Page 1 of 1
Posted: 16 Jul 2009, 17:17
SkindupTruk
Hi again all,

its been about 6 months since i've tuned into revolt pub, good to see people are still into it!

i hope to find a little more time soon to keep working on some scripts to help make tracks for revolt, using freely available 3D programs and writing open source VBS files so everyone can see what's going on.

here are a few notes about what i've learnt so far - maybe it will help someone interested in mapping:

* W world files are what you see and it's a big mesh file with texture uv mapping. they include funnyballs at the end to assist rendering performance but only the stock tracks use these properly, i think most custom tracks just have one big funnyball which might limit the game performance (not sure)

* NCP files are the track surface collision files and are defined as a set of planes defined by their normals. define one main plane then the other clipping planes to be left with a small tile. again there is a kind of grid that might assist collision checking performance and stock tracks make use of this. custom tracks i haven't checked.

* PRM files are standalone mesh files, using the same mesh format as world files. however they are instances and can be placed around the world by the FIN file.

* FIN file contains the name of the PRM and the xyz of where to put it and a rotation matrix to spin it into position

* FOB file is similar to the FIN file but it positions objects. the FOB file uses an object index which i think is defined directly inside the revolt.exe binary, as it contains a list of object files that seemed to be in the right order. ie. the sprinkler in the nhood track was numbered at say 16 and it was the 16th object listed in the revolt.exe file

i am less certain about the following info, my colleague knows more about them, please correct me if i'm wrong:

* FAN files contain AI nodes. from memory i think the format was just in pairs of nodes defined in xyz coords but i didn't look into it much. sometimes the path can split and rejoin.

* PAN files might be the player track distance line. ie. tells you how many meters to the end of the track and to other players. again i think the path can split and rejoin.

* TAZ files are track zone files and might be to help the game reposition you when you go off course and outside the zone. also to make sure you didn't take a shortcut, you must go thru each zone in order.

* LIT file are light files but i know very little about these

* ?SOUND? files, can't remember what they are called but i think there is a file that sets up sounds. ie. in nhood there is a sound of birds and of kids playing.

thats all i can think of for now. i did get a lot of help from the ali / perror site to begin with. others have described these files before. however i'm not trying to repeat what they have done, just give my own opinion about what i think these files do.

note that with some initial help from the ali info, i have learnt most of these things from my scripts that convert the revolt binary files into plain text, and simply looking at these and plotting them in a 3d program. it's quite interesting as there is a challenge to guess what each piece of info might mean, and to try and form a pattern in the data.

so far i have put more work into converting the binary into text, and looking at the results, and not much work into making the process work in reverse. that is to make edits to the plain text and convert it back to binary for revolt to use. i did do this for the car HUL files about 6 months ago, and thanks for the positive feedback for that.

so to finish this post i'd like to ask where to focus effort? my idea is to work on the texture mapping problem since that is where some people have asked questions. as above this info is in the W world file, which is the first file i started working on way back in late 2008 when i first got interested in this whole business! i just wanted to see what the world file looked like in 3D with full textures (i put up a bunch of pics in the snug) and i got hooked on learning about each type of file after that! :)

Posted: 16 Jul 2009, 18:40
SkindupTruk
More on the software referred to previously if you want to try it out...

The toolbar and RhinoScript will work with Rhinoceros 4.0 Service Release 3 (or later).

You will need:
- Rhinoceros 4.0 SR3 (or later)
- revolt.rvb
- revolt.tb

1. Rhinoceros 4.0

If you don't have Rhinoceros 4.0, you can download Rhinoceros 4.0 evaluation version from http://www.rhino3d.com/download.htm. The evaluation version is a fully functional, but only gives 25 saves. The running the scripts does not use up the 25 saves, the script reads and writes its own text and binary files. Rhinoceros is MS Windows software.

2. RhinoScript and Toolbar

Download: These files must reside in the same folder.

3. Installation

After installing, run Rhino4 and open the toolbar either by Tools > Toolbar Layout... and then File > Open or by dragging the revolt.tb file into the Rhino window. Provided the revolt.rvb file is in the same folder, the RhinoScript should run.

4. For more info on what the tools do, read the WIP ReadMe.txt.

Let me know how you go.

Posted: 16 Jul 2009, 18:51
nero
Hey,there!

I dont know you,but tell me the link to the HUL maker file,please!

Thanks,

Nero

Posted: 16 Jul 2009, 19:47
urnemanden
I think the funnyballs inside the Wfile could be interesting. Smooth performance and good quality is what I am looking for :)

Posted: 16 Jul 2009, 20:47
nero
urnemanden @ Jul 16 2009, 03:17 PM wrote: I think the funnyballs inside the Wfile could be interesting. Smooth performance and good quality is what I am looking for :)
Me too...especially for .hul files!

Good luck on your programs!

Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 04:22
zagames
Nero : http://z3.invisionfree.com/Our_ReVolt_P ... topic=1135

Good to see you back skindup, I have already started working on sweveral custom hul files. They're just a little difficult to understand at first. heh.

Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 05:48
zipperrulez
por are portals but they remain unknown as well, the only usage for them is with rvglue, ali made it read from the por file because its useless, or so we think.
tri is for triggers. and i guess that leaves ace for the 3d sounds.

Posted: 17 Jul 2009, 22:22
human
sounds interesting learning more about funnyballs, im wondering what they actually are, apart from being balls that are apparently funny for some reason.

Posted: 21 Jul 2009, 20:24
nero
The portals are used for the program called MkMirror.
With that,can make polys transparent and reflective.
You should use the Red Portal for that.

Thanks for the link Zach!

Posted: 24 Jul 2009, 02:39
Skitch2
The portal tool in combination with mkmirror only reverses the polys on the vertical plane, the transparency is done in your chosen editor.

So when you say" edit the text and reverse it to use in RV" What is it you think you can do??? Is this another way to alter Re-Volt without all this sorce code rubbish??
Coz My interest in Re-Volt will jump to an all time high if this is the case.
Thanks...
Mike....

Posted: 25 Jul 2009, 04:14
zagames
I'm really interested in how to make animated polygons such as in museum 2 and the toyworld tracks. Darksabre knows, but it isn't really understandable by anyone else. hehe.

Posted: 25 Jul 2009, 22:18
SkindupTruk
Skitch2 @ Jul 24 2009, 08:09 AM wrote: The portal tool in combination with mkmirror only reverses the polys on the vertical plane, the transparency is done in your chosen editor.

So when you say" edit the text and reverse it to use in RV" What is it you think you can do??? Is this another way to alter Re-Volt without all this sorce code rubbish??
Coz My interest in Re-Volt will jump to an all time high if this is the case.
Thanks...
Mike....
the short answer is "yes" - although the code is a work in progress, and i am aware i need a user guide to help people get started. i'm thinking of making some Wink animated tutorials for each step.

check out what the hull file converter does, link is above. what i plan to do next is make a hull file exporter and make a tutorial to show the below steps one by one on how to make a hull file from scratch, or edit an existing one.

the overall idea:

1. grab the revolt binary files, and convert them to plain text (using VBS)
2. import into my 3d modeler of choice eg Rhino (using VBS)
3. do 3d stuff, add / delete points, lines and surfaces, scale, rotate, etc (using Rhino)
4. export my 3d model as plain text (using VBS)
5. convert the plain text back into revolt binary (using VBS)
6. replace the old files and revolt shouldn't know the difference and you have a modified level / instance / car / whatever

with the code linked above, i have been able to make a very simple track W file and NCP file from scratch, with just point and click 3d modeling in Rhino. note import and export is also just clicking the Rhino toolbar icons (tutorials will show this).

however i'm still working on the more advanced things like funnyballs and there is a type of grid that does the same thing for the NCP file (i think).

for the record, this all started when i simply wanted to see what the stock tracks looked like in 3d all textured up. i finally got that working, and put up pics in the snug area, but that was really just an import operation. i then thought about exporting and here we are...

Posted: 25 Jul 2009, 22:52
zagames
Before you get working on this skindup, another member is already working on a 3-D tool to work with your hull editor. It is coming along quite nicely and I think he'll be finished with it by the end of the month.

Posted: 25 Jul 2009, 23:16
SkindupTruk
zagames @ Jul 26 2009, 04:22 AM wrote:Before you get working on this skindup, another member is already working on a 3-D tool to work with your hull editor.  It is coming along quite nicely and I think he'll be finished with it by the end of the month.
oh ok, cool!

i'll focus on the tutorials then :)

Posted: 19 Oct 2012, 00:04
gdfsgdfg
this is awesome, but why no fob or cam files :(