Page 1 of 1
Posted: 17 Jan 2010, 01:48
human
hello maestros,
i am wondering if anyone in the community has a kind of home made list of what makeitgood objects use which of the ten .bmp files and if possible what part of the 256x256 square?
let me know please, thanks.

Posted: 17 Jan 2010, 01:54
zagames
RST had a partial list on the RRR. What are you looking for?

Posted: 17 Jan 2010, 05:42
human
well, on my next track i would like to get the most out of the objects and to do this i will need to know which bmp they will use, so i can be clever with placing the textures. not sure yet which objects to use, but sliding door for sure, abc cubes probably, gary flag maybe, im not sure which ones. i thought if there is a complete list somewhere that would be nice to have, a partial list would be also useful, but i dont have anything to offer up as a sacrifice to rst for it :P

Posted: 17 Jan 2010, 07:38
jigebren
I made the list, with the info for each revolt models (if I forget one, tell me, I tried to go fast, as it tended to be quickly boring). I think it can help you. :)

The file (ReVolt models files information.txt) is accessible on my webpage.

I hope that's what you were looking for.

Posted: 17 Jan 2010, 08:52
human
:o wow, jig,
this is exactly what i was looking for!
thank you very much for making this list! :hi-bye:

Posted: 17 Jan 2010, 22:52
GWC
The only 2 objects I've had need to look into are the small cone and the ABC cubes.

The cones are mapped to 8 x 4 pixels at 12,4 on .bmp D; and the cubes to 162 x 54 at 0.0 on G.

Geoff

Posted: 20 Jan 2010, 00:05
human
GWC @ Jan 17 2010, 06:22 PM wrote: The only 2 objects I've had need to look into are the small cone and the ABC cubes.

The cones are mapped to 8 x 4 pixels at 12,4 on .bmp D; and the cubes to 162 x 54 at 0.0 on G.

Geoff
well, actually the cones are mapped with bmp B.
what jig said about the abc blocks was right.

question:
when i map a custom object, there is no other way to map it than using EXACTLY the same pixels from the correspondent bmp, even if the model needs a 256x256 area to be nice, even then i have to use the same area on the bmp picture than what is used by the original model, no matter how small the area is, right?
in other words: if the abc cubes are mapped to bmp G to three 54x54 pixels areas, i cannot use ANY OTHER or ANY LARGER areas for mapping, even if i needed a 128x128 pixels area, i have to make it 54x54 to work, is that correct? or is it only the letter of the bmp that has to match the original?

Posted: 20 Jan 2010, 01:39
jigebren
human @ Jan 19 2010, 07:35 PM wrote:well, actually the cones are mapped with bmp B.
Are you sure you're not mixing with 'n2trafficcone'? The cones are what you find in the frontend, on the stand with the little cars, and according to the list I gave you, they are mapped to texture D.
what jig said about the abc blocks was right.
Did I said something about abc blocks? Hold on, I understand, you mean, in my list...

About your question, if I understood it well, it depends:

- if you want to use the original models without modifying the .m file, then you have to use the original texture mapping AND the original texture indice (letter). You can't resize the mapping, you can't use another place in the bitmap, you can't use another name for the bmp texture file.

- if you want to modify the texture mapping or the texture indice, then you have to modify the model (the .m file), thus you'll have to provide an installer, like you did with the TNT pickup in your jailhouse level.

Posted: 20 Jan 2010, 03:30
human
oops yes i confused the two cones, you are right.

the models:
the dynamite pickup was a different case because the original model is untextured, so is the custom model, so there was no texturing involved.
what i am wondering about is that if i make a custom model, which i will use in place of a planet model (you have to replace an original one to have a moving custom model, otherwise its just an instance) then will i have to be stick to the original area on the bmp file or can i actually use the whole bmp if i wanted to?
i can try all these myself of course, but if somebody did it before, its easier just ask to save time.

Posted: 20 Jan 2010, 03:54
jigebren
I didn't try it myself, so I can be mistaken, but unless there is a hidden restriction in the game, if you make a brand new model, you can do what you want with the texture. The texture indice and the texture mapping are written in the .pmr/.m file, not in the revolt exe, so you're free.

Posted: 20 Jan 2010, 04:08
human
jigebren @ Jan 19 2010, 09:09 PM wrote: - if you want to use the original models without modifying the .m file, then you have to use the original texture mapping AND the original texture indice (letter). You can't resize the mapping, you can't use another place in the bitmap, you can't use another name for the bmp texture file.
and the other thing that i was wondering about was what you described here.
for example i want to use the slider door with different textures, in this case i have to use the same bmp file, the same area and the same mapping than the original, right?
in this case retexturing a more complicated model is very hard, because i dont have control over the mapping at all, right?

Posted: 20 Jan 2010, 04:19
jigebren
If you want to use the slider door, you can import the .m file in Max (i think it's possible, isn't it). Then you can do what you want with the texture, like with any other custom model (ie. change the texture, the mapping, ...) and replace the original model with your exported one.
Another solution could be to create a new meshes with the same dimension than the original (to reuse the same collision file (.ncp or .hul)).

Posted: 20 Jan 2010, 04:39
human
jigebren @ Jan 19 2010, 11:49 PM wrote: If you want to use the slider door, you can import the .m file in Max (i think it's possible, isn't it). Then you can do what you want with the texture, like with any other custom model (ie. change the texture, the mapping, ...) and replace the original model with your exported one.
Another solution could be to create a new meshes with the same dimension than the original (to reuse the same collision file (.ncp or .hul)).
i dont think its possible to edit any revolt models in max, i wish i was wrong.

creating a mesh and reusing collision files would be very hard, because there are no exact dimensions, nothing to go with, it would be try and try again endlessly.
maybe i could get it right for the 6th time with the sliding doors, but probably never with the dragon for example.

Posted: 20 Jan 2010, 05:11
jigebren
Sorry, I thought the export process you use to export from max was reversible.

I don't really care about max, as I prefer to use an open tool like blender (which is a bit less expensive ;) ).

Perhaps you can try this file, as a starting point. I think you can open .3ds file, right? I'm not sure of the result, and be careful that it can have been resized/divided by a factor of 10.

Posted: 21 Jan 2010, 03:59
human
thx jig,
yes, max opens 3ds files (to be precise it imports them, not opens them)
ill try the slider model. thanks for being so ready to help.
but i dont really have definite plans at the moment, i want to think it through first.
im just experimenting and planning a future track.

Posted: 21 Jan 2010, 04:33
jigebren
human wrote:thanks for being so ready to help.
Yep, perhaps a bit too ready actually, I'll have to stop ;) . Just joking, the real explanation is that, since for the time being I don't have enough time to spend on my patch, etc, I have a little time for this kind of help when I make a break. Take advantage of it, it won't last...
but i dont really have definite plans at the moment, i want to think it through first.
im just experimenting and planning a future track.
Don't worry, I know it's just for experimenting, and I support it. I mean, you're not asked for results. :)

Posted: 24 Jan 2010, 00:34
jigebren
I just like to add that you have to be aware that some models will be disabled when in time trial or multiplayer mode (like for example, the bottle or the train model - to be verified).

EDIT: I'm not sure if this answer belongs to this topic, or to the "The Makeitgood Mini-pub " topic...