Page 1 of 1
Posted: 15 Jul 2009, 21:15
urnemanden
Hello,

Since I have another game which requires a CD (and since I don't want to use 1207) I would like to have both CD's running some way. I heard something about the so called CD-Images, but I just bought myself an external harddisk and thought that I might would be able to copy the CD content to it and use that copy instead of using my RV CD's. Do you know if that is possible?

Posted: 15 Jul 2009, 21:17
Aylown
I believe it is not urne

Easier to create and to use a CD image ;)

Posted: 15 Jul 2009, 22:35
urnemanden
hmm... I don't like CD Images because you have to use software to make them :/

Posted: 16 Jul 2009, 12:14
nero
You have Nero,right?
That is able to use an Image Recorder to make and .nrg file.
After that,open ImageDrive.
Unban it,and ignore every warning.
Then,in ImageDrive,enable a recorder,then import the .nrg file.
You can import image files with other tools too like Daemon Tools,PowerISO,Alcohol 120%,etc...

Hope this helps,

Nero

Posted: 16 Jul 2009, 12:44
urnemanden
....As previously mentioned I don't want to use software I don't have. But after trying copy the whole Re-Volt CD to the harddisk I can tell that it didn't work.

Posted: 16 Jul 2009, 14:52
Piereligio
A simple program to write CDs and ISO is the freeware CDBurnerXP.

Posted: 16 Jul 2009, 15:16
urnemanden
First of all, What I am asking for Piereligio is if there is any way I can make Re-Volt think that my external harddisk is the Re-Volt CD. Second of all, I will say now for the 3rd time that I don't want to use any software to do anything. I only want to know if it is possible to copy the whole Re-Volt CD over to my other harddisk and hope that Re-Volt then will work without CD. Like if my harddisk was a virtual drive.

Posted: 14 Aug 2009, 20:02
chriselston
I believe using a program is the only way to go. You'll have to rewrite the autorun program to find the specified files in your HDD directory, or find a pass-by.

Posted: 14 Aug 2009, 21:41
sjampo
Simply use Daemon Tools + Re-Volt mini image. That way you can use Re-Volt without the cdrom, and with patch 0918.

Posted: 14 Aug 2009, 22:09
chriselston
sjampo @ Aug 14 2009, 05:11 PM wrote: Simply use Daemon Tools + Re-Volt mini image. That way you can use Re-Volt without the cdrom, and with patch 0918.
Mini-image, as with the necessary files to boot the game? Yes I know, but you said with the patch 0918, that means music too?

Posted: 14 Aug 2009, 23:04
nero
sjampo @ Aug 14 2009, 05:11 PM wrote: Simply use Daemon Tools + Re-Volt mini image. That way you can use Re-Volt without the cdrom, and with patch 0918.
Where is the 0918 patch?
I've only heard of the 0916 patch...

Posted: 15 Aug 2009, 01:34
zipperrulez
he means 0916.

Posted: 15 Aug 2009, 09:16
Adamodell
I find it hilarious when people object to installing a single friggin' program on their PC. Windows doesn't do it all, and sure as heck Linux doesn't either.

1. Having a program installed isn't going to noticeably (or even at all) slow down your computer. Adults keep mixing up RAM and hard drive space. More programs RUNNING, yes, a computer will be slower. Most of the speed drops from installing craploads of software is disc fragmentation and a longer drive seek time. Just make good judgement, and don't install the world on your computer (well, beside Google Earth is good enough for that :))
2. If you know what you're doing, freeware tools do that stuff. Most are under are just over a few megs and are very simple, and might as well be OS integrated tools as small as they are. I'm getting sick of people recommending shareware for things they don't even need it for. Nero's good, but you don't need something that killer to make a disc image and mount it.
3. Really I just wouldn't worry about this. You have to make a bin/cue or nrg or something if you want the music, ISOs can only have one track. Virtual CloneDrive is a good free virtual CD drive emulator. I think it can load those formats and I think it works on Vista. To make the image, well, you're on your own, haha. You need to learn how to use Google better. Anyway, someone probably already recommended you a ripping program that doesn't suck.

Posted: 15 Aug 2009, 11:28
urnemanden
Well Adam, it's nice to hear some informtation and recommendation, but as I previously said I don't want to install software just to be able to run Re-Volt without the CD.

Posted: 15 Aug 2009, 18:20
chriselston
One question, are you trying to run revolt without the cd, but with the music?

Posted: 15 Aug 2009, 18:24
urnemanden
Well yes, I am trying to save my CD from getting scratched some day, so if I could have all the CD content to an external harddisk and still run Re-Volt using patch 1906 I would do it.

Posted: 15 Aug 2009, 18:33
chriselston
Hmm. It seems you'll have to do one of the following:

1. Make the disc into an ISO, then burn it onto a blank disc.
2. Find a workaround for the SECUdisc protection.

Posted: 15 Aug 2009, 20:12
urnemanden
Or you could just answer me: No Urne, it won't work copying the whole Re-Volt CD over to the external harddisk. ;)

Posted: 17 Aug 2009, 06:19
Adamodell
I don't get why you're so opposed to installing things.

Posted: 17 Aug 2009, 06:25
zipperrulez
urnemanden @ Aug 15 2009, 03:42 PM wrote: Or you could just answer me: No Urne, it won't work copying the whole Re-Volt CD over to the external harddisk. ;)
No Urne, it won't work copying the whole Re-Volt CD over to the external harddisk.

:P :D

Posted: 18 Aug 2009, 01:41
Piereligio
It's simple. If you have installed Re-Volt on your HD (not external) u can open the Programs folder of your PC, and copy the Acclaim Entertaiment or the Re-Volt folder, and paste it on your external HD, if u haven't installed it you can install Re-Volt on the external Hard Disk, when the installer ask the folder where u want install. If you want play Re-Volt with an other PC, u can extract the registry key of Re-Volt and paste it in the external HD. Before, you have to decrease the resolution of the game and close it. If not you can't play Re-Volt in the Pc with lower resolution. Bye! ;)

Posted: 18 Aug 2009, 16:57
urnemanden
FACT: The only real answer to my real question is ZIPPERRULE'Z ;)

Posted: 18 Aug 2009, 20:21
Piereligio
Ooh you want to install Re-Volt from a external HD, copying the image... it isn't possible. Or you install Re-Volt manually...

Posted: 18 Aug 2009, 21:33
nero
Urne,you are making NO SENSE AT ALL...
Since NONE of our suggestions are good enough for Urne,i think this was enough.
The topics primary question was answered,close this topic please.

Nero

Posted: 18 Aug 2009, 22:36
zipperrulez
he doesnt want to use software, so there is no way possible.

Posted: 18 Aug 2009, 23:01
TheMeandMe
so... what happens if you copy the cd to your external drive. and afterwards install it from there? wouldnt it maybe make the setup thing write something in the registry to make revolt think it was installed from there, so this "there" (your external drive) would be your cd drive, which its not?

i have no idea if that might work or not.

cause im using the patch. which i find curious that you dont. but okay. to each his own.

Posted: 18 Aug 2009, 23:55
urnemanden
Interesting thought TMAM. But I never really saw any registry file inside regedit that might would refer to the CD drive.

The reason to I am using 1906 is just because I want to stay CD'ed. The quality of the music is as high as it could be and that's just fine with me, and also - I got 4 CD's anway.

Posted: 19 Aug 2009, 01:00
nero
urnemanden @ Aug 18 2009, 07:25 PM wrote: Interesting thought TMAM. But I never really saw any registry file inside regedit that might would refer to the CD drive.

The reason to I am using 1906 is just because I want to stay CD'ed. The quality of the music is as high as it could be and that's just fine with me, and also - I got 4 CD's anway.
So then my final conclusion to Urne:

No Software,No CD Image. :D

Intresting thought btw TMAM.

I've ran RV with a CD Image before,everything worked but the championship. :(

Anyways,that's all for now.

Nero

Posted: 19 Aug 2009, 11:47
arto
TheMeandMe @ Aug 18 2009, 06:31 PM wrote:so... what happens if you copy the cd to your external drive. and afterwards install it from there? wouldnt it maybe make the setup thing write something in the registry to make revolt think it was installed from there, so this "there" (your external drive) would be your cd drive, which its not?

i have no idea if that might work or not.

cause im using the patch. which i find curious that you dont. but okay. to each his own.
It won't work because of the copy protection - Re-Volt expects a CD and does checks for it's existence. It's not a matter of doing simple check if the files are there.

The copy protection is also the reason why just copying the files over to hard disk will not work. If Urne is hell bent on not using any programs so that it would work, the only solution is for Urne to hack the Re-Volt executable.

Here's what you have to do Urne:

- Remove the copy protection from revolt.exe.
- Hack revolt.exe to find access the files not from cdrom but from your external harddrive.
- Copy the contents to your external harddrive.
- Launch your hacked revolt.exe
- Success!

Posted: 19 Aug 2009, 12:14
urnemanden
Now that was the answer I wanted to hear. Thanks!

Posted: 19 Aug 2009, 13:23
KDL
I've downloaded ISOs before and mounted them using 'Virtual CloneDrive'

I play the games from the hardware, the performance is better than in CDs

Just try to find an ISO maker (free one of course) and mount it using a mounter, the ISO will keep the CDs info, even the SecuROM lock

Posted: 21 Aug 2009, 23:01
TheMeandMe
arto @ Aug 19 2009, 08:17 AM wrote: [...]
It won't work because of the copy protection - Re-Volt expects a CD and does checks for it's existence. It's not a matter of doing simple check if the files are there.
[...]
:D
thought my solution sounded too easy to work. never wanted to try any of it anywhere, either used a patch or an image for the games i wanted to play without disc so far.
thanks for the information! :)