Page 1 of 1
Posted: 25 Oct 2009, 22:55
ADX
Hi all,

I'm glad to come back here.

Due to operating system & hardware incompatibility, I had to leave Re-Volt. It was such a great game for me, but by now, I can't enjoy like when I had my Windows XP with my old hardware. Now I own incompatible hardware so that Re-Volt won't ever run on my computer again.

I'm learning 3D basics and DirectX 10 programming. I want to take the old source code programmed with DirectX 5 and the old VC++ 5.0 and rewrite it with the latest DirectX standard. Maybe OpenGL. Whatever.

So I would like to encourage people interested on this topic to analyze the Re-Volt sources in order to understand the structures used on the game (like .w, .ncp, .prm, and so on...), the game physics, etc...

The aim is to develop a ready-to-use executable with full compatibility with modern computers. No Re-Volt resources (original cars, levels, etc...) will be modified.

As you may know, we are in possession of some papers wrote by the original developers. On them, physics are explained, and other interesting things related to the engine implementation.

So, if there's still people with some initiative, please contact me on this topic.

In any case, I'll examine the code at my own to get a release of the source code working.

Regards,
ADX

PD: I'm working on a forum to talk about all of this.
PD2: Sorry about my english.

Posted: 26 Oct 2009, 02:06
zagames
I'm willing and able to help. My only flaw is that I can't tell myself what to do. I need someone to give me specific tasks.

Posted: 26 Oct 2009, 02:53
human
i cannot help, but i welcome the idea. i hope something will be created.

Posted: 26 Oct 2009, 06:36
zipperrulez
i'll help but i have no idea how to help. i dont know any programming languages, the only thing i know about editing exe's is that you need to keep the length of the strings.
but i do know a ton about revolt. :)

Posted: 26 Oct 2009, 12:02
urnemanden
I'll gladly help, but the nearest my mind gets to programming is batch. I could do some compatibilty tests, tho.

Posted: 26 Oct 2009, 21:41
ADX
Well, that's not only programming.

We need to know how AI nodes work, what visiboxes does, what a car needs to be a car, what do we need to create a world file, and so on...

Regards,
ADX

Posted: 26 Oct 2009, 22:52
ADX
Important new:
I've compiled the Re-Volt sources with DirectX 9 SDK and Visual Studio 9.0 (2008).

That means that conversion from DX6 to DX10 won't be so painful.

Posted: 26 Oct 2009, 23:22
ADX

Posted: 27 Oct 2009, 07:26
zagames
Well, you must know something I don't. I attempted to rebuild it in VB 2008 Express with DX9 and I couldn't find an end to the errors. Fix one and another one takes its place. lol. Way to go.

Posted: 29 Oct 2009, 04:56
Skitch2
I thought that the ReVolt code was incomplete?????

Posted: 29 Oct 2009, 05:18
Killer Wheels
Well... looking at the video, it actually seems to be incomplete :P
Anyway, this little video is very encouraging.

This is a quite cool project so I hope all the best to it. And it's a very good start !
Good luck, 'waiting for news ! ;)

Posted: 29 Oct 2009, 12:41
KDL
I've joined :)
hoping I get a great mark today in maths exam

Posted: 29 Oct 2009, 19:27
ADX
Luck. :D