from time to time would help to keep the feeling that the forum is still fine and alive.

Posted: 19 Jan 2010, 00:09
nero
chriselston @ Jan 18 2010, 03:41 PM wrote: I have never seen any of the admins here on the forum in quite some time! I mean, when is the last time TM&M or MM logged on to here? This forum is practically self-maintained, if you think about it. It needs some updates.

What he meant was we need a "Developers" section. No one bothers to do so.

Posted: 19 Jan 2010, 00:23
chriselston
You see? It's like if automated forums just popped up, people ... :unsure:

Nah, I forget that wonderful statement. But y'know, gray is a dull color, but who cares. Rants rave around these forums, but they are controlled. Things are shared, and everyone doesn't mind. If only the RRR was like that. Can anyone imagine that?

Posted: 19 Jan 2010, 00:26
Adamodell
A Developers section would be a joke, just like the whole of rvdev. 2% of the general population knows how to program, haha. I don't. I never requested "Developer" status at rvdev because I'm not going to succumb to such a lie of a label.

This forum does not need a developer section. If you're serious about that, go to rvdev.

The gray is dull, yes. I'd probably make it some weird combination of black and a color, and get rid of the "stockish" buttons.

Posted: 19 Jan 2010, 00:27
chriselston
Well,

I really didn't expect this topic to become so popular. Well, as a self perspective, meant. But, this place is old, and something just needs to be done with it,

And who said anything about a developer's section? I certainly didn't... :blink:

Posted: 19 Jan 2010, 00:41
jigebren
I don't know if that's what nero meant, but I do need a "developer" section.
Not really a developer section, if you feel like it's too pretentious, but I would appreciate something like a Tools section to talk about patches and stuff like that. The bar isn't the appropriate place for it, and there is no better place for now (and I don't feel like creating my own forum for it).

I asked to manmoutain and gwc for that, but as they don't seems to get involved a lot in the patch topics up to here, I'm not sure they will support the idea.

Posted: 19 Jan 2010, 01:18
Aylown
There's a saying in my country

"Muitos caciques para poucos indios"

Basicaly, it means, lots of chiefs for few indians, that's the situation we should avoid at all costs(RST counts for 10 chiefs)

Forum works fine, everything about development can fit any thread, excess of organization sucks anyhow and we're pretty much fine

Cheers

Posted: 19 Jan 2010, 06:59
Awsomeyxir
@adamodell
The gray is dull, yes. I'd probably make it some weird combination of black and a color, and get rid of the "stockish" buttons.
+1
yes, the grey does make it a bit drab, and likewise the buttons (and other stuff like the favicon) should be changed, to make this forum more original, unique.
@chriselston
I have never seen any of the admins here on the forum in quite some time!  I mean, when is the last time TM&M or MM logged on to here?  This forum is practically self-maintained, if you think about it.  It needs some updates.
I agree, although don't forget there are the other forums which are in competition with ORP for users, though I reckon that most of them would use the most active forum, which is this one IMHO. :)

Posted: 19 Jan 2010, 07:02
Adamodell
Awsomeyxir @ Jan 19 2010, 02:29 AM wrote:
@adamodell
+1
yes, the grey does make it a bit drab, and likewise the buttons (and other stuff like the favicon) should be changed, to make this forum more original, unique.
@chriselston
I have never seen any of the admins here on the forum in quite some time!  I mean, when is the last time TM&M or MM logged on to here?  This forum is practically self-maintained, if you think about it.  It needs some updates.
I agree, although don't forget there are the other forums which are in competition with ORP for users, though I reckon that most of them would use the most active forum, which is this one IMHO. :)
This forum actually isn't active at all compared to some. Yes, including RRR. *cough*
This forum could run without moderation and administration completely. The people just catch the smart disease when they log in on here. Haha.

Posted: 19 Jan 2010, 08:11
Aeon
I wouldn't be surprised if the admin/mods pass through periodically to make sure everything is intact, but just don't participate. I know I visit periodically and don't post anything, because none of the topics interest me or because I'm not really interested in Re-Volt for the time being.

Just be glad this forum is nice and peaceful. The BYOND.com site that I visit/moderate would go to hell within a few days if we left it alone.

Posted: 19 Jan 2010, 19:34
nero
jigebren wrote: I don't know if that's what nero meant, but I do need a "developer" section.
Exactly. The Jig's topics do not belong here in this sub-forum!!!
That is why we need a new one!!! And you people do not understand what we say! :angry:

Posted: 20 Jan 2010, 05:14
Aylown
nero @ Jan 19 2010, 03:04 PM wrote:
jigebren wrote: I don't know if that's what nero meant, but I do need a "developer" section.
Exactly. The Jig's topics do not belong here in this sub-forum!!!
That is why we need a new one!!! And you people do not understand what we say! :angry:
I know what you want, you want a picture of me, ok, I can send you one, just wait a bit

Anyway anyhow, TM&M will come, see your topic and create the new category, that's for sure, even though he does not say much, you see in his account that he is fairly active

We should make a poll of when that will be done though, just for fun :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: 20 Jan 2010, 19:01
nero
Aylown @ Jan 20 2010, 12:44 AM wrote: I know what you want, you want a picture of me, ok, I can send you one, just wait a bit
I loled. Anyway, good teh hear the rest of your reply.

Posted: 25 Jan 2010, 00:50
Manmountain
As I have stated to others, the Christmas period (which is from end of October to mid January and is refered to as Peak! where I work) is very busy for me and greatly reduces the time, if at all, that I am able to get on my PC.
I can only applogise to those members who miss more admin interaction.

I have in the past been very vigulant over certain individual members posts and have then been accused of restricting freedom of opinion and speech.
I too feel that the majority of members know how to use this forum in a friendly and respectful manner and do not need constant supervision. But there are the odd exceptions (you know who you are <_< )
'Too many cheifs, not enough indians' how about 'Too many chefs spoil the broth'
A positive debate that produces a majority opinion can and will encourage change, but the change will only happen by admin.

As to the look of the forum, although I have full access I am both unsure and unwilling to implement changes, as this may cause more negative debate.
If there is a joint effort and aggreement of what really needs to be changed then I shall see what I can do, but I personally like it simple and straight forward.

I have created a new sub forum within the T T T Master Class section, 'Development, Projects & Tools, I hope this proves successful.
I personally prefere less subforums and sections as too many gets hard to manage, I mean, who decides which section a possible post goes if it is clearly not of the topic of the section it is in but contains diverse information that could easily cover several other sections ?
The general forum headers cover all that could be posted. If a specific topic requires its own subforum then, if requested by several members, I shall create one, but with a probationary period to see if it is a viable and productive move.

Don't forget that as active members you can notify admin/mods of any post problems or issues via the Report button attached to each post, OK ?

I hope I have answered most of the questions and issues put forward in this thread, I can not speak for TM&M but he does what he needs to when he has to.

Thank you all for your comments, keep em comin! :hi-bye:

Posted: 25 Jan 2010, 08:50
Adamodell
Manmountain @ Jan 24 2010, 08:20 PM wrote: As I have stated to others, the Christmas period (which is from end of October to mid January and is refered to as Peak! where I work) is very busy for me and greatly reduces the time, if at all, that I am able to get on my PC.
I can only applogise to those members who miss more admin interaction.

I have in the past been very vigulant over certain individual members posts and have then been accused of restricting freedom of opinion and speech.
I too feel that the majority of members know how to use this forum in a friendly and respectful manner and do not need constant supervision. But there are the odd exceptions (you know who you are <_< )
'Too many cheifs, not enough indians' how about 'Too many chefs spoil the broth'
A positive debate that produces a majority opinion can and will encourage change, but the change will only happen by admin.

As to the look of the forum, although I have full access I am both unsure and unwilling to implement changes, as this may cause more negative debate.
If there is a joint effort and aggreement of what really needs to be changed then I shall see what I can do, but I personally like it simple and straight forward.

I have created a new sub forum within the T T T Master Class section, 'Development, Projects & Tools, I hope this proves successful.
I personally prefere less subforums and sections as too many gets hard to manage, I mean, who decides which section a possible post goes if it is clearly not of the topic of the section it is in but contains diverse information that could easily cover several other sections ?
The general forum headers cover all that could be posted. If a specific topic requires its own subforum then, if requested by several members, I shall create one, but with a probationary period to see if it is a viable and productive move.

Don't forget that as active members you can notify admin/mods of any post problems or issues via the Report button attached to each post, OK ?

I hope I have answered most of the questions and issues put forward in this thread, I can not speak for TM&M but he does what he needs to when he has to.

Thank you all for your comments, keep em comin! :hi-bye:
Whoa. :blink:
I really hate this season because EVERYONE is busy and I'm really lonely. :(
I don't always agree with you, and I especially don't always agree with 100% of the content of your posts, but in this rare case. wholeheartedly agreed on all counts. I wonder if I'm one of the exceptions. :P

Posted: 25 Jan 2010, 19:01
urnemanden
3 admins would in my eyes be 1 admin too much. Neither Changing the looks on this forum would not make me any more active than I already am - and I don't think my opinion varies from others in that case. I like keeping things as the are as long as they aren't crappy.

MM wrote:Don't forget that as active members you can notify admin/mods of any post problems or issues via the Report button attached to each post, OK ?
I expected to find some sort of overview of all reports, but I am right now unable to find it in the Admin CP. Could you explain the system in detail for me, please?

Posted: 26 Jan 2010, 04:22
Manmountain
urnemanden @ Jan 25 2010, 02:31 PM wrote:
MM wrote:Don't forget that as active members you can notify admin/mods of any post problems or issues via the Report button attached to each post, OK ?
I expected to find some sort of overview of all reports, but I am right now unable to find it in the Admin CP. Could you explain the system in detail for me, please?
Sorry, but I am unsure what your actually asking ? :unsure:

Posted: 26 Jan 2010, 18:34
urnemanden
MM wrote: Sorry, but I am unsure what your actually asking ?
ah, let me explain a bit further then:
When clicking the Report button, I as a member will be able to enter a message and send the report to you. But how do you, as the admin, find my report? Do you get an e-mail, for example? Or do you have a list over reports, just like there is a list over moderators and suspended users?

Posted: 27 Jan 2010, 02:52
Manmountain
Ah, yes.

All the admin and mods of the forum section the report was made should get an email message with a link to the post and a possible note from the sender. Then it is just down to who reacts to it first.

There is no stored reports list, well I have never seen one.

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: 27 Jan 2010, 19:17
urnemanden
Indeed it did, thanks! So, is there any rules or guidelines I should follow when judging whether a post should be reported or not? Are the report button supposed to be used when real spam is posted or should I also report a post if I want my post deleted because it was off-topic somehow?

Sorry for my curiosity, but I know that ORP mainly is very open when it comes to rules and such, so I just need to know if where the line is for reporting - It would be ridiculous to bother you too much, even though I don't think that will ever happen. ;)

Posted: 28 Jan 2010, 01:01
Manmountain
The ideal use of the report post function is when a post contains obvious spam, obscene material (whether written or images), religious material (that is totally out of context or offensive) or an out of control aggressive debate.
Most post of this nature should be spotted within a day or two, but imediate reporting will get them removed sooner.

You don't need to report of posts that are off topic, double posts or just stupid nonsense as these posts will always be slightly relevent and promote other member interaction.

Please don't feel that it is your duty to trail through each post and make a judgement call, obvious offensive post stick out a mile, it's just the time it takes for one of the admin/mods to react to them, OK ?

Posted: 04 Feb 2010, 03:56
jigebren
Is it possible to make some proposals about little things that could be modified to improve the forum (in my point of view)?

I mean, for exemple, having the members list sorted by decreasing number of posts by default rather than by name, to skip all inactive members when we look at the list.
Little stuff like that, not very important, and I hope not very hard to implement for you Manmountain, but that could ease the everyday use of the forum.

Posted: 04 Feb 2010, 05:53
Manmountain
Sorry, but no.
As far as I know that is the default of invisionfree forums, there is nothing in the admin control panel that refers to anything like that.
There is a section that contains some html coding regarding the board, but that is way beyond me.

Posted: 04 Feb 2010, 06:05
jigebren
Ok, too bad.
So I can forget about swapping the 'add reply' / 'preview post' buttons...

In fact, I have no idea about how the forum is managed from an admin point of view: what you can modify, what you can't, etc.

I think I will have to learn about greasemonkey...

Posted: 04 Feb 2010, 18:39
miromiro
http://invisionfree.com

Click on Register & create your own test forum where for sure, you are the ROOT admin.

There you have a lot of things like this:
  • Administration Menu
  • InvisionFree Network
  • System Settings
  • Forum Control
  • Users and Groups
  • Administration
  • Skinning & Styles
  • Statistics
  • Board Logs

Posted: 04 Feb 2010, 19:44
jigebren
Ok, not sure I will take the time to do so, but thanks for the tip.
Perhaps you can do what you need in Skinning & Styles, but probably not in an easy way.

Anyway, I'm just wondering, isn't it strange to provide a completely free service like that forum, how can it be profitable to the host?

Posted: 04 Feb 2010, 19:49
urnemanden
I believe that they perhaps earn their money through adverts and donations, but I'm only guessing, so..

Posted: 04 Feb 2010, 23:20
KDL
advertising.... and in thousands of forums x2 ...

they must be rich by now

Posted: 06 Feb 2010, 04:14
miromiro
There are over 34.000.000 forums registered at invisionfree.
One of the big admins is maybe Bill Gates.