Page 1 of 1
Posted: 29 Dec 2008, 19:56
RV Ravens
I have 3ds, and zmod but how do i get a model created in 3ds into re-volt so i can test it?
And is there any difference between a Original WITH wheels, and the ones that "float" in the air?

Any help or tutorials would be great!

Posted: 29 Dec 2008, 23:10
urnemanden
there exist a tool named "ase2w" & "ase2prm". Download the tools here. Unzip all tools, and go to the foler named "doc". In here you can find information about everything you need to export you model to revolt. i hope this helped you ;)

I am not sure exactly what you mean. Please explain this further :)

Posted: 31 Dec 2008, 07:00
Adamodell
The only difference with wheeled and non-wheeled cars is this...

Wheel models aren't needed at all, obviously... they aren't loaded or called from the parameters.txt at the top part that has all the directory info.

In the wheels section, the wheels are disabled with a negative one "-1" in the model number section of that.

The Mystery is a good example...
MODEL  0  "cars\Q\body.prm"
MODEL  1  "NONE"
MODEL  2  "NONE"
MODEL  3  "NONE"
MODEL  4  "NONE"
MODEL  5  "NONE"
MODEL  6  "NONE"
Notice how there is only one model in the models list. The ModelNum variable takes that number and looks at the corresponding models for a file name to load for each object. Since there is only a body on the Mystery, that is all that is needed.

Since obviously this car was made for no wheels in mind, it has ModelNum set to -1 for the objects that don't have corresponding prm models for. If, for example, you left the wheels as ModelNum 1 and 2, and the directory was set to none, the car would crash as it was done loading with the track. The car doesn't crash in the menu, but a really odd and funny behavior occurs... all the wheel models are replaced with the only model, the body. So you have a body with 4 outer bodies in the positioning of the wheels. Obviously unwanted behavior!

This is what needs to be set to negative one...
WHEEL 0 {  ; Start Wheel
ModelNum  -1
You see that -1? That means that the game doesn't try to look for a model for the wheels, they are thus, nonexistent. If the wheel models were set to their defaults of 1 and 2, it'd look at the directory "NONE" and then give you a heartwarming crash. -1, means that it ignores the model numbers and directories, it's like a NUL, so to speak.

WHEEL 0 through WHEEL 3 will all need to have their ModelNum set to -1. This rule applies for all models, that's how cars have spinners and stuff disabled with a -1. You could actually disable the body too, but that's near pointless.

As for Urne's response to question #1, he sees things that way because he is a track maker lol, ase2prm wasn't really adequate for me, the vertex normals are horrible regardless of what smoothing I use. And I couldn't get transparency to work :(

The way I get stuff from 3ds to Re-Volt, I export it as a 3ds file, import into ZMod and work from there, exporting the prm in ZMod.

Posted: 03 Jan 2009, 00:57
RV Ravens
I tried to import it, but the extension is .max (which isn't supported by Zmod)

Are there any other ways, or is there a way to convert .max to .3ds?

(Already tried many programs to convert .max to .3ds but none of them worked..)

Posted: 03 Jan 2009, 01:28
Adamodell
RV Ravens @ Jan 2 2009, 08:27 PM wrote: I tried to import it, but the extension is .max (which isn't supported by Zmod)

Are there any other ways, or is there a way to convert .max to .3ds?

(Already tried many programs to convert .max to .3ds but none of them worked..)
Yeah, that's a brick wall for you.
Another problem, different Max files won't open in certain versions of Max.

I don't currently have Max installed, so you can't really send it to me to export it as a 3ds for you to mess with it. That's if I understood properly.

hilaire9 might be able help. hopefully the file could open in Max 5.

If I misunderstood, hopefully someone else got it. :P

Posted: 31 Jan 2009, 20:35
SkindupTruk
i'm not sure what he means either.

since i'm planning to look at the .hull files and the .prm files for cars, you can send your creation to me on email, and i'll try to convert it for you. send your textures as well.

i use Rhino which can read 3ds, and from there, i can create the game binary files needed directly using vbscript.

on a side note, i'm going to try and create some tools for people that will edit .hull files, and edit .fin instance position files, in a plain text format. a 3d Rhino interface will come later - you guys seem to have mastered plain text editing anyway.

Posted: 01 Mar 2009, 02:51
miromiro
what patch need i to make original cars? and give me a tutorial...please

Posted: 02 Mar 2009, 07:25
zipperrulez

trying to make a future car and failing lol
my third original.
if you have a max file, yeah like adam said your screwed.
miromiro there is a tut here:
http://rva.sportplanet.gamespy.com/tuts ... torial.htm

i dont use it, but maybe you can get something from it.