Page 1 of 1
Posted: 16 Dec 2008, 14:28
Aeon
Given that my part of the world is currently covered with ice and snow, I thought it fitting to work on a sequel for my Aspiria track. While there aren't a whole lot of dramatic sights given that it is basically a huge track set amidst mounds of snow, there are some unique or interesting aspects to take note of.

First of all, this track is unique in that, to my knowledge, its the only track that bridges the gap between a lego-extreme and a pure extreme. That's because the track pieces themselves are created with the lego editor, exported as PRMs courtesy of RVglue, and then arranged as an extreme track. This way it breaches the size limitations that would normally be imposed on a lego-extreme. That's how the track is able to reach 1700 meters while only crossing over itself once, and without any sharp U-turns.

Other than that and lots of boost arrows, a disgustingly difficult AI given you're driving my POD cars, and a rather nice cave (see the last screen shot), there's not much else to tell. Check it out for yourself:

Download

Posted: 16 Dec 2008, 18:40
urnemanden
Looks like a very nice track. Some icebergs and snowmen could do the track more interresting i think ;)

Posted: 17 Dec 2008, 00:22
Aeon
Okay, its uploaded now and you can try it out. My record so far is 3:21, and my best finishing position is 5th place on a 12/3 race. Tell me if you can beat that.

Download

Posted: 17 Dec 2008, 04:15
Killer Wheels
Aeon @ Dec 16 2008, 09:58 AM wrote:the world is currently covered with ice and snow
Well, that's right. Very good job there.
But why can't I drive on ice, then ?? Oh no !
I was waiting for a place where a bridge was broken or something...
Maybe I'm asking too much, but this would make the track a lot better ! Think about surface properties changes.

Anyway, thanks for the track. ;)

Posted: 17 Dec 2008, 04:45
Aeon
I dunno, ice + AI seems to create bad combinations. :P

The original Aspiria didn't have anything like that either, its just a race track built in the snow.

I suppose it would be cool to have a section of track dip below a frozen body of water, with an icy env-mapped plane on top of it. You could see the track going by below, but you'd be driving on the ice above it.

Unfortunately that's the kind of thing you have to plan for before you start building the track in the first place.

Posted: 17 Dec 2008, 06:05
jaseaka
um what car did u race on this track...i used toyeca and did alittle over 4min on a 3lap race.

Posted: 17 Dec 2008, 07:32
Aeon
As stated in the other thread:

Install a new instance of Re-Volt and clear the cars folder, then download this zip file and unzip its contents into the cars folder. That'll give you 17 POD cars that the track above was designed for.

http://www.byond.com/members/Foomer/fil ... reCars.zip

Posted: 17 Dec 2008, 08:45
zagames
Very nice, but like KiWi said, we could use some icy sections. I really think you should look more into 3dmax or other modeling programs to build smoother tracks for the fast cars. Overall, pretty good track.

Posted: 17 Dec 2008, 12:24
Aeon
You also have to consider how much of a time investment is required when you start getting into the actual 3d modeling part. I built this entire track in a single day, aside from the fact that the textures were already setup from the previous track. If I were to start modeling things from scratch, a track like this could end up taking months. I don't have that kind of time to invest.

In the end though I feel that "icy sections" is probably more of a Re-Volt tradition than a necessity for this track. Just because the setting is cold doesn't mean it has to effect the track itself. It is just a setting.

I do think this track could use a few more landmark features though, I just couldn't think of anything good to add.

I'm kind of basing the setups of these tracks off of the tracks from Extreme-G 3. In XG3 you raced through all sorts of settings - cities, forests, ice caps, canyons, deserts and oceans. But the settings were just settings that the track wove through, like taking a roller coaster ride. The roller coaster never derails, it always stays on its tracks and flows through the scenery. That's the kind of feeling I'm trying to create.

XG3 created that feeling. XGRA, its sequel, didn't. Everyone agrees, XGRA sucked.

Posted: 17 Dec 2008, 23:11
urnemanden
never heard of that track. But sounds interresting. ;)

Posted: 18 Dec 2008, 14:51
Aeon
W00t! I just placed 1st at 3:11 driving Gremlin! Beat that!

Posted: 19 Dec 2008, 21:53
Dave-o-rama
finally a sequel! It looks great, too.

Posted: 20 Dec 2008, 06:10
Aeon
Bah, I just realized that the clipping distance does nothing to improve the frame rate. I can make the entire track visible and it runs just as fast/slow. So it looks like I'm going to have to go back through sometime and find some lower-poly models to use in the distance as snow mounds.

Posted: 20 Dec 2008, 07:19
Adamodell
Scrooge @ Dec 20 2008, 01:40 AM wrote: Bah humbug, I just realized that the clipping distance does nothing to improve the frame rate. I can make the entire track visible and it runs just as fast/slow. So it looks like I'm going to have to go back through sometime and find some lower-poly models to use in the distance as snow mounds.
Sorry, I had to. I don't know, maybe you could just remove the models altogether at a distance.

Posted: 20 Dec 2008, 07:41
zagames
(Vizibox)

Posted: 20 Dec 2008, 07:43
Aeon
I used some visiboxes already, but at this size they're a pain in the rear to install and I simply didn't add enough, it seems. It just seems obnoxious that the draw distance doesn't act as as a box around the player that ignores trying to render everything outside that range...