Page 1 of 1
Posted: 14 Jan 2010, 09:21
jigebren
This topic is about the bug reported by urnemanden in the patch 512 topic.

Urnemanden's computer under windows Vista crashed when loading the 'nhood1.fin' for the 'nhood1' level under some still quite hazy conditions.
(I now believe that it is linked to something like the compatibility mode desactivated, but it has to be confirmed by urnemanden himself).

In the beginning, it was thought that it is a bug caused by the 512 patch, but after some tests, I began to be sure it is not.

Now, I have clearly identified a bug on my system which I'm quite sure is THIS bug.
In fact, I believe it's linked to empty collision files for some instances of the level.

The funny thing is while I think the the bug has always been here, I don't know why it appears only now. :blink: Perhaps because modern OSes are less permissive than before?

Moreover, I may be in the way to correct this bug. But it will be a different job: for my previous patchs, I just have to patch some constant values, but here I have to modify/add directly some instructions, and the place is very limited in the compiled exe file.

So, wish me good luck. ;)

Posted: 14 Jan 2010, 16:41
human
good luck jig, i hope you can fix every bugs.

Posted: 14 Jan 2010, 20:23
urnemanden
Hello Jig,

I tested out Re-Volt 512 with Win98 compatibilty and nhood1 and Ghost Town 2 ran smoothly without any problems! Thanks for the support on this issue. =)

Posted: 14 Jan 2010, 22:25
jigebren
human wrote:good luck jig, i hope you can fix every bugs.
Thanks, human, but counting at least ~1 week for each little bug (and I was very lucky for this one), it will take some time... And above all, in a lot of case it would just be over my capacity.
urnemanden wrote:I tested out Re-Volt 512 with Win98 compatibilty and nhood1 and Ghost Town 2 ran smoothly without any problems! Thanks for the support on this issue. =)
Glad to see it works on your system too. It means that it is really the same bug you were talking about (in case we were still unsure).

Notice
I will have to make a little break in the coming days. A friend gave me a new (old) pc (a P4 2.4GHz), and I have to reinstall it before using. And I'm getting very late in a job I have to finish very soon.

Posted: 15 Jan 2010, 03:43
zipperrulez
i too have this bug, so i just copied the stock fin over into the 512 patch. problem solved. ;)

Posted: 15 Jan 2010, 06:26
jigebren
zipperrulez @ Jan 14 2010, 11:13 PM wrote:i too have this bug, so i just copied the stock fin over into the 512 patch. problem solved. ;)
The .fin files are not modified at all by the 512patch, so it's hard to believe that what you have done can have change anything. I believe it's just a coincidence (or I didn't understand what you said).
Moreover, as far as we know, the bug isn't linked with the 512patch.
Having said that, if you are really sure that the bug appear because of the patch, as this can't be completely excluded, then let me know.

Posted: 15 Jan 2010, 09:04
zipperrulez
not sure but when i did that it worked fine afterwards. maybe it was the restart of revolt that fixed it? i'd bet it was just a coincidence.