Page 1 of 1
Posted: 17 Jan 2009, 09:12
Cat
which is the ideal top speed for a Pro car to make it driveable? 65 can be?

plus an image of a wip

By cat7777777

i will include other colours

Posted: 17 Jan 2009, 09:24
Adamodell
Cat @ Jan 17 2009, 04:42 AM wrote: which is the ideal top speed for a Pro car to make it driveable? 65 can be?

plus an image of a wip

By cat7777777

i will include other colours
I like that.

I don't know, the fastest I ever really go on my cars is fifty, obvious exception being that Chaparral. I think 60-65 is really fine, especially when we have cars that go twice that now.

Posted: 17 Jan 2009, 09:40
Cat
Thanks

I will try to finish the car before february 9th

Posted: 17 Jan 2009, 12:02
Aeon
In case you missed it in the other post, Cougar is just about the fasted top speed car in the original game and it tops out at just over 43 mph. Some other cars like Panga might be faster but I haven't checked, however if you think 65 is okay for a Pro car then you're nuts.

To balance well with the stock cars, a Pro car should not exceed 45 mph and any car that can reach that speed should either be lacking in the acceleration department or exceedingly difficult to handle. Generally speaking I would say that 40 mph is a good speed for Pro cars. Also keep in mind that factoring in power, drag and axle friction, the vehicle's attainable top speed will not be the same as its TopEnd value. Make sure you test drive the car to find out its actual top speed.

The answer to everything is test driving. Have a separate installation of Re-Volt with nothing but stock cars and throw your car into the mix. If you can beat all the other cars using your car more easily than you can with a stock car, or you can set lap records that are notably better than the stock cars, then it needs to be toned down. Even minor 1-2 mph speed advantages can mess up the balance.

Or you can throw another crappy 50-65 mph car into the pool and totally ruin the balance of the game like every other careless car designer does. Most cars are only good for posing in screenshots anyway.

(PS, I think the wheels would look better without the transparency. Sweet ride otherwise.)

Posted: 17 Jan 2009, 17:54
Adamodell
Aeon @ Jan 17 2009, 07:32 AM wrote: In case you missed it in the other post, Cougar is just about the fasted top speed car in the original game and it tops out at just over 43 mph. Some other cars like Panga might be faster but I haven't checked, however if you think 65 is okay for a Pro car then you're nuts.

To balance well with the stock cars, a Pro car should not exceed 45 mph and any car that can reach that speed should either be lacking in the acceleration department or exceedingly difficult to handle. Generally speaking I would say that 40 mph is a good speed for Pro cars. Also keep in mind that factoring in power, drag and axle friction, the vehicle's attainable top speed will not be the same as its TopEnd value. Make sure you test drive the car to find out its actual top speed.

The answer to everything is test driving. Have a separate installation of Re-Volt with nothing but stock cars and throw your car into the mix. If you can beat all the other cars using your car more easily than you can with a stock car, or you can set lap records that are notably better than the stock cars, then it needs to be toned down. Even minor 1-2 mph speed advantages can mess up the balance.

Or you can throw another crappy 50-65 mph car into the pool and totally ruin the balance of the game like every other careless car designer does. Most cars are only good for posing in screenshots anyway.

(PS, I think the wheels would look better without the transparency. Sweet ride otherwise.)
Well yeah if you take that into account, it is quite nuts. It's... like 30% faster than a regular pro at those speeds. I won't disagree to that. It's just a ton of customs go much faster than that, especially Iron Bob's, so I think any form of self-limiting just didn't go through. I personally think 65 is fine and anything above it's pretty much just crazy.

Posted: 17 Jan 2009, 23:44
Aeon
Iron Bob's and many other cars are considered "Super-Pro", which in reality just means they're too fast for the stock cars to keep up with. I sincerely hope you don't base your parameters on those cars thinking that they're fine for the Pro category.

And once again, just because other people are careless about the parameters they assign to their cars, doesn't mean you should be too. The question was "which is the ideal top speed for a Pro car", not a Super-Pro car. If you're not going to base your ideals on the stock cars, then this whole question is moot.

Posted: 18 Jan 2009, 03:55
Adamodell
Aeon @ Jan 17 2009, 07:14 PM wrote: Iron Bob's and many other cars are considered "Super-Pro", which in reality just means they're too fast for the stock cars to keep up with. I sincerely hope you don't base your parameters on those cars thinking that they're fine for the Pro category.

And once again, just because other people are careless about the parameters they assign to their cars, doesn't mean you should be too. The question was "which is the ideal top speed for a Pro car", not a Super-Pro car. If you're not going to base your ideals on the stock cars, then this whole question is moot.
Well then Cat's can be the same "too fast for other cars to keep up with".
And I never made cars much faster than the upper 40's, there are a few exceptions. I do know that is faster than the Pros but it's really not too bad and some of my RWD cars handle badly enough that it's evened out.

I can't argue against you, because pretty much all you said was true anyway...

Posted: 18 Jan 2009, 08:27
Cat
Conclusion for me: my next car will have multiple params: Pro (to face up fairly the stock pack), Super-Pro (for speed addicts) and other with some special intention (like a drift setup).

PS: what about a V2 for my Cat G5 with some fixes? (such as the wheel's top going trough the body mesh, better AI) i wonder since the time i did a V2 it become the most undetected car in RVZT.

Posted: 02 Feb 2009, 00:53
Cat
here's a problem i have with the wip
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1543 ... 095cf0.png
when the car enters to a corner or sometimes when it is going trough it, does a 90ยบ spin or oversteers and smashes the inner wall.

EDIT: forgot to specify that the problem is the AI

Posted: 02 Feb 2009, 03:36
Aeon
The car only does a spin when the AI is driving it??

I'm assuming the car spins out normally on a sharp turn, since the AI can't do anything that the car can't do.

Posted: 02 Feb 2009, 03:37
Manmountain
I assume you mean the AI cars are spinning out at certain corners, yes ?

The problem sounds like the track AI nodes that are approaching and during the corner are set incorrectly.
Cars should brake in a straight line before the corner, then need to take the corner at a limited speed (actual speed depends on sharpness/how tight the corner is), if you try and make cars brake while turning most cars will spin out or over steer.

Posted: 02 Feb 2009, 05:52
Cat
Manmountain @ Feb 1 2009, 07:07 PM wrote: I assume you mean the AI cars are spinning out at certain corners, yes ?

The problem sounds like the track AI nodes that are approaching and during the corner are set incorrectly.
Cars should brake in a straight line before the corner, then need to take the corner at a limited speed (actual speed depends on sharpness/how tight the corner is), if you try and make cars brake while turning most cars will spin out or over steer.
Yes

So, you mean the problem is the lego track's preset ai nodes?

Posted: 02 Feb 2009, 06:12
Manmountain
Cat @ Feb 2 2009, 01:22 AM wrote:So, you mean the problem is the lego track's preset ai nodes?
If you are only using the default AI nodes as laid by the lego editor, then YES, that is your main problem.

They need to be tweaked to give the best all round AI challenge.

Posted: 19 Feb 2009, 05:19
Cat
i've finally found a solution to the oversteering problem when slowing down in corners pasting the AMW's wheel static/kinetic friction values.