Page 1 of 1
Posted: 10 Jan 2010, 20:26
MOH
I know this is going to sound stupid... and i may annoy people... but ITS NOT ONLY ME who thinks this... but why are custom cars only enjoyed by mostly noobs?

i mean Everyone love tracks dont they, i can completely understand why, with the amount of effort put in, but there are only a handful of people who actually enjoy custom cars

im not having a go at people, im just curious as to why.. and what makes people not like them and why the only feedback we seem to get is "its nice" and things like that

Posted: 10 Jan 2010, 20:33
Adamodell
MOH @ Jan 10 2010, 03:56 PM wrote: I know this is going to sound stupid... and i may annoy people... but ITS NOT ONLY ME who thinks this... but why are custom cars only enjoyed by noobs?

i mean Everyone love tracks dont they, i can completely understand why, with the amount of effort put in, but there are only a handful of people who actually enjoy custom cars

im not having a go at people, im just curious as to why.. and what makes people not like them and why the only feedback we seem to get is "its nice" and things like that
Tracks are far more eccentric and nuanced, and there's a lot more opportunity to show off skills within them. But, you're so right I don't even know how to put it. I'm getting sick of being side to side with... take this as lightly as possible, with people who don't even properly get how to release cars... or even pack them. (Just take a look at Zach's REPEATED posts about incorrect car packing). It's always the upstarts releasing cars... when they should probably be practicing first. I was guilty of the same thing, but I believe I got the clue quite quick that I needed to practice, and I did. Now I got everyone thinking I'm this terrible cocky person, when I'm not. Only reason I'm cocky is because I don't have proper competition... other than MOH himself, and I think he absolutely owns me in every way. I'd love to have conversion competition though. I don't feel like I'm in a competitive environment. There are some "pretty" good converters out there these days... but no offense, they are all upstarts.

TheMeandMe was probably the only case of the farthest people from noobs releasing cars and doing it WELL. Little things like wheel positioning, parameters, graphical consistency, you don't let this stuff flop, or you're going to slowly riddle your cars with all those little errors that are just so cliche with noobdom.

[/end of rant]

I mean, the car community doesn't have hils or skitchs or humans or Gabors or... as you can see the list goes on.

Posted: 10 Jan 2010, 20:35
urnemanden
Cars submitted to RVZT is mainly too fast, only categorized as "Pro", doesn't have any antenna or doesn't look like a RC Car at all. Most cars just doesn't fit into my car collection and I am therefore not really downloading any, unless I wish to test them out - like the car you sent me with the 512 texture.

As Adam also points out, tracks offers much more details and additions, where cars mainly is: cars.

(That's my own opinion.)

Posted: 10 Jan 2010, 20:38
MOH
i personally dont mind the lack of good comments or attention or whatever, because im just happy making cars and, having fun. thats what this community is forgetting, the FUN. I LOVE Re-Volt, and love making cars for it so i dont really care about competition, and whos cars are best.

all i want to know is why is that the "Greats" from revolt dont seem to care for cars

Posted: 10 Jan 2010, 20:41
MOH
double post XD

so if the cars were more like the original revolt cars? and with more variation

thanks urne this is the kind of thing im wanting to find out (Y)

Posted: 10 Jan 2010, 20:46
urnemanden
Exactly! And if there parameters were varying too, so the car had both bad sides and good sides - then I would consider downloading it for sure! (and even more if it worked with the 512 patch)

Posted: 10 Jan 2010, 20:50
Adamodell
urnemanden @ Jan 10 2010, 04:05 PM wrote: Cars submitted to RVZT is mainly too fast,  only categorized as "Pro", doesn't have any antenna or doesn't look like a RC Car at all. Most cars just doesn't fit into my car collection and I am therefore not really downloading any, unless I wish to test them out - like the car you sent me with the 512 texture.

As Adam also points out, tracks offers  much more details and additions, where cars mainly is: cars.

(That's my own opinion.)
Urne, I love you... but that's picky as heck.

Too fast: that's why you race them with each other.
No antenna: There's a such thing as an embedded antenna- they don't have as much range, though. Anyway, why does this matter? This game isn't a sim.
Doesn't fit into collection: The more custom cars you have, the more fitting of itself it will be. About all custom cars steal each other's params anyway.
Doesn't look like an RC car: it doesn't have to, this isn't a qualification to anything.

Also, I don't like to differentiate between cliques of the RV community, but I noticed most of the custom car-haters are online racers. This is probably another reason I hate the online community... subconsciously anyway.

Posted: 10 Jan 2010, 21:14
urnemanden
Adamodell @ Jan 10 2010, 04:20 PM wrote: Too fast: that's why you race them with each other.
No antenna: There's a such thing as an embedded antenna- they don't have as much range, though. Anyway, why does this matter? This game isn't a sim.
Doesn't fit into collection: The more custom cars you have, the more fitting of itself it will be. About all custom cars steal each other's params anyway.
Doesn't look like an RC car: it doesn't have to, this isn't a qualification to anything.
Well, now you know why I mainly don't have custom cars. I ain't hating them, I just don't like about 95% of all custom cars made because they appear sporty and cool, rather than looking harmless and RC-car-like. I priory fun races higher than competitive ones - That's why I mainly drive with pickups.

Posted: 10 Jan 2010, 21:16
Adamodell
urnemanden @ Jan 10 2010, 04:44 PM wrote:
Adamodell @ Jan 10 2010, 04:20 PM wrote: Too fast: that's why you race them with each other.
Well, now you know why I mainly don't have custom cars. I ain't hating them, I just don't like about 95% of all custom cars made because they appear sporty and cool, rather than looking harmless and RC-car-like. I priory fun races higher than competitive ones - That's why I mainly drive with pickups.
Oh, and ironically, Iron Bob released a few cars that were like 100 mph, and... they were RC cars. Haha. If my memory is working right anyway.

Posted: 10 Jan 2010, 22:31
Aeon
The problem I have with both cars and tracks actually is that they are never consistent. I would like to have RC cars that look and drive like RC cars, real-life cars than look and drive (within reason) like real life cars, futuristic cars that look and drive like POD cars, and so forth.

I'd also like tracks to be the same way - tracks design for RC cars, tracks designed for real life cars, and tracks designed for POD cars.

At that point, Re-volt could easily be divided into sets. You download RC cars and tracks in one set, then you have real life cars and tracks in another and POD-style cars and tracks in a third, with each track being designed for the kind of cars it expects, and each car being designed with parameters that will make it fit in with others of its type.

Posted: 10 Jan 2010, 22:51
Cat
I'm tired of those people that post simplistic comments like "cool", "nice", and don't post critiques (what's good, what's bad, what needs to be improved, etc).
Also, there are car authors that don't check if his car has good or terrible AI (look at my old repaints).

Posted: 10 Jan 2010, 23:08
MOH
IMO revolt should have real RC cars, i love making revolt style cars, but i also love modeling real cars, cause i like to test my skills lol.

so far...

we need more revolt style cars in other than "pro"
more consistant cars (which is hard for me because i always have too many ideas lmao)
cars that work with ai... so none of my cars :P

more stuff like this please people! i want to know more like this XD

Posted: 10 Jan 2010, 23:09
miromiro
We all love your good cars, MOH.
Don't hear the stupid guys who got sick of them.

Posted: 10 Jan 2010, 23:10
MOH
URGH that is exactly what i dont want MIROMIRO :@

Posted: 10 Jan 2010, 23:22
Adamodell
Cat @ Jan 10 2010, 06:21 PM wrote: I'm tired of those people that post simplistic comments like "cool", "nice", and don't post critiques (what's good, what's bad, what needs to be improved, etc).
Also, there are car authors that don't check if his car has good or terrible AI (look at my old repaints).
Like me. After driving around for a bit, I noticed my cars tend to fare decent with AI. Some of them downright suck, but that's just because the parameters were too much of a deviation from "Re-Volt's norm". I'm sure I could hack around five years in the AI section and never be able to fix those cars, though.

Haha, MOH, you just told me that miro would say your cars are awesome. Haha.

Posted: 10 Jan 2010, 23:28
miromiro
MOH @ Jan 10 2010, 06:40 PM wrote: URGH that is exactly what i dont want MIROMIRO :@
Oops. :o.

Posted: 11 Jan 2010, 03:49
Adamodell
Actually no replies was answer enough, haha.

Posted: 11 Jan 2010, 06:03
zagames
Well, I agree with what (most of) you guys are saying. I appreciate different classes of cars like RC, Real Life, Future, and Funky. It seems that too many people only mess with one specific aspect of a car. They just take an old set of params, modify the stuff they want, then call it good. I think to truly make a real car, you have to almost write a parameters.inf from scratch. It bugs me to no end when there are minor issues e.g. tires that don't sit within the fenders, etc... I think a lot of cars conversion and original are dabomb, just because they take a bit more work. I also like some repaints, but usually they aren't worth it. Yeah, I don't comment much either, but that's nothing against the track/car author, it's just my time deficiency. :P

Posted: 05 Mar 2010, 17:31
Citywalker
My several cents here... :) (aka Warning, long post!)

I’m mostly a user, not a creator, and thus sometimes plagued by a little sense of shame for not giving much back to the community, but I’m attempting to make a contribution by opinions from time to time, like here.

I, too, like variety, and a good challenge. So I’m all positive about having good, and I mean _good_ custom cars made for the game. But, alas, I have seen much the same annoyances as pointed out here.

I think variety in cars is as important as variety in tracks. The more, the merrier. It gives additional challenge of not only mastering the tracks, but mastering the cars as well. For me, those are both important challenges. I am actually going through the game as a sort of journey: take a track and try it with all cars in succession, and try to make it to the 1st pos. with at least one car. Then take the next track. Makes for some nice moments, especially considering I have modified all the cars in my collection to have a ResMod of 1.000. This way they tumble realistically and the differences in cars are more pointed out as well. A balanced car is a real asset now. I also drive them all in first-person camera mode (yes, even the crazy Rotor) – this gives a very good feeling of the subtle (and not so subtle) differences between the cars.

1) I have tried a lot of the original cars at RVZT, and over time I have weeded out most of them, even most of the stock ones that came with the game. There are just too many cars with similar handling, speed or shape. I now have just 25 cars (9 stocks and 16 customs) and every time a new one comes out on RVZT, it tends to be similar to the ones I already use, so I either leave it be or replace with it one in my collection. (Do tell me if anyone wants to actually know what I have – this post is long enough without it).

2) Most of the custom cars offered are “Pro”. That’s just plain boring. No challenge in completing the various mad and not-so-mad tracks with decent times and/or decent success in not crashing. I have actually lowered a couple of such cars to the “amateur” level (Tractor and SuperPeat, specifically), to get a more balanced collection. (This is not hard to do, just halved and then halved again the engine ratios of their wheels in the parameters file. As I’m not going to release them this way, I don’t really consider it a violation of any copyrights.)

3) The splitting of the car lot into RC, scaled models and futuristics/weirds is evident, as well. Now, this is basically a matter or personal preference of each downloader / car maker. Let there be cars in every category, no offence to anyone.

4) Cars being too good / too fast: yes, this ties somewhat into the “Pro” problem. I personally get bored of a car rather quickly if it’s all roses and no thorns. Where’s the challenge with such vehicles? I keep only those cars that have perceivable disadvantages to them, while also being fun to drive (the BossVolt lump-of-steel was too friggin slow and painful to get running after a wall bump even for me, I finally replaced it with the Peterbilt – just as lumbering and truck-feeling, but not as painful to drive :) ).

5) About the car AI: umph. I’m afraid I have nothing important to say in this regard. I haven’t really paid much attention to the AI part of the cars, I have just accepted that certain cars drive in a certain way in the “hands” of the AI. Although some things could be improved, especially the way the AI cannot manage anything with slow-turning wheels (Caterpillar is one vehicle that always bumps from wall to wall, and even Peterbilt is not immune to this sometimes). Though Savage X works well with AI, so MOH – no self-flagellation :)

So, that’s it for now.

Posted: 06 Mar 2010, 00:46
urnemanden
Nice to see a member around here weighting tracks and cars so equal. I agree with you on many points and I especially like the fact that you take your time to go through so many cars to find the 25 you find most comfortable. I would personally not even consider changing/removing some/all of the original stock cars, but if it works better for you with some custom cars replacing some of the stock, I would like to know what cars you actually have maybe inclusive some facts about each (advantages, disadvantages).

I am hoping for more cars like MOH's recently submitted Thunder Tiger Bx, that's exactly the type of custom cars I am looking for myself - I guess I am just not as avid as you, since I never looked through the whole list of cars to find something similar in a lower class.

Posted: 06 Mar 2010, 02:24
MOH
thanks for that reply Citywalker, I also think that low resmods are better in revolt, but sometimes i dont think it fits in with the other cars, so i keep them relatively equal.

And when it comes to AI it seems that revolt drives cars with very high SteerRatios and SteerRates for example humma and volken turbo. however i think lower values seem to feel smoother whilst driving, but really slows down the AI
Nice to see a member around here weighting tracks and cars so equal.
i see tracks as better than cars, cars are all the same but there is so much variation in tracks. :P

Posted: 06 Mar 2010, 02:31
urnemanden
Personally I don't weight tracks and car equal myself, but Citywalkers opinion did clear something up for me - cars is technically much more detailed than tracks.

Posted: 06 Mar 2010, 02:34
miromiro
Haha, Citywalker is a good guy that works without telling anyone, and tell us only the results.

You're cool guy B)

:cheers:

Posted: 07 Mar 2010, 10:56
Citywalker
Miro, I’m a gal actually, but thanks anyway <smiles>

Ok, Urne, you wanted it, now bear with it :) For others – this post continues after that <smiles>

But y’all, keep in mind that the advantages and disadvantages below are my experience at ResMod 1.00, so it may not have been exactly (or less pronounced) your experience with the same cars... And it’s the same order I drive them in, to “conquer” a track.
There are 25 cars (5 rookie, 3 amateur, 3 advanced, 3 semi-pro, 11 pro). Still too many pros, but that’s the overall ratio out there...
9 originals:
RC Bandit – rookie. The comparison base for everything else, can’t eliminate it ever for that reason <chuckles> At ResMod 1 it turned out to be actually quite nose-heavy. So jumps are a matter of careful negotiation now – certain bumps land you flat on your back going right over your nose, unless taking them at really low speed. It makes for some nice strategic racing for a change.
Phat Slug – rookie. Slow and heavy, but actually quite stable. A pain to climb any steeps.
Harvester – rookie. The best turning characteristics of all the stock cars, but not that stable at jumps.
Volken Turbo – rookie. One of the only two stock touring cars I kept, others were a bit too rehashed or too perfect-handling for me. It’s stable and relatively just as fast in the rookie class as the zipper is in pro class. And there are too many pro cars around, so I dropped the zipper. The negative side of Volken is that it’s not much of an off-roader – spins and shakes too much, obviously due to its street suspension.
Genghis Kar – amateur. Oh what a lumbering hunk of steel on rubber barrels <laughs> It’s the only other stock car to give that feeling besides Rotor, and it’s different enough from it to keep. On the plus side – it’s relatively fast and not that much affected by rockets.
Evil Weasel – advanced. Fast, but with a really high turning radius. Thus requires a totally different racing strategy from others. Was kept in favour of the Pole Poz, as the lower-class item of the pair.
Panga TC – advanced. The other touring car I kept, mainly for its interesting disadvantage – it rolls over more easily than a pet dog <laughs> And off-roading makes it shake – literally, from side to side, as if it could barely keep from rolling. Which it really can barely keep from. But it’s fast for its class.
Rotor – semi-pro. Too original to lose, but a pain to drive. It’s even more a hulk on barrels than Genghis and thus flips over _sideways_ in fast cornering. How much fun is that?! Sometimes, not much... But it’s a good challenge to get through a track with it, especially in first-person camera mode. Not _too_ slow, either, if you can keep it steady.
Panga (the panda bear) – pro. Very original. Very fast. Very wall-humping if facing it. A good relaxation after the Rotor and a good chance to get a 1. pos. at a track if it proved too devious for other cars before it.

16 customs:
BossL4x4 – pro. This one is in the collection for the sheer size of it. As for handling – the all-wheel turning makes it sharp at corners, but it’s an absolutely pathological roll-over-the-nose at any jumps. And the huge size means that low borders don’t help much in keeping it within the road. Very devious to drive if not careful.
Caterpillar – pro. Quite interesting to drive, because the front wheels not only turn slow, but also return to the straight position just as slow. So you have to think ahead and start turning long before the corner, and then stop turning as soon as possible or the thing just keeps on turning and hits the inside wall. On the plus side, it’s a relatively stable jumper – not going over the nose, although it still lands on its front scoop all the time.
Blitzwagen Hammer – pro. Heavy, fast, good turning. But needs a sign hanging from its steering wheel: “Warning, do not touch the walls. Sticks to them.” (About the heaviness – I modified it to have a kilogram of more weight, as it is a large rocket car, after all.)
Dump-Truck – advanced. It’s just so adorable, like a child’s sandbox toy <smiles>. But it has a body-roll of a real dump-truck (not from experience :) ), true to its creator’s description. Good turning, but tends to be flipped over by others hitting it.
Tractor – amateur. That’s one of the two vehicles that I edited down from pro to amateur. The pack needed more of that class than just one <laughs> And it’s quite tractor-like in handling, too. Not too fast now, but stable. (Modified to have its huge rear wheels triple the weight of its tiny front wheels. Some realism, people, some realism.)
Matchbox (Mbox) – semi-pro. Oh my, what a good original idea! But a pain to drive, as its low weight means that it spins easily in place when trying to get going after a crash. On the plus side – it’s one of the few vehicles that don’t dip its nose when in air. By the way, I changed its engine from glow to electric – it’s made of paper, after all, and that doesn’t go well with gasoline and internal combustion <laughs>.
Peterbilt 359 – rookie. Every collection needs a heavy truck that actually handles like a heavy truck. Slow, heavy, wide turning, body-roll – overall a good challenge to drive and gives a very realistic sense of trying to race a semi. Not much stops it once it gets going, except high jumps, because it throws its nose in the air after hitting the ground with it, sometimes it even flips over tail like this.
Savage X – pro. The best-looking monster-truck I have seen this far. And handles like a dream. It’s just very high and so sometimes can’t get under low obstacles. Also has quite a body-roll, especially noticeable in first-person camera. It doesn’t really have any grave disadvantages, I kept it for its good looks. Fortunately it’s not all roses and no thorns, either, as there are cars with more speed in its class.
Soquet – semi-pro. The speeder and an almost last-resort race-winner in the collection (the last-last-resort is the Wardog). If I can’t win a track with this one, the only other probable possibility in any near future is a bit unfair win with the Bimota Tesi motorcycle. Fast, sharp turning, glued to the ground – exactly what I have avoided in assembling my collection :D It’s the only one like this, and kept solely as a frustration relief (well, it does look good, too). The only disadvantage is that it’s rubber-knobbed tires (they do feel like that when driving) sometimes manage to send it rolling sideways, but only if being really careless in a high-speed turn.
Super Peat – amateur. That’s the other pro I downgraded, as I wanted to have a good monster truck in the lower classes. All-wheel turning makes it good at cornering, and it’s not too fast, and it’s a pain to get running after a stop.
T-Bucket – pro. Totally a challenge-vehicle. It took me a while to learn to actually control that insanely over-powered hotrod, but it is actually possible when not flooring the gas all the time <laughs>
Bimota Tesi – pro. The only bike I have found that looks decent and also leans correctly (Very Important Aspect!). Although I had to correct a mistake in its parameters to get it realistic – the creator has accidentally left one of the technically two rear wheels insanely high-powered. After getting that in line with the other “half of the rear wheel”, it suits well in the pro class (instead of hyper-pro or something). I keep it as a novelty variety, because it is still too easy to win a race with it, but it’s worth it to experience the leaning action of a real motorbike-y speeding along the tracks. A somewhat stupid quirk/effect of this bike is that when a corner is too tight, the bike can actually climb the outer wall a bit while speeding along it in heavily leaned position with its wheels on the wall. I usually try to overlook it because I don’t want to go searching for another bike. And also, it sometimes confuses the game so it’s not allowed to go past some checkpoint node (whatever they are actually called). So it’s not an all-wins vehicle, either.
Theta – pro. This thing has the softest suspension I have seen, even more than the Savage X. Thus it flips easily and body-rolls madly. But it’s very stable in air, actually feels like gliding (this suits well with the shape of the car). Unless going off the ramp at an angle, of course (but this is a consideration with all cars, with ResMod 1.0).
APC – pro. Oh boy, you don’t want to jump in this iron box. It lands on its nose and immediately kicks the said nose in air, losing all steering ability for a while. Alternatively it lands on its tail and immediately kicks its tail in the air, skidding _and_ spinning 180 degrees at the same time. And it has a very wide turning radius. And it has a low acceleration. But it’s not too slow in top speed, and can be handled well if handled with care. A scream to drive, as Beetlejuice would say. Thus, a good challenge.
Thunder Tiger BX – pro. A classic shape. A terrifically good active suspension (I can actually feel the nose wobbling a bit on the front springs after a jump). A great tendency to slip-and-grip-and-slip-and-grip in speedy turns, thus making it a bit hard to end the said turn in a perfect direction. And flips over the nose in some jumps. But overall, a good responsive racer.
Wardog – pro. Eight working wheels, wheee!! What more could you ask for a custom design?! It’s also fast and has a _reasonably_ good turning radius, but can’t stand hitting an obstacle head-on, as it bounces backwards like a rubber ball then. And it’s long, thus it’s sometimes a bit difficult to manoeuvre in tight spaces. Overall, a good way to end a track and to get that redeeming 1st pos. if you haven’t really managed it with any of the other cars.

No planes yet, because all I have seen have their wingtips disappearing into walls. Extremely ugly effect and a total turn-off for me. Plus some of them have front wheel turning, and as far as I know, all biplanes turn on the ground by turning their _tail_ wheel. Needless to say, I corrected that for myself when trying out the various planes, but still, their collision checking at wingtips is too lousy.

On with the rest of the post <smiles>

MOH, yours is a good overall strategy with ResMod. It’s just that the ResMod 1.00 should really have been included as one of the racing modes in the game. It’s too good to miss (and I’m afraid that not many people know or care to try it at this point...).

Urne, I’m not sure about cars being _more_ complicated – I have no experience in track-making to offer an opinion here. But I do know that cars and tracks compliment each other. Good cars are as important for a great driving experience as good tracks.

/edited to correct a typo/
/edited to correct several mistakes/

Posted: 07 Mar 2010, 14:10
urnemanden
Well that sounds like a nice weird blend of many different cars at one time. I've been searching each of them up on RVZT (except the stock of course) and found around 8 of your 16 custom cars. Your taste is truly very varying, but perhaps that's because you're looking for good or original designs together with original parameters that matches.

I agree with you that there should have been created a new mode after simulation, like "Ultra-Simulation" or something for the ResMod. I only tested this on RC Bandit (Or was it Dr. Grudge?) and I am surprised of how the way the car handles in the air, since it seems to be totally distorted depending on how you took the jump.
Citywalker wrote:Urne, I’m not sure about cars being _more_ complicated – I have no experience in track-making to offer an opinion here. But I do know that cars and tracks compliment each other. Good cars are as important for a great driving experience as good tracks.
Well, I have neither no experience in car-making, my opinion is only based on the huge difference between the Parameters.txt and the .inf file, containing information related to the track. Almost everything else on a track is visual details, if you count the "MAKEITGOOD interface into that" (no text based coding as of what I know).

Posted: 07 Mar 2010, 15:38
Citywalker
Hm. Indeed, as e.g. rvarchive is down, maybe I should upload to RVZT those 8 that are not there. Only I don’t know how to handle the copyright issues in this case. And should I include the original or the modified parameters.txt (I mean the weight additions, etc., not the ResMod thing)...

Posted: 07 Mar 2010, 16:49
miromiro
Re-Volt Archive is not down.

Find it here.

There you go ^_^

Posted: 07 Mar 2010, 19:50
Citywalker
Scratch that, I found all the missing ones elsewhere in the WWW (except Boss 4x4). SuperPeat is actually spelled Super Peat and thus findable on RVZT. And Boss 4x4 could be replaced by Vibe 4x4, which was made specifically as a competition to Boss 4x4 and can be found there: http://www.aliasrevoltmaster.com/dl_nwauv.htm
(I have been utterly unable to find the Boss 4x4 anywhere anymore...)

Others are also on that site:
Caterpillar
(http://www.aliasrevoltmaster.com/dl_nwauc.htm)
Dump-Truck
(http://www.aliasrevoltmaster.com/dl_nwaud.htm)
Soquet
(http://www.aliasrevoltmaster.com/dl_nwaus.htm)
Theta
(http://www.aliasrevoltmaster.com/dl_nwaut.htm)
Theta
(http://www.aliasrevoltmaster.com/dl_nwaut.htm)

Everything else is on RVZT.

Have fun trying them, Urne!

And Miro, thanks for the link! I'll be researhing it.

Posted: 07 Mar 2010, 22:01
jigebren
@Citywalker
Very interesting (and long) post. My point of view is that you don't have to care that much about copyright issues as long as you:
-don't claim that it's your own job
-quote original author's name
-stipulate that you have done some modifications

And you gave me the will to try them all ;) . What about creating a 'Citywalker's selection pack'? including those cars with your modification, and the nice description above?
It could be refreshing when we get bored of the original stock cars, and don't feel like trying all available custom cars to find a balanced - though varied - selection of cars.

Posted: 08 Mar 2010, 09:28
Citywalker
So, I found the last one at the link Miro posted.
BossL4x4
(http://revolt.uuuq.com/files/cars/conve ... ion20.html)

Well, Jigebren, thanks for a good idea. I think I'll do just that. Only I think I will have to make two versions of the upcoming Citywalker's Challenge Pack -- one with ResMod 1.0 and the other with original ResMods. Some people will probably find it too much a challenge to race with ResMod 1.0. What any of you think?

And I will have to edit the description a little, because <shame> I found out that I had _tried_ to increase the Boss's weight but I couldn't because the suspension went flat.

Posted: 08 Mar 2010, 11:14
Citywalker
So. I zipped up the Challenge Pack, and I made a readme for it, but now I need a picture for it if I'm going to upload it to RVZT. Any ideas, guys?

And I decided to just go with the ResMod 1.0 version. It's a challenge, after all. The readme includes a due warning.

Posted: 08 Mar 2010, 21:57
jigebren
Citywalker @ Mar 8 2010, 04:58 AM wrote:Only I think I will have to make two versions of the upcoming Citywalker's Challenge Pack -- one with ResMod 1.0 and the other with original ResMods. Some people will probably find it too much a challenge to race with ResMod 1.0. What any of you think?
Maybe you could release on pack with an appropriate batch file to switch the ResMod 1.0 On/Off. If you don't know how to do, I think some here (including me) can help.
So. I zipped up the Challenge Pack, and I made a readme for it, but now I need a picture for it if I'm going to upload it to RVZT. Any ideas, guys?
The most simple meanwhile satisfactory solution could be to have a screenshot showing all cars... but how? I think you can't have them all in a single race.
If I had a way to download your pack, I could try to import them all in blender, and make a quick render (not sure about the result though).

Posted: 09 Mar 2010, 09:10
Citywalker
Okay, the batch file seems a good idea. I think I can manage to cook it up.

The picture -- I had an idea and took screenshots of all cars in front-end of the game, and made an animated gif of them scrolling through.

Posted: 09 Mar 2010, 10:11
Citywalker
So, the thing is done and I'm uploading it to the RVZT now under the name of Citywalker's Challenge Pack. It includes both the ResMod 1.0 and the original ResMod option, but not as batch files, but as two additional zips that you can unpack in the game's main folder, just like the Pack itself. They overwrite the parameter.txt files with versions having ResMod 1.0 or original ResMods, respectively. I tried the batch file mechanics and the copy command is too restricted to copy subfolders. Oh well, the zip approach works, too, especially seeing that if someone is able to unpack the Pack, they will manage to unpack the option zips as well.

Do read the readme :)

Edit: although I found out that the readme omits the engine type change I made with the Matchbox... Well, I can probably correct it after the Pack has been approved. No need to reupload it before that.

Posted: 10 Mar 2010, 10:42
Citywalker
I also made a topic especially for the Challenge:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Our_ReVolt_P ... topic=1386

The Pack can be downloaded from FilePlanet, until it gets approved at RVZT.
http://www.fileplanet.com/files/210000/210478.shtml