Page 1 of 1
Posted: 04 Oct 2009, 09:56
Aeon
I want to make some Re-Volt videos that look like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUQM6Eir ... re=related

I've tried doing it with Windows Media Encoder, but I can't seem to get any results that aren't extremely choppy and slow, plus it doesn't seem to want to save most of the time.

How does everyone else who does videos manage to do them?

Posted: 04 Oct 2009, 13:18
urnemanden
Well, usually I use my camcorder to record from screen, but currently my screen is too small, so my recent videos is not as good quality as they could be.

Other people uses Fraps to record, but normally theese kind of programs slows your computer down alot if you don't have any fast PC or didn't mix any settings up in the program yet.

Posted: 05 Oct 2009, 04:47
chriselston
Fraps is one of the best ways to record your gameplay videos. There is only one downside to this, and that is to have a fast machine. Fraps will act up while and after your recording session. Here is a good spec sheet to have a nice and smooth recording session:
-CPU: 1 GHz and above
-Memory At least triple your video card's memory. (256MB = good, 512MB = great)
-Video Card: Video card supporting T&L
-Video Card Memory: 64MB SDR (64MB DDR recommended)

Posted: 05 Oct 2009, 05:49
human
fraps seems to be good, however i think you need a stronger config that whats described by chris, for comparison i have the following pc and i can take video with fraps with the following max quality settings:

cpu 2600 MHz
memory 768 MB DDR II
video nvidia 6600 EL 256 MB

max quality:
half size video (half the revolt screen resolution)
30 frame per second
no sound recorded

if i increase any of the above, the video will be laggy at least for a few seconds here and there.

be also prepared for huge files coming out from fraps, a 2 minutes video with the above settings can be way over 1 gigabite. once you have the raw .avi or whatever, you can compress it to decrease the size.

Posted: 05 Oct 2009, 10:11
Aeon
I have a 2.4ghz with a 128mb graphics card, a fairly old Nvidia, and 2gb of RAM. I don't have a registered version of Fraps either so I'd end up with a watermark.

I've tried a few different programs, but so far one of them didn't work for Re-Volt, and the other one just didn't work, period. I hate downloading and having to uninstall garbage programs. Windows Media Encoder is just so unbelievably slow and awkward that it doesn't seem reasonable to be able to do anything with it.

I'd be content recording Re-Volt at 640x480x16 setting with the _inmm.dll background music playing. You think I can manage that with Fraps and my computer's specs?

I might have to settle for trying to talk someone else into recording them for me, but then I wouldn't get any nice techno background music or roaring engine sounds.

Posted: 05 Oct 2009, 14:34
human
640x480x16 with 25-30 fps is just doable on my computer, you have a slower cpu and less video memory, but much more ram, so i am guessing that if you were recording with fraps you could have that resolution recorded. i think it depends on the actual track and number of cars as well, wherever revolt itself has some difficulties with a track and the frame rate drops, that will affect the video obviously. im not an expert by the way, i havent done many videos and never uploaded anything to youtube or anywhere else.
i know, nothing worse than installing awkward little softwares, i hate that, many of them give up even during the installation, or just doesnt run, others are slow and so on. im talking generally, didnt actually try many for video recording. i dont know which is a good free or cheap one for this kind of task. if fraps puts a watermark at the end, i would be ok with that, if its on during the whole movie, that can be annoying. well, they probably display it from the start, otherwise it could be easily removed. try to find an alternative prog on the web, or if you are ok with progs got from friends i can send my registered version via email.

Posted: 05 Oct 2009, 22:03
urnemanden
You may try use more farce fields on the track if you are going to record while you play. This way you might be able to prevent lacking.

Posted: 06 Oct 2009, 02:49
zipperrulez
i can pass you a link to the registered version, just ask.
no virus either, its legit.

Posted: 24 Oct 2009, 05:34
chriselston
My specs are even lower than this, and I record without lag! I recorded NFS4 video gameplay without the slightest bit of lag. Check it out here.

Edit: The pause points were CPU holdups created by Sony Vegas. It's the footage that stopped the gameplay, not the machine. So, please do not try to be a "$M4R7 4$$" please.

Not trying to be mean, and no offense to anyone... ;)

I don't believe in cursing.

Posted: 24 Oct 2009, 08:02
human
nice driving on the video chris :)

Posted: 24 Oct 2009, 08:10
Aeon
And what did you use to record with your lower specs? And are your sure you're not using a dual/quad core?

Posted: 25 Oct 2009, 01:03
chriselston
I am using this:

And This:

AMD Athlon is a single core and is enhanced with 3Dnow!.

Video card is actually ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 7500.

And they're not exactly lower.... :P

Posted: 25 Oct 2009, 02:02
Aeon
What software are you using to record with?

Posted: 25 Oct 2009, 03:00
chriselston
It was the fraps registered version. I bought my copy, and didn't use warez, like zipper probably did. :o :o :o

Posted: 25 Oct 2009, 04:25
zipperrulez
indeed i did, anyway i am running the same specs as chris but i have 2.0 ghz

Posted: 25 Oct 2009, 05:10
Aeon
It sounds like Fraps handles things much more smoothly than most of the other software.

Posted: 25 Oct 2009, 07:09
chriselston
Yes, Fraps does handle the best when your machine is up to it. Although Intel processors have a higher clock, AMD is best chosen for gaming. The 3dNow technology in AMD gives a slight FPS boost in nearly all games (some have exceptions). Another way you can record is to buy a compatible video card with either a DVI input or a S-VIDEO input and buy one of these:

Easycap USB Recorder:

Pinnacle "Dazzle" USB Recorder:

After that, buy one of these:

3.5mm jack to RCA connector:

Then plug in accordingly. And there ya go!
:D

For the sake of DVI, devices such as this were made, then plug into the recording USB device:

Hope this helps!!! :) :) :)

Posted: 25 Oct 2009, 12:29
Aeon
Only problem is I have this little thing about spending money on games... Including making videos of them. :P Part of the reason why I play Re-Volt. It was free.

Posted: 25 Oct 2009, 15:34
nero
Lol,why not jst use a webcam or a...video camera?

Posted: 25 Oct 2009, 15:41
urnemanden
It requires a quite big screen to get a HD video of Re-Volt with a videocamera.

Posted: 26 Oct 2009, 04:06
Aeon
urnemanden @ Oct 25 2009, 02:11 AM wrote: It requires a quite big screen to get a HD video of Re-Volt with a videocamera.
It also requires a webcam or a video camera.

Plus they kinda make crappy videos.

Posted: 26 Oct 2009, 09:33
Cat
Aeon @ Oct 25 2009, 07:36 PM wrote:
urnemanden @ Oct 25 2009, 02:11 AM wrote: It requires a quite big screen to get a HD video of Re-Volt with a videocamera.
It also requires a webcam or a video camera.

Plus they kinda make crappy videos.
I use a video camera to record my PSX replays from the TV and later submit them to YouTube.

Posted: 26 Oct 2009, 12:39
nero
CamStudio may be free but it's trash...it's good with flash games but NOT these type of games,for sure.
Your best bet is Fraps,if your PC is up to it,but if ur PC does not afford it and really want to make a vid,buy a webcam or something and record it like that.

Posted: 27 Oct 2009, 06:13
chriselston
For Pete's sake, CamStudio and HyperCam shall never be brought up again. They are used to record tutorials, not Re-Volt videos............ :angry:

Additional Edit: Webcams are used to deliver a live streaming image of a person over to someone else over the web, not of shooting Re-Volt videos...............

Posted: 29 Oct 2009, 01:33
zipperrulez
true chris, fraps is your best bet at revolt videos, or game video in general.
its the best.